Personal Security While On A Trip Abroad

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Nonya, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Yes, many days after my project releases I have returned home late and my colleagues too. Not a single day I faced anything I was working for 8 yrs.

Sunburst and Naari like this.
  2. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I would like to come to the OP's (@Nonya's) defence as she is being piled upon unnecessarily. I think her fears are valid.

Those who find India safe should live there. Those who think the West is safer, should live there.

Most of the people calling India safe do not live here.

I do think there are large parts of the West that are not safe. However, overall, I feel more comfortable there approaching the police et cetera.

It depends upon one's culture. If one is more culturally Indian then one is more likely to be enmeshed in the lives of one's neighbours and can rely on them for help. I prefer relying on the police and state authorities which I cannot do in India.

There have been many instances of people just standing by and watching and not doing anything.

It is about perception. We cannot go running to moderators just because somebody calls India a third-world country.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  3. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

I beg your pardon?

4. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Umanga, I am a mixed case, I find India safe, but live abroad, what do I do?:) Btw, I did not leave India because it was unsafe, if you are going to ask me to move back to India because I think it is safe.

It's just a discussion, nobody's piling up on anyone! Isn't the entire reason for posting here to discuss?

Sandycandy and Sunburst like this.
  5. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Yes, but people may end up feeling isolated and I am trying to avoid that.

I feel unsafe in India and envy all those who don't.

It's funny how different all of us are :)

Actually, the IL Code of Conduct states that we are not supposed to discuss with each other, only respond to the OP. But, nobody really follows that. The moderators swoop in and cite that rule when things get heated and out of hand :)

I certainly think that tagging the admins and asking a post to be removed for calling India a third-world country is a bit too much.

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

Same here. It was very normal for us to take trains and autos in Mumbai and come home late at night . Never ever faced any issues . It is a very common thing in Mumbai to see women catching late night trains, infact the trains are super crowded and I always felt safe . However, it's not that common in places like Delhi so caution must be observed .

Having said that , robbery, muggery , rape happens everywhere in the world . If you go to the hood in parts of big cities like LA, NY, Chicago, you are calling yourself for trouble. No sane person on Earth would venture out alone in such places .

But what I don't see in the west is the usual grabbing ,sexual harrasment or worse acid attacks that happens in broad daylight in India in crowded places like buses, malls , railway stations. And it is so common and happens on a regular basis even in tier 1 cities. I have never encountered such issues in the west. There are times I go alone for a late night walk or hit the gym after putting the kids to sleep but never ever faced anything like that. Also , the law and order here is much better than India and there is no doubt in that . I being a woman feel quite safe to approach the police here . In India , it's hard to trust the police as most of them are corrupted .
    I would never dare to go to police station all by myself .

People who love to bash India should be ignored . I see some posters here who always bring India in every possible discussions and they have the same trend of belittling India and Indians in general . It's hard to change someone's perception and by responding to such post, we are only giving them more attention . Calling india a third world country indicates a lack of sensitivity, humanity and also vocabulary!! Shame that such a wonderful country has produced by products who take no pride in their roots whatsoever .

MNR, Sandycandy, Naari and 1 other person like this.
  7. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Just curious, can you share your age or age range? I know that older people in India are extra cautious opening doors (like checking keyholes and sort) in India, just because of their age and scared of anyone breaking into the house. But, that's true for old ppl everywhere, isn't it?

Sandycandy, Sunburst and Puttabbay like this.
  8. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

Haha!

9. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

If you don't reply, you will be deemed a woman ! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:I have only heard "never ask a woman her age" !

Sandycandy likes this.
  10. Umanga

Umanga Gold IL'ite

No no, this is all very funny. I should have kept my mouth shut and not participated in this thread.

Bye now.