Places to visit in Delhi

Discussion in 'Places & Events in Delhi' started by shel_28, Jan 4, 2010.

1. amritasharma

amritasharma Senior IL'ite

Dear Shel,

The Garden of Five Senses is a vibrant display of thoughtfully landscaped plants and flowers, murals, spiral walkways, waterfalls, ceramic bells, sculptures and rocks. Live music is often played in the amphitheatre.

The food court serves a wide variety of cuisines that excite the taste buds.
    The garden opens at six in the morning and closes at nine in the night. The entry is free of cost.

Do spend some time at India Gate. It is located at Rajpath, near <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street><st1:address>Connaught Place</st1:address></st1:Street>. India Gate, at the center of <st1:City><st1:place>New Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>, is a war memorial. This towering archway was built in memory of the Indian soldiers who laid their lives fighting for the British Army during the World War I.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  2. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Anandhi,

Its nice to see your FB.:)

3. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Dear Amrita,

Its good that you know quite a lot of places in Delhi. :cheers Thanks for sharing everything in detail.
    Yesterday my friend told me about garden of 5 senses. Its really interesting. I shouldn't miss it in my tour!

4. paru72

paru72 Silver IL'ite

hey!how can u forget QUTUB MINAR.HUH!u have dolls musuem,rail museum

5. amritasharma

You must make it a point to visit the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place><st1:placeName>Lodi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place>. This place provides a serene retreat from the hustle and bustle of the busy city. It is the place to come after some hectic days of sight-seeing.

The vast gardens were built by the British in 1936 around the tombs of 15<SUP>th</SUP> and 16<SUP>th</SUP> century rulers. We visited <st1:place><st1:placeName>Lodi</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType>Gardens</st1:placeType></st1:place> on this Christmas and I loved the place. I found young couples, yoga enthusiasts and joggers enjoying the ambience.
    The entry does not cost anything. The garden is open everyday, but we were told that Sundays and holidays were very crowded.

It is located on <st1:Street><st1:address>Lodi Road</st1:address></st1:Street>, not far from Humayun’s Tomb.

6. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Thank you Paru for your FB. :)
    Definitely won't miss it.

7. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Amirta,

Thanks for your information. :) Noted down Lodi garden in my list.

8. amritasharma

Dear Shel,

I forgot to mention that you must try and stop by India Gate in the evening. It glows warmly and brightly under floodlights at night. The gardens that line its boulevard are flocked by visitors in summer evenings.

On the Christmas day, we also visited the Humayun’s Tomb. It houses the body of the second Mughal Emperor, Humayun, who was the son of Babur. The tomb was built in 1570 and it was the first of this type of Mughal architecture that was built in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>India</st1:place></st1:country-region>. This looks a bit like the Taj Mahal. It was the inspiration of Taj Mahal’s creation.

9. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Dear Amrita
    It was nostalgic to read about the India Gate. The India Gate is synonmous with the character of New Delhi. It is one of the three flames in New Delhi which are constantly burning in homage. The flame at India Gate honours the memory of the Indian soldier. The President of India, lays a wreath at the India Gate before the start of the Republic Day parade every year. Another flame burns at the Rajghat in memory of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation.
    Delhi is famous for its scorching summers. When we were kids, my father used to take us to the India Gate lawns on summer evenings. We used to pack some food and call up our cousins as well. There were ice creams and balloons. It was really a great time.....

10. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

Hi Amrita
    There are some interesting aspects of the Humayun Tomb in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. It was the first Mughal monument to be placed inside a well laid out garden. Many say that it was the inspiration for the Taj Mahal at <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Agra</st1:place></st1:City>.
    When we visited the Humayun Tomb recently, our guide compared the Humayun Tomb and the Taj Mahal. He pointed out that while the Humanyun Tomb was constructed on the orders of a widow in memory of her late husband, Taj Mahal was constructed by a widower in memory of his late wife. While the Humanyun Tomb has extensive use of red sandstone with a cupola of white marble, at the Taj Mahal there is a big red sanstone gate at the entrance and the entire building of white marble.