1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Paintings : Tanjore Painting Instructions & Links to online videos

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by Padmash, May 27, 2007.

1. sumitha

sumitha Senior IL'ite

Re: want abt Tanjore ptng

Hello padmaji,
    A detailed description about the tanjore paintings and methods to make the art has been given in the site www.tanjorepaintingsvki.com ..PLease visit
    Sumitha

2. sumitha

sumitha Senior IL'ite

Re: want abt Tanjore ptng

Hi,
    Tanjore painting effects can be made by simply replacing the gold foils with the golden fabric paints.I had attempted one in the tanjore style in the same way..Do have a look at it on my blog page music,musings n more .Hope u will get an idea!!!
    Sumitha

3. bhu1985

bhu1985 New IL'ite

Re: tanjore glass painting

Hi,
    in tanjore glasspainting, u draw out;line, keeping picture on reverse side &do paintings only on reverse side picture of glass.unlike ordinary painting here u to paint little by little,not as stroke.it needs more attention in painting.
    tanjore painting u do it on a cardboard, use muck work, golden foil,& paints. its a big process

4. Dharap

Dharap New IL'ite

re: Paintings : Tanjore Painting Instructions & Links to online videos

Hi,
    Excellent set of instructions..Maddie....I just wanted to confirm that when you make cone..what are u filling it with...like outline with black lead as used in glass painting.
    Can I use precious stones and real gold leaf...where in the us would i get the real goldleaf booklets...if you or is it available online.
    Do you varnish it or something to preserve it...
    Thanks
    Dhara:hatsoff

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  5. visalamkrishnan

visalamkrishnan Silver IL'ite

Hi Maddie,
    :clap:hatsoff to you. You have explained the procedure in detail , so well.
    i am doing this art form for many years( approx 18 to 19 years) but i am doing in the old traditional method. Your method of using fevicol is easyer, but i heard that the life will not be so long like the old method of using only Arabic gum , lime and chalk. Now a days people started using paper instead of cloth like Mysore painting . You have given a wonderful explanation.BowBow.I would like to see your T. paintings.Please post all your work.
    Thanks a ton.
    wishes, visalamkrishnan

6. jujusuresh

jujusuresh Bronze IL'ite

Hi maddie,
    very clear explanation.Bowwaiting to see your painting.

7. Dharap

Dharap New IL'ite

Teach me Tanjore Paintings

Hello,
    I like to do arts and crafts...I always wanted to learn Tanjore Paintings. Does anyone know if there are any online teaching sessions for Tanjore Paintings. Or do they teach Tanjore paintings in the US prefreably in New York some where.
    Also does anyone know where do I get all the necessary supplies for doing a Tanjore Paintings.
    Please help I am desperately seeking to know how to do Tanjore paintings.
    I have this very nice picture of lord ganesha and I want to make that for my house.
    Please please please help someone.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Dhara

8. renupb

renupb New IL'ite

Hi Maddie,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Can you let me know where I can get the Tanjore painting materials in Bangalore, expecially the gold foil and beads?

Thanks
    Renu

9. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

Re: tanjore painting

Hi Kamala & Chandrika,
    I am a new ILite and am in Singapore, i have been practising the art of Tanjore painting for the past 12 years. sorry to say that u cant teach tanjore painting online let alone in a 2 or 3 day workshop. it is a very painstaking process right from making the canvas which we call a board to completing the last part which is the painting! I would advise you to contact a Mrs Lakshmi Krishnamoorthy in adayar chennai who also teaches tanjore at kalakshetra i'm sorry i dont know her number- kamala. Chandrika sorry i dontknow anybody in coimbatore but there should be someone teaching- check the internet for any advts regarding classes and please both of u go to the person's place and check th quality of work before u join.
    su.

10. theartisticone

theartisticone Gold IL'ite

Re: Tanjore painting - share your experience

Hi koel,
    I happen to be practising tanjore painting for 12 years. U have to personally see what is being done and have to do what u r taught in front of the teacher it takes us quite a long time to get each step at least quarter as good as the teacher so there is no use even if u follow the steps online. Checkout some good teachers in chennai, go see their work, check if their gold work is as good as their painting, then join and do a painting with the teacher. after you do one picture, do a picture on your own using the instructions given by your teacher.
    all the best
    su.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2008