1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Our lives in METRO!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Jun 23, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi everybody,

i belong to a metropolitan city. one of India's busiest city. i am very comfortable with my life in city.

this city gave me a lot right from my birth. i wonder at its growth. this city gave me - a good school to study and learn, good friends belonging to various cast and religion, good hotels to dine, good places to visit, good beach to enjoy, good theaters for movies, big big shopping malls, good transportation, 24 hrs ATM to draw money, famous temples to visit, good sabhas to hear music - many more to say. i love being in city.

But - the very same city which gave me everything has taken something/may be a lot from me in return.

may we share about what we loose to the city life?

my first priority - my precious time is wasted in many places due to many factors, you might be knowing anyway.

what more?

regards

Vanaja

2. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

hi Vanaja,

i love Chennai. i like everything in Chennai. i hane been to Bombay, Calcutta, New Delhi too, but i prefer Chennai then New Delhi.

whenever i go to chennai i feel i am going to someone my own's place in fact i don't have anyone at chennai except one friend. i like Chennai for everything from clothes shopping to education.

bye
    padma

2 people like this.
  3. Huma

Huma Silver IL'ite

hi vanaja
    i like also chennai. i like the shopping complex and of course the airport.
    bye

2 people like this.
  4. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Hi all,

I lived in Chennai for 19 years and have been watching this city's transformation. In the 70's there were many beautiful and traditional houses with large front and back yards, filled with coconut and mango trees. My own house used to be one such till we sold it a couple of years ago and moved out. The homes that were built in 50's and 60's were cooler because of the wooden beams in the ceiling and the red-oxide coat on the floors. Now apartment homes are the norm. Water was not so much of an issue then till the late 80's.

PTC was something we could be proud of during the 80's for its efficient services. Buses were not as crowded and jam-packed as they are now. These days I see almost all buses tilted to one side with people hanging from window bars. Commuting between places has become a drag. I see more and more people using respirator face masks because of the increased pollutants. Pavements have become smaller or they are meant for vendors.

Pondy bazaar, panagal park, Luz corner - these were the places where we would hang out. Thankfully the tree cover in Pondy Bazaar is still intact. Now there are those swanky malls for young BPO & IT employees to hang out.

Food has always been Chennai's pride. The Cafe Coffee Day or the Barista can not beat the humble filter coffee. And nowhere have I come across such a wide variety of green's (keerai).

There is a hude middle class population here and with almost every family being double income households, there is a mad boom in the housing industry.

If you ask me what I lost by living in Chennai, then I would certainly say that I lost my politeness. Since I came to Chennai from a small town in Karnataka, I did not find friendly bonding amoung neighbours as I found in the small town. But of course, that's city life.

Regards,
    Nivedi

5. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi nivedi,

you have given a small portray of chennai. very beautifully summarized.

i don't see any impoliteness in your reply. generally we do not lose our qualities.

this topic is for all the cities in world. let us expand the discussion.

regards,

Vanaja