Pensée: E & G Chatter

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Oriana, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hmm. How about we amend and clearly state the purview of this thread in the first post? I'll check with Cim too.

2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Is 'No Comment' a permitted response? :tonguewink:

3. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

There has been confusion and contention in recent times over the scope of this thread.
    Why was it hosted? What is allowed? What is frowned upon?

Here's a brief history:

This thread was created to host peripheral discussions that spin from the original threads. I wanted my creature comforts: There's no space! I want space, I want more space! Hence, this thread was created so that I can argue with sokanasanah over this misleading usage of "at one remove" and jaw-drop at Gauri's lyrical "oceanic oscillations" (babe! what kind of technocrat jargon is that). This room was created to indulge in such tangential banter without disrupting the flow of the main thread. Over a period of time, this thread became the de facto go-to for all kinds of amusing and incidental talk. Thereafter, I leveraged this thread to yak with Gauri on science fiction and tweet with Kaniths on Chinese history.

I wanted this thread to resonate with other threads in E & G i.e. focus on learning and adhere to topics, however, distinguish itself with an overarching and organic texture in being stimulating and productive. The contributions could range from silly banter to sharp criticism yet the ethos was not to degenerate this thread into another chat thread. I wanted to maintain certain pride and playfulness in the discussions however disjunctive they seem from the main threads while upholding the spirit of the forum to retreat from effete and pulpy discussions. Moreover, I didn't wish this thread to devolve and beaten down into feminist cred or not even wrong gibberish that blight most of our IL threads.

When Gauri says,
    I want to add, "You must read last week's article on the implications of three-parent baby and the mitochondrial transplant. Have you read the new findings, everything is not hunky-dory"

When kaniths' brings up creative art, I want to pitch in, "'Fractured Fairy Tale' will interest you. You will love Peabody and Sherman. Watch the movie and let me know how many puns you sighted".

When Gauri recommends Science of Interstellar by Kip Thorne, I pull up this video and want to inquire, "Did you pay attention to that 'bulk people' in the dialogue? I missed it". We will giggle on the ending of the movie. So that's the brane and bulk and wormhole of the fifth dimension which I missed while ogling at the floating McConaughey.

When someone writes "a cafe at stone's throw", I want to rush here and reflect, "Stone's throw is cliched. Perhaps that sentence can be reworded as 'cafe within earshot', 'cafe within spitting distance', 'cafe within shouting distance'".

This thread is not to perpetuate intellectual elitism or espouse vanity. This thread is to summon everyone who exhibits fair bit of curiosity in tangential swing from the primordial threads while respecting the modality and tone of this thread. We can be silly but not petty, we can argue by not assailing, we can postulate but not pontificate, we can do this way or that way and here at E & G and in this thread esp. my aim was to diffuse friction and conflict with wit and reason and awaken curiosity with fun.

This thread has outlived the outcrop of addendum and marginal notes or the lack thereof. I'm all for new beginnings and fresh approaches. Pensee v 2.0 is a brilliant idea! Go ahead.

vaidehi71, kaniths and Gauri03 like this.
  4. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Adding more paranoia to the 2016 political and fiscal outcome, here is an amusing website and some reading to go with it.

Wired article

Inverse article

I am inured to such intrusion into my digital habits. However for the faint-hearted and the paranoid, watch your step and hover and cookies and pretzels.

kaniths likes this.
  5. Gauri03

One screenshot?! What about the rest of the brilliant documentary? When are you posting that? :D

6. Gauri03

Pensee V2.0 it shall be! New thread for the new year. I've been itching to shed the rancorous baggage and start afresh.

kaniths likes this.
  7. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

The rest of the documentary will be available on blue-ray (only) which also includes behind-the-scenes footage and uncut director's version. I will courier those digital rushes (postage to be paid by you).

Afresh! Anew! Ab initio!
    Do the Frenchies have any alliteration in such a series?

8. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

Any volunteers?

Meow.png

9. Gauri03

10. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

There is a reason why all the four rats are not alike.
    You see the pudgy rat to the right staring at the cord and at not the bell. That's me!

(it also has a slightly longer mischievous tail than the rest)

Not only my documentaries but my doodles also have such nuanced touches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.