Paruppu Payasam / Pradhaman (Moong Dal Kheer)

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Dhivya5, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

View attachment 160047
    Hi,
    Today i'm posting my first blog entry. So it is a sweet today. I decided to make paruppu pradhaman / payasam today for our anniversary as my hubby likes it a lot and my kids love it too. Its a speciality of Kerala always served during any occasion or festival.

Ingredients:
    Moong Dal (Paasi pruppu) - 250gms
    Jaggery - 350 gms
    Coconut - 2 no.s
    Ghee - 3 Tbsp
    Cashew - 2tbsp
    Raisins - 2 tbsp
    Sabudana (Javvarisi) - 2tbsp
    Coconut pieces - 2 tbsp
    Cardamom powder - 1/2 tsp
    Dry Ginger powder - 1/2 tsp

Method:
    Dry roast the dal till aroma comes in medium flame. Pressure cook with 2 cups of water and mash well and keep it aside. Grate two coconuts and extract first thick milk by blending it with a cup of water. Then add 2 cups of water to the strained coconut and again extract milk in another container. This is the second milk. Then again add 2 cups of water to the coconut mixture and blend it and extract the third milk. Keep this separately in another container. Boil the Javvarisi or sabudana in a seperate vessel stirring now and then to prevent it from sticking and continue until it gets cooked. Now pour 11/2 cups water to the jaggery (slightly crushed) and allow it to heat. Stir slowly till the jaggery melts. Now strain away the impurities and again keep it to boil. When it boils well, add the mashed dal to it and stir well continuously to smoothen out the lumps formed. Keep stirring gradually and when the mixture begins to boil really well, simmer the flame. Boil until the mixture gets thick and to this add the third coconut milk and stir well and let it boil well. Stir occasionally. After a while, the mixture would gradually become thick now add the second coconut milk and cooked javvarisi and repeat the process like before. When the mixture thickens, add the first milk and stir well. When the mixture begins to boil slightly add the cardamom and dry ginger powder and stir. Meanwhile heat a kadai and pour ghee and fry cahews, raisins and lastly the coconut piecet until golden brown. Now toss this over the pradhaman and give a final stir and switch off. This payasam can be served hot or cold. Also it will become more thick after cooling.
    Enjoy this with your family.
    Bon Appetite!

2. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yummy payasam. Pic looks inviting.

3. honeybee

honeybee Gold IL'ite

Hi Dhivi
    Welcome to blogging in IL.Such a delicious start!
    I have grabbed my share fromthe monitor.
    Thanks.. I enjoyed your anniversary too.
    Happy wedding anniversary.
    regards
    honeybee

4. Dhivya5

Dhivya5 Gold IL'ite

Thank u Ramyamani and Honeybee for your valuable comments:).