1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Overpampering of DH by in-laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by CarpeDiem, Feb 29, 2008.

1. CarpeDiem

CarpeDiem Senior IL'ite

I just have to vent out.... From the past few days DH had some minor cold/cough. My in-laws treat him like a 2 month old baby and were pampering him so much, yesterday! Now my DH feels like a small baby and I know he loves being pampered this way. Esp my MIL is the queen of pampering - she loves to pamper DH (only son) and my SIL. In fact she loves pampering everyone (which to some extent is nice but I think she overdoes it!). It is because of her behaviour that I think DH doesn't have the ability to sometimes see beyond himself. He is not capable of taking care and showing concern for me or others and pities himself for the smallest of things. She also has made my SIL overly dependent on her....

It's been 6 years of my marriage and I still sometimes can't get over the fact that she baby's him. It used to bother me a lot initially and over the years I thought I was immune to it. But somehow yesterday being in the same room when this was happening, fluttered my wings a little. I totally think that my MILs pampering, has played a huge part in DHs attitude and nature. Also, inititally I thought I should also pamper him but slowly realised that it is not in my nature and I feel totally fake doing it when I don't really feel it. I couldn't sustain it for too long.

I know that all MILs or mothers are like that and for them their sons are babies even when they are old enough to be grandfathers :) I also know that I have to just accept it and turn a deaf ear and a blind eye or leave the room if I don't want to be bothered by it...but I just wanted to let off some steam and lighten myself for the time being....

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008

2. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

Yeah, venting out definitly helps. I know, one of my friend's DH who wants to be babied when he is sick too..

like.. just a little cold / fever, and he would want to lie down in the bed, with his wife / mom sitting at the side of his bed, caressing his forehead or holding his hand.. the WHOLE day ! She was sick and tired of this behavior of her husband. She couldn't change it though, as certain habits are not easy to change.