1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Pain The Ultimate teacher in Life

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Ria2006, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Well This is just to summarise my chain of thoughts.

I was skiing this sunday and met with an accident. Doctor says I am bedridden for 2 months. I could not believe God sent so many strong signals for me to evade this and I still didnt care for those signals.
    Anyway what has to happen, happens anyway. Now my mind is thinking more on bigger picture of it. We learn so less from luxury and pleasure , while with pain we learn so much so fast. I had faced this "being on crutches" thing before too. Almost 9 years back I was in road accident and my same leg was injured badly. So I know how it feels to be handicapped for sudden period. How it feels to suddenly be out of running crowd.
    But this time my mind is more mature and more worldly. That time as girl with hi-flying career and tons of friends , All I could think was me , me and me..
    Now with 10 years added to that youth, and after being married for 3 years. I see this in different light altogether.
    First Thought which hit my mind, was I had realised "less privileged" people's pain before too. But I havent done my bit in 10 years time. Despite of being well-off and well-earning I never found time to invest in what meant a lot to me.

I have often realised that big learning in my life came through biggest pains i hv faced.
    One "Near-death" experience was enough to open my eyes to see, This ego, jealousy, shallowness and meanness this is all created in this world. When we will go, Nothing will go with us. It will just be us and goodness people saw in our eyes. For those few milliseconds I saw several hundred people I have met in my life and I was wondering what they were thinking of me at that moment. So I decided to be Good No matter what. No matter who said what to me.. If I dont hv to get angry I will not.. That did get so much flake at times.. bonk But it worked in long run.

Anyway coming back to the topic in hand, So after two days of "being on crutches", "Struggling hard to go to restroom", All I could recollect is all the remote and stranger faces I have seen in India, Partially or fully handicapped, struggling to make a living, struggling to board that "full" bus, Struggling to some how keep their self-respect and make life possible for them. I had promised myself to do something about them. I mayno be Bill gates to open a foundation and do at bigger level. But I can definitely do my part in whatever 3-4 handicapped people I have seen.

I just feel we had more respect and avenues for "Physically disabled" People In india. Here its so much heaven fo rsuch people.
    With I will like to recollect and pen down this little old memory of mine.
    I used to work in delhi , and on weekend I used to go to visit my parents in nearby place. It was 2 hours journey from Bus, So every friday evening I will go home and every monday morning I will be riding back to Delhi. So the route was I will catch one Roadways bus to half way till my office bus stop. And Then catch my office bus and go to office.
    This Gentleman was physically disabled on one of the knee and he always used crutches. While I used to wait for my office bus, He would struggle his way to crowded buses. He would be disciplined and on time always. Well-dressed, educated person he looked like. One day some pushed this guy from bus, Becuase so many people were there. He had fallen really bad, His office bag all scattered and his dress dishevelled. People standing there was either watching quietly or smiling sheepishly. No One helped the guy. When I stepped ahead to help him and reassemble his office bag. He was little taken aback. Then he said, Madam, You dont worry. It s my daily life I will manage. I helped him get up and then waited foor my bus.

However , That was our brief talk for 2-3 years watching him every week struggling with those buses. Now last two days, His image has crossed my mind atleast ten times. When Yesterday when I sat in pooja, I promised God , I will do my bit in helping such people.

I know It must be heavy to read for anyone. But then what life is it, to keep earning and keep saving and keep spending and without doing anythign to make this world little better place.

2. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

That is very very true.Get well soon.Take care.

3. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Thanks for coming by. A pleasure.

I am taking care of my knee..

4. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi Ria,
    Hope you get well soon. Do take care of your knee. Many of us will slip when we gate the warning signal, Thank God!! that you are safe now.Do be acreful in future.
    About doing our bit for the differently abled people, you first need to think of them.How many do it these days???? Given time all of us like to unwind from the routine and laze around and spend money on other things.
    They are differentl abled and teach us what life is all about. Your post rings true.

5. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dear ria,

Sorry to hear about your accident and knee problem.Do take good care and rest to get well soon back to your active routine.Yes,it is so true that only when we face such situations do we realise certain truths about Life in general.These are real eyeopeners that will enable us to become stronger if we are willing to learn the lessons that are taught when we are subjected to such trials.Keep your spirits up! Do all the good you can ,in all the ways you can.....that will be of comfort.We all go through these bonksbonk on the head!!! No escaping for anyone .When we overcome the pain we emerge stronger with valuable lessons learnt from the Book of Life.

Regards,
    PAULINA:wave

6. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

Ria,
    Sorry to know about your injury. Hope and wish you get well soon.

It's very true that we learn more from the tough times in our life. Like Janani said, not everyone can think or plan to help the disabled people. It's great that you are planning to help the physically challenged people.:hatsoff

Sindhu

P.S: Ria, I have read many of your posts. Sorry that I could not reply to any of your posts. I agree with most of your views. Keep posting!

7. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Janani, Paulina and Sindhuja

Thank you so much for wishes. I hope my MRI scan shows minor damage, Waiting for it for next week. Very true indeed that Helping those folks could be actually hard in implementation. I have done a bit of it in past. When In India, I used to visit a Blind school for 4 years every weekend. And I must say those small kids gave me more than I could ever give them.
    Lets see how well I could actually implement it.

8. madhu11

madhu11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ria,

I hope you recover soon. Yes, I agree with you very much pain teaches you alot in life. Have a speedy recovery.

9. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Madhu

Thanks for wishes. I also cannot wait to run along everybody else. However also taking my time to relax and ordering hubby to do evrything :queen. I am sure he feels suddenly his wife had turned in a MIL asking everything to be done to perfection... I get to have morning tea made and food served in plate.. :coffee