1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Planning To Divorce And Pregnant.. Please Advice Me.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Blush, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Blush

Blush Senior IL'ite

I have been married for 6 years and have 1 child. Our married life was mostly happy with the usual ups and downs. My husband used to give me a lot of freedom. We lived with my in laws and even there everything was smooth sailing with minor hiccups.

During the second year of my married life, I found that my husband was cheating on me emotionally with another woman. I confronted him. He cried and admitted his mistake. He held my leg and asked for forgiveness. He promised he will never do it again and begged me not to let his parents or anybody know about this. Being a fool, I trusted him and didn't let anyone know. I myself deleted all the evidence I had for that affair.

Next 3 years went smoothly. Initially I used to always check his phone as it took a long time for me to start trusting him again. But gradually I believed he is faithful and stopped checking his phone.

About 3 weeks back, I started having some doubts about his behavior. I could sense that something was wrong. So again without his knowledge, I checked his phone and to my horror, found that he was having an affair with a divorced lady. I lost control that day. I didn't ask him anything at first and directly went to my in laws and told everything. I showed them the proof. They were so shocked. They couldnt believe but since I had all the proof, they immediately called my husband and questioned him. He had no idea this was coming and so he admitted to everything and then started the same crying and holding legs drama. But this time I didnt relent at all and left to my house with my kid.

My parents are fully supportive of whatever decision I take. Since coming here, my husband is crying and calling me everyday. I blocked him and then he started messaging in whatsapp. He says he has really changed and will never repeat it. My in laws family is a very respected family in their place. For them to have a divorce in their family is like death. My in laws are begging me to come back. They are promising me that they will never let him do anything like this again. My mil is calling me and crying. My husband says he cant imagine life without us and that he has really learned a lesson.

But even through all this, I was determined to go ahead with divorce. I just started looking for a job and have enrolled my child in a new school here. But i think God has not finished testing me. Today I found out I am pregnant. I am completely broken. All the courage that I had when I left that house just went away. How can I bring another child to this mess..

Friends should i rethink divorce?? I feel really guilty to have an abortion. I want the baby. But how can I live with this cheater?

2. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

You are a strong woman and lucky to have supportive parents.
    I personally feel your decision is right.No need to abort the baby but consider the child as a blessing and your strength.

He is the loser here losing out on a wonderful family.

If he had truly changed,no problem giving him a chance which you did but he did it again.He might do it again.

It might be tough initially but you will be fine.

God bless you dear

3. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

OP, we can all advise but eventually it's your life and so should be your decision. I would say, follow your heart. It can't and won't mislead you in any situation. Only you know exactly the situation as you are there.

Personally speaking, as you involved PIL's this time and you say it's that important for them I feel he will not repeat again. If you did this the last time maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation now but that's fine. We all know how it is when we want to make all our dreams come true and just can't put a stop to all of them by ourselves. We would do the same as you did. Totally understandable.

If I were you I would give him yet another last chance, for the sake of the kids, PIL's and myself but with a strict warning including PIL's and parents too that once more will be the end of it all, no questions asked. All the Best!

4. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

For some more time dont go back , let him feel your anger and absence. After that u might probably consider giving a second chance. Single motherhood with two kids ia tough. Consider counselling as well.

skalluri, rachaputi, shama146 and 2 others like this.
  5. foxybeat

foxybeat Platinum IL'ite

As someone who gave a chance to a cheating ex once (by myself) only to find out nothing has cheated but he was still cheating on me with prostitutes and multiple women .... am going to say .. no one will change unless they want to.
    I would say take some time and then decide what you want to do. You dont need to decide anything right now. Since your parents are supporting you maybe take a break , stay with them and decide. Its your life and only you can decide what you want to happen for yourself !

PILs can say they will take responsibility for their son , but worst case if if happens again, what will happen ? Will they support you or their son( their blood). In my case my ex FIL himself knew that he was cheating on me during the marriage and what did he do,... hide it from me. After I told his folks that he was cheating on me, I have heard everything from "We will keep him with us all the time so he wont have chance to do this" to " You pls try to change him " to "HE is a guy and thats how they will be, nothing wrong in it, you have to adjust with all that and live with him" .

So why should I put my happiness in the hands of such people. I decide my happiness. I would say the same for you ...whatever you decide (stay with husband or leave) ..... you decide your happiness. A happy mother = happy kids!

sneha1985, NeetaR and GeetaKashyap like this.
  6. GlobetrotterG

GlobetrotterG Silver IL'ite

Objectively, if i were thinking, during these times you need to juggle too many things such as living by yourself, searching for a job, going through divorce proceedings, caring for your first kid , may be some other dependants like your parents , etc etc. Plus bringing a new child into your life is really going to be stressful for the kid and you.

So, the question is "Can you manage all the above? "

The answer lies in many factors such as your financial independence, Maturity to handle, Family support etc. You need to be very practical and not let by emotions , to decide on the answer.

If the answer is 'Yes', you must be blessed with lots of support such as family, career etc.

If the answer is 'No', you would not want your new born to go through the stressful times. So, Please decide accordingly.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  7. Brevity

Brevity Gold IL'ite

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. I think your husband truly regrets his actions. But cheating is his nature. If it were me, I wouldn't be able to trust him again.

If he is a good father, stay in the same city. Have joint custody of kids, demand child support. With a young child and another one on the way get all the support you can from your parents, financial support from him but don't go back to being his wife unless you are ok with the cheating. Keep proof of all the cheating and contact a lawyer.

NeetaR, shravs3, Deborah and 2 others like this.
  8. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Hello OP,

I am sorry that you are going through such challenges. I don't think you need to rethink this divorce. I think you have already lost trust in your marriage, and you know there is no going back about that. With the pregnancy, it is fear that is making you question whether you can weather this life change.

I can understand the guilt you feel about aborting the pregnancy, and this is really coming down to your choice. But keep in mind that a child will not save your marriage, because you already have one and your husband is still a cheater. Having this child will put a lot of strain on you, and your parents and your child. Separating parents is a big change to the family dynamic, but so is adding another member. In normal circumstances, elder children struggle to find balance after the birth of a sibling. Your child will definitely lose attention amidst all this, so please keep that in your mind.

Now, you can't live with this cheater, you already know this. But if you REALLY wanted to stay and have a child, maybe you can recreate your marriage, into a co-parenting partnership. This would require rewriting the rules in your marriage BUT it might appease the most people. Socially and financially, you will still have a marriage - but you will have to discuss on the inner working to make things sustainable day to day.

Or, you can continue with your original plan, which is also not an easy path, but you have the support system and the will, so you will persevere.

I'm not really giving you an answer, but whatever you do, do not make a decision out of fear. You will regret it. Instead weigh out your options, and what makes sense to the important people in your life (including you). Be selfish (in a sense), it's ok- you must prioritize your own wellbeing, to be a good parent to your child. Do not return to the marriage, if you feel like it will emotionally crush you - there is no sense in that.

Sunshine04 and GeetaKashyap like this.
  9. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

@BhumiBabe is right. this is one of the reasons i believe, marriage is all about trust. once broken , it can never be the same. it will be physically hard to raise kids but raising kids in disfunctional environment is even more hard .

rest is your choice. since we cannot dictate others life.

10. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

My suggestion not to proceed with divorce. but don't keep him in your heart..but keep near to his kids.. Completely ignore his presence in your life and start living your own. May be on a latter stage he may come back to your life.

GlobetrotterG and periamma like this.