1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pills to Stop Lactation...Yes or No???????

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by swaran, Mar 28, 2011.

1. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mommies,

DD is 19 months and i still BF her but she is getting too fussy with other foods...and as many of you might know,she doesn't drink milk or formula...consulted 2-3 Pediatricians,gynacologist, all say better to stop BF.....she still takes night feeds...i have no objection BF but when i think of her eating habits,i am forced to stop it now...tried stopping it gradually,dint work...she actually drinks for the time for which she was not fed...we tried taking her to another place for 4-5 days during which she was completely fine but then when she came back,she wants to drink from mommy...since my supply is also fine,she enjoys....staying away from her,applying neem paste...no nothing works especially during nights,she drinks with the neem oil....and absilutely there is no stopping during weekends...also when someone keeps her away from me,i get problems since my B become full and it starts to pain
    Gyna has suggested CABERLIN tablets which says would stop the milk in two days(1/2 tablet morning and eve for 2 days)...provided DD doesn;t keep sucking...but my concerns are
    (1)whether this is fine?
    (2)since this is my first baby,will these tablets prevent or hinder my lactation for the second one?

any of you or your friends have tried?...feedbacks please

So please help me...or is there any other oil or powder(herbal similar to neem) which has worked better for you?

Thanks in Advance

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

2. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Swaran,

I would suggest you ask the same gyne regarding the side-effects and the precautions you should take before, during and after using these pills.

If you are not entirely satisfied with her answers, go for a second opinion.

It is always better to get a qualified doctor's opinion in such matters as the medicine effects, especially if related to hormones, vary a lot from person to person.

-Lakshmi

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks lakshmi...i did ...the doctor too said that if my LO keeps sucking,there is no use in the tablet...but apart from that ,she dint say anything

hence i want some feedback from mommies who have used or seen using the tablet....

4. prana

prana IL Hall of Fame

Swaran,

yes yor doc is correct..if she still continues,then there is no use in taking tablet...For stopping BF,what I did was, I just ground bittergaurd and applied..she hate that smell and apparently stopped sucking...Just try this...I think the smell of bittergaurd would be more worse than neem...

5. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks for the suggestion dear prana,....i actually wanted to slowly stop BF rather than all of a sudden...but did your DD stop all of a sudden?...i mean how where your supply after she stopped...i mean how basically you prevented the pain in your Bs?..

any one you know has used this tablet?...i need more information on that?

6. ansureeba

ansureeba Bronze IL'ite

Hi Swaran,

I did breastfeed my kid till 2 years 3 months. I wanted to continue feeding since his feeds were scheduled twice in a day. But fortunately or unfortunately he self weaned.

To reduce the supply i stopped drinking milk. Eating chilled cabbage also helped me.

It was very difficult for few weeks since my flow was good. It was paining badly. But was able to do it without taking any medicines.

Don't have any idea about the tablet which you have mentioned.
    One of my friend had to take some tablet to stop lactation, but it's her first child.

All the best...

Regards,
    Ansu:)

7. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

thanks for sharing your experience ansu....

8. amritavarshini

amritavarshini Bronze IL'ite

swaran..i'm also facing the same problem as u...my daughter is 16 months old, from last month she is also very fussy about food...she stopped having solids completely and was on breast milk exclusively for 1 month..that has made me very weak..i'm just 39kg now...and she feeds all through the night...i have ample milk supply and i want to feed her till 2 years but unfortunately my health is not allowing me...now i'm not working and there isnt anybody at home, so all through out the day she is with me and demands milk...and now she has become very fussy...i'm not sure whether it is good to have tablets to stop lactation bcz i read somewhere that it is not advisable...i think there are issues of breast cancer, well i am not sure...so do put in a word with ur paed/ gynec...did u try bitter gourd?may be u can take the juice and apply..well my DD likes bitter gourd so i dont think it will work for me...

9. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi Amritha...thanks a bunch....your DD then demands just like mine...39kgs,OMG that would be very low i believe....take care dear
    but then have you stopped or trying to stop BF....what other foods is your DD eating???
    bittergourd yes one of our fellow ILite has also recommended...need to try that now

thanks a lot for your warning too :)

10. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Swarnan, This is a so controversial that BF increases solid intake...some say NO and most old timers say yes.

I will share my personal experience with Manu. She is like your DD in food habits. Lil solids, BF and no milk in any form was her story 1.5 months back. I went for a second opinion and Paed suggested that BF is not bad, but till 1 year is really appreciated, but i must make efforts to wean her ASAP.

I tried for 1 month and nothing worked..(i didnt apply neem etc..)but tried giving her water or warm milk when she is thirty..finally i gave in to her demand.
    But last few weeks, i have considerably reduced BF to just 1-2 time only (esp in nights alone) as even paed said night weaning is not easy.I notice her appetite has gone up (she is taking tonic-appetizer too).I offered her milk in sippy and she gulped it down last week. Now,I follow a pattern to offer milk, biscuits etc if shes hungry,thirsty. Night, before bed i feed her.

Sorry.. i know this didn't answer your question, but I just wanted to tell you that minimizing BF did help Manu increase food intake.

Please check with a doc reg your Q on those pills. I will also check out from my friends and relatives, if they have used this.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011