1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Owner's Pride, Neighbor's Envy........dealing with jealous neighbor

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by TomAndJerry, Dec 22, 2012.

Need we tell kids about who is good and who is bad around us

Poll closed Apr 1, 2013.
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TomAndJerry

TomAndJerry Bronze IL'ite

Dear Friends,

from last few days I am very much disturbed not knowing how to react to the behavior of my neighbors whose kid studies in the same school and class as that of my child.

My child is five year old, and is very active. She is learning Kuchipudi, classical music, goes to swimming in summer holidays, does skating, cycling and what not.

I often felt the jealousy in 2 families particularly this one. But I had ignore it, as there was no other way.

But recently, for a function in the school my daughter was not selected for the dance practice, when I called and enquired the teacher said, dont worry we are planning to put her in classical dance, and planning for 2 dances for her.

This news reached that girl, and her parents. The father went to school and shouted at the principal. 'How can you put that girl in two dance and my daughter in only one dance! I will not let you do this; Also he went on shouting at them on various silly things.' The horrified principal who is a lady calls me and tells me, madam I almost cried for the way he behaved.

I was aghast, how could they show anger towards a 5 year old kid!!

I started avoiding my daughter to go to their house. After sensing this, the father of the other kid, again calls the principal over phone and scolded her as to 'what did you tell her .. so on and so forth'

What would you do, if you were in my place

we live in an apartment, and my daughter considers that girl as her best friend.

2. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Stop telling everything to them in advance. Also don't ask them why they did this. Just maintain civil Hi/Hellos with them. Stupid people will be everywhere.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  3. RajSai

RajSai Platinum IL'ite

I too experience these sort of problems here as well as in Chennai. In Chennai, I handle these jealous characters more easily. As Veeramachennai says, we should maintain a lot of privacy with such neighbours. The more they know about us (anything), it will invite more probs for us. At the same time maintian the diplomacy with a courteous smile and a 'hi'. Sometimes I too find it difficult to handle such characters here. I am just ignoring them and moving on.

anika987 likes this.
  4. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Wow!! can people be this thick too! If they are jealous of your kid, then they should take it as a competition and make their own kid to perform better than yours. Am sure your child will welcome a little competition. But this is highly ridiculous and shows how uncouth and uncultured they are. Avoiding that kid is totally fine for a while till your kid gets a new best friend. I am sure she must have other friends too and let her mingle with them. Call them for a kitty party at your place. Try to broaden her horizons. Hopefully your neighbors take the hint and be more civil.

sindmani likes this.
  5. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Exactly the same incident happened to my friend... but look at the silver lining - till then, the teacher had not fully noticed how talented the young child was - and teacher also appreciated that my friend was dignified and not like that other child's father - so this time, the other child got to participate in one program, but my friend's daughter was moved to the next level and got a guaranteed part in every program...

dont worry, remain dignified, dont get to their level... let your daughter play with her, but you look out for other friends for her too, and anyway, your dd will also learn to handle all this from young age!!!

sindmani likes this.
  6. TomAndJerry

TomAndJerry Bronze IL'ite

Thank you all. I feel so relieved now.

Yes, healthy competition is always welcome. But instead behaving like this is very bad.

Anyway as we cannot control the behavior of other people, it would be better for me to learn, how to ignore such people.

Also thanks for answering the poll :)

Happy new year and Merry Christmas to everyone.