Planning Coaching

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by messedup, Aug 21, 2018.

1. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thank you so very much for the reply. All points are very important. Specially the point 3. Will collect the question papers online and take the print. It will be really very useful. Thanks a lot.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You've got many good points already. Some more that came to mind:
    - Create a website. A basic one to get started. Distracted and busy parents need one place with all information. Emails and printed or e-flyers get lost here and there. Keep website simple.

- Provide some thing that people get for free. Such as information on your website about general topics like local schools, competitions, study habits, importance of sleep.

- Don't be too accommodating or flexible because you are starting off. Have some basic rules and policies in place. Such as registration process, when payment is due, missed classes policy, withdrawing child mid-session.

- From the beginning, set some format for how parents talk to you and when. I see parents talking to teacher at drop off or pick up time, and that is such a bad idea.

- If you are not doing any screening or diagnostic testing before accepting students, be careful on what results you promise. The competitive coaching centers promise a certain relative improvement, not an absolute one.

- Start gathering testimonials from parents and students as soon as possible. Put them on website. Get them in writing. I am most prompt in sending testimonial if instructor sends me some questions, and offers to edit my testimonial for my final review. Ask students to make video testimonials. My kids spent more time on that video than on class homework. : )

- Any venture with friend(s) can strain the friendship. Keep things businesslike. Put down distribution of work, earnings etc in writing. The partner with more family responsibility should not take advantage of the other one.

Good luck. With teaching you will form special relationships with students and parents. I still remember some of my kids' teachers and instructors, coaches, and go meet them even now after many years.

messedup likes this.
  3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

M,
    One thought came to my mind. Always stick to your goal as a teacher. What do you want best for the child ? You will have challenges from some parents and so don’t get personal with parents. Keep it purely professional. Parents will have lots of suggestions too. So have a plan how to deal with them politely and at the same time not compromising on your goal.

if possible have a planned parent teacher meeting only. Have a means to communicate weekly on updates homework tests any concerns etc. and avoid conversations while drop off / pick up.

(Ignore this if Im wrong).

messedup likes this.
  4. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the reply mam. You too have suggested great points. I didn't thought of website yet but can do it later. Not to get engaged with parents at that time suggested by you and jskls mam is really great idea. I too have seen many wasting time like that. Will work on all the points. Thank you for such valuable inputs.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  5. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thank you for thinking about it again mam. Its really so nice of you. Will keep all your points in mind and will try to keep it more professional than personal. Thanks a lot.

6. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thank you everyone once again for taking out time for me. I really got many valuable suggestions that will help me a lot. Some are for immediate help and others I can opt in near future. If everything goes well it will start by next month. Rest god only knows. Thanks a lot really not able to express how much I got from this forum.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  7. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Congrats @messedup! And best wishes on your new venture.

There's lots of good advice in this thread. A couple more points:

Make sure you fulfill licensing requirements, if any.

Have a plan for what to do in case a child has a medical emergency.

Plan for what to do with kids whose parents don't pick them up punctually. There's always that one parent who thinks it's okay for their child to stay late since the class is in your home. One way to get out of free baby sitting is to state a stiff financial penalty in your contract for picking kids up late — sort of like overtime.

I'm sure you'll rock this. :)

messedup, nakshatra1 and shravs3 like this.
  8. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Thanks..will take care of this..☺️

Amica likes this.