Palakkad Iyer Ritual for UdagaShanthi, Vallakappu, Seemandham

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by ILU, Sep 10, 2014.

1. ILU

ILU New IL'ite

Hi,

I am a Keralite Iyer and would like somebody knowledgeable or follow this cultural tradition to explain me about things required to do UdagaShanthi, Vallakappu and Seemandham. I would like to know what i have to do and perform them accordingly.

I did read through some threads especially "Valaikappu & Seemantham" by Chitvish. However i am not sure if this practice is followed as such by Keralite Iyers or are there differences if any. Please highlight on all the functions performed.

In addition i would also like to know if the black bangle worn by new born baby is glass or plastic or metal?

I am eagerly looking forward for a response.

Thanks.

2. mrunalini01

mrunalini01 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

HI ILU

Welcome to indusladies community. Please complete your profile for better communication.
    Please go through Guide to Indusladies to knowmore about this site.
    Have further queries visit Knowledge Base
    [COLOR=#333333]Thank [/COLOR]you for joining us here and do participate in the discussion of your interest.

Am sure about this black bangle, it may be a glass or plastic, but not metal.

3. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

ILU,

Congrats on your baby!!! The seemandham / valaikaappu function is absolutely fun!

The best person to ask would be somebody at home. I am guessing you will be having a vadhyar. If so, it will most probably be a vadhyar from TN. Their traditions differ from ours. In my case, I am from Kerala, husband is from TN. My parents were here during the function, so they were able to tell him what our practices were (unfortunately don't remember - been many years).

As for the black bangle. Try and get the rubber ones. They are good because they are soft, easy to put for the baby (since it is not a hard fixed shape and a little stretchy). It is available all over the place in India. That would be the best as opposed to glass which can break, and metal - which if it is not good quality, may rust and harm the baby.