1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Part 7 –mythili- The Full Moon And Breeze In My Life Handling Mil,snakes,tsunami And Second Honey M

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Mar 12, 2020.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

PART 7 –Mythili- the Full Moon and breeze in my life

Handling MIL,Snakes,Tsunami and second honey moon

Remembered the yester years-friends

why today is not as happy as old days

Hundred relations have sprung up

yet where is the peace I am searching for

We shifted to our small beach house 500 meters away from the sea and 25 kms from the city on East Coast Road.My mother stayed with me for some time and there was a palpable air of friction between Mythili and her MIL.I was waiting for an opportunity to bring about truce between the two.To attend to persistent cough,I took Mythili to Batras homeopathy clinic.On return my mother wanted to know the details.I replied”useless fellows asking all sorts of unconnected questions”Such as- my mother querried.The Doctor asked Mythili about her relationship with her Mil-whether she smiled at her-whether there were complaints of excess or less salt,tamarind or spice in your cooking”.etc.My mother looked me and asked Mythili´‘am I not friendly with you and do I complain about the food? all the time looking suspiciciously at me.Mythili roared with laughter unable to control herself and in the process gave me away.My mother said that I had not changed a bit even after sixty years.There was thaw in their relationship after this episode.

Ours was the only beach house in the layout.Velu and Chinnamma stayed in the servant quarters as security and servant.I had a dashund breed dog with a disproportionate decibel level to his size.We had an unfettered view of the sea.I developed a good garden with Almonda flowers sneaking through the windows in the kitchen,Every morning Mythili would go into the garden with a basket and pluck flowers against the rule and hum a tune as a sign of defiance,Snakes and rats were our companions.One day I noticed a snake in my lawn.Mythili rushed into her room and bolted the door.Velu,our watchman called “Chinnamma come with camphor.In the meanwhile the Nepali watchman in our neighbours house came and helped us to chase the snake away.I fired Velu”what do you mean by sitting on your fat bum with a snake having a leisurely stroll in our garden and your asking Chinnamma to bring camphor.”Sir in our village a cobra had come in front of our hut.Chinnamma brought camphor-I addressed the snake-what harm have I done-will you promise not to come again-the cobra shook its head three times-a promise never to visit my house ever again.”After a stupified silence I told him that Chennai cobras were different and instead of horizontal movement of the hood ,it will be forward movement towards him..It was after repeated and combined assurance,father head promise,mother head promise etc Mythili came out of the room.

We used to sit with villagers in front of our gate and chat about rituals,cooking receipes,marriages, dowry etc for an hour or two in the evening.Mythili enjoyed the conversation free of pretence and offering simple solutions to complex problems.Carrying mats,taperecorder we used to relax on the terrace to the roar of the waves and the chill sea breeze and enjoyed the melody of Mohamed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar.It was heaven on earth.

Our rendezvous with tranquillity was shattered when Tsunami struck the area.My brothers family had come for a holiday.On that fateful day,I took my brother for a morning walk to Maya Jal on the highway instead of my normal walk on the sea sand sans chappals. When we returned there was total chaos.people had entered washed out houses and taken away whatever they could lay their hands on.Sea waves came upto around 250 meters from our home.Immediately I packed Mythili and my brothers family into the car and sent them away.I refused to go as I felt that it was immoral to risk the lives of Velu and Chinnamma to save our house.I prepared a safe place over the water tank in my house and stocked it with enough eatables.Quite a number of villagers and fishermen were accommodated in my house.Tsunami receded and I left for the city in the night.Mythili was frieightened beyond consolation and we shifted to our flat in the city,renting out the beach house.

To bring excitement and togetherness I suggested to Mythili that we would go on an unplanned vacation in our car for ten days.I was evasive when she asked for the itinerary.On the first day when she asked for the plan I asked her where she wanted to go.She was taken aback-seriously she asked.When I said yes she suggested Pondicherry. She was mesmerised when she sat near the Samadhi.I had to call her after an hour lest she should decide to stay in the Ashram and leave me in a lurch.

The next day I did not reveal the place of visit.She could not believe her eyes when we reached POOMPUHAR[KAVERIPOOMPATTINAM] a flourishing ancient port in the Chola kingdom.We roamed about Poompuhar like mad and Mythili relived the Kovalan Kannagi tale.We visited a number of temples. Again I sprang a surprise by taking Mythili to Gangaikonda cholapuram not far away from Kumbakonam.She went beserk because she had savoured Akilans Vengaiyin Maindan word by word. Rajendra Chola built the temple in celebration of his victory over the kings in the north.The temple is around 1000 years old.What excited Mythili was that Akilan sat outside the temple facing east and started writing Vengaiyin Maindan,Mythili almost hugged me unmindful of the villagers who were telling her the real story but laced with spice of their own.

We went to Madurai and stayed in a five star hotel.We were not new to the five star experience but staying on your own and that too in your home town in a five star hotel was a different experience.After visiting a number of places including Tiruchendur we reached Courtallam.We revelled in the flowing waters of the water falls.Scared ,Mythili gripped my hand for security,the same grip I experienced when we got married.We returned to Chennai with a new meaning to our companionship and mutual respect for each other.

Part 8- TRAGEDY STRIKES AND THE END

happyperson, sindmani, MissH and 4 others like this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:A tight grip on the narration too remains sensational!
    Thanks and Regards.

GOD -
    Is it right SĪTĀ aka Jānaki aka Mythili Rāma ( @sln )

3. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

The real feeling cannot be matched by the narration.
    Regards SLN

Thyagarajan likes this.