1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Paintings : Tanjore Paintings

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by theartisticone, Sep 5, 2008.

1. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

hi dipa,
    thanks a bunch! annam was suposed to be a non religious addition, the yashoda krishna my first trial, the bharathanatyam was supposed one of the series of 'indian classical dances':bonk, the baby ganesha's kolams were done on a whim - why not tryout kolams -they give you a totally light effect on the painting -unlike the carpet which is usually done in a contrast colour and personally i find it too heavy!!!
    am now almost completing the gold work in a dhanalakshmi, 3/4th gold work done on a meenakshi kalyanam, muck work done on a balarama krishna,....:biglaugh:bonk!
    i suddenly start a painting when it impreses me but due to time constraint, i am always short of time - i'm doing a kasuti sari as of now - have to finish it by oct!
    so............ you can have a look at my threads in the embroidery section as well to know what other things i dabble in!!!??:bonk:biglaugh:rotfl

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. madam

madam New IL'ite

Hi su,
    Please explain the following to me.the method to prepare a cone for doing the muck work.it will be of great help to all our ilites.is a plastic cover enough to make a cone?how do u roll it?how much of the muck we have to put inside a cone and how do u seal it?what is the proportion of the raw materials?can u please rectify these doubts?
    thanks

3. dipa19

dipa19 Senior IL'ite

Hi Su

Awaiting to see your Tanjore paintings on Dhanalakshmi, Balarama Krishna and Meenakshi Kalyanam in all their glory and equally eager for your kasuti work, for I am sure you will take my breath away with the beauty and perfection you have so far depicted in all your works.

Different dance forms in Tanjore will look amazing, and when typing this, am reminded of a glass board I saw in Coimbatore, where all the female characters done by Raja Ravi Varma were assembled on a single board. Maybe, you can think of a project on those lines, all dancers in single platform.

Dipa

4. madam

madam New IL'ite

Hi su,
    Please explain the following to me.the method to prepare a cone for doing the muck work.it will be of great help to all our ilites.is a plastic cover enough to make a cone?how do u roll it?how much of the muck we have to put inside a cone and how do u seal it?what is the proportion of the raw materials?can u please rectify these doubts?
    thanks

5. theartisticone

hi madam,
    you can use the plastic sheet from a milk cover or anyother item og grocery - it has to be pretty pliable -ie, not v stiff. fold the edge of the plastic sheet so it forms triangle of say 8-10cms, cut the sheet in the shape of the folded triangle - both the top and bottom layers- when u open up the cut piece u should have a perfect square. now make a tight fold at the edge of one of the corners - make a small cone shape, stick the edge of the folded part with cellotape.there should only be a v tiny hole in the edge of the cone shape. then roll the cone shape tightly taking care the cone is v tight - then stick the final layer with cellotape. the muck's consistency should be neither v thick nor v runny - it should be of a dripping/ idli batter consistency. the proportion is the same as the first layer muck - u can chk it out in my other thread
    http://www.indusladies.com/forums/paintings/61922-tanjore-painting-step-step-instructions.html
    you can also check out the other doubts you may have!

6. theartisticone

hi deepa,
    you have to wait quite some time for the paintings! kasuti sari i hope will be finished before nov 2009! :biglaugh
    your idea about the diff dance forms is really good, thanks will work on it - i'll put it in my to do list!:)

7. Rupadm

Rupadm Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    Am unable to view the paintings. Can't see the link.
    roopa

8. madam

madam New IL'ite

Hi su,
    thanks a lot for the prompt reply.i really struggle to make a cone.If i put the muck and tape it,it flows thro the other end :-(.what to do?is there any video of making a cone!!

9. theartisticone

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  10. theartisticone

hi madam,
    you have to fill the cone only to 3/4th of its capacity, then you should rol the remaining plastic sheet v tightly on top and seal the opening, u should also seal all the joints in the cone. if you give too much or uneven presure on the cone, the paste will start flowing out!
    :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009