1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Others : Family Tree Making Hobby, Laser engraved Toast & Other Queries

Discussion in 'Creative Crafts' started by reshna, Jul 25, 2005.

1. reshna

reshna New IL'ite

This hobby doesn't exist in India. Family tree making - also called genealogy - is the hobby of tracing back our fore fathers. Living in the UK for 5 years, I am surprised by the prevalence of this hobby here. Some of my British colleagues has traced their ancestors way back to 17th century!

Encouraged by my colleagues, I started the hobby of making our family tree. Even though I didn't go beyond 4 generations, the horizontal web of our family that I created using the process was staggering to say the least. It is really fascinating to see how large our families are.

I highly recommend this hobby to anyone. Here are some softwares that will make this hobby very interesting and easy.

www.familytreemaker.com
    www.genealogy.com
    www.ancestry.com
    www.onegreatfamily.com

If you end up taking this hobby, lets exchange notes. I have quite a few tricks!

Reshna

2. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Others : Scrapbooking

Anyone Scrapbook here? I have benn scrapbooking for almost 6 yrs now & totally Love it.

3. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Scrapbooking's a passion!

Hi Anmolhai,

I love scrapbooking too and have been doing for the last year or so and totally love it too!! No matter how good pictures look online, they sure do look crisp on paper and their beauty appeals to the eyes!

I love the scrapbooks and accessories I get in stores such as Michaels, Pier 1 imports, etc. It totally makes for an amazing gift between couples and best friends! Have you ever thought of gifting (your best friend) a collection of fine moments made into scrapbooks?

-Shal

4. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

Hi Shal
    Yes I have made tons of gift albums :) always appreciated . I also make small gift albums to sell at the Local Craft Bazar & they sell very well. I also teach sb classes here :-D

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Sorry you are wrong

In India you are supposed to be knowing your family tree atleast for 3 generations. Be it marriage or otherwise you have to tell their names and relationships.

RajmiArun

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi

Looks like you both are from US but I live in India. I have always wanted to do something like this with the photos I have. Can you both guide me how to go an doing scrapping right from the basics?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  7. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

re: Others : Scrapbooking

rajmiarun I am not sure if you will find the supplies in Delhi. You need Acid free/ Ligin free paper , Archival safe album and other things to decorate your pages. Do you have anyone in US who can buy few basic things for you ? e-mail me at anmol2ca@yahoo.ca & I will be happy to guide you.

8. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Browsed the net and got some ideas on Scrap Booking as I wanted to have it as my hobby. So thought of sharing those ideas with every one. If I have missed something pls help me.

Creating scrapbooks is one of the best ways to preserve memories of yesterday or yesteryear. You can make a scrapbook for any type of event-wedding, baby, career or simply create a "lifebook" that holds memories of an entire life. Many parents begin scrapbooks for their children from the time they are born until the time they start their own family. Scrapbooking can be a lot of fun, but there are certain materials that every scrapbooker needs. You can find these items at your local craft store, discount store, online scrapbooking store or even EBay.
    First and foremost, you need a strong album. Albums come in a variety of brands, colors, textures, sizes and binding types. There are post bound albums, strap bound albums and ring albums. Albums come in a variety of sizes. Most scrapbookers have started using the 12x12 album. The 12x12 album gives plenty of room for capturing memories and paper comes in 12x12 sheets to perfectly fit your book. Albums can be found in black, white, green, red, blue, yellow,pink and several other colors. Some albums have designs on the front of them that are designated for a particular event or celebration in your life. Wedding, baby and travel albums are some of the most popular. Albums can be found in fabric, leather, suede and other textures.
    Of course, every scrapbooker will need paper. Some albums come with paper and others do not. If you have a 12x12 album, purchase a vareity of 12x12 papers that can be used for background pages. You might prefer plain white, solid colors or papers that have designs on them. Papers come in a variety of different textures, weights, colors and designs. Papers are available for a particular season or event-such as Christmas or the birth of a baby. You might also decide to purchase accent papers that can be used to mount your photos on. Borders and accents can be made out of scrap paper as well.
    A good pair of scissors are another necessity for all scrapbookers. Because you will be using these to cut photos, paper and other items, you want to make sure the scissors you choose are sharp and easy to maneuver. Many scrapbookers also enjoy using scissors that have designs. Design scissors will create effortless zigzags, curves, waves and other designs.
    A tape runner is another must have for scrapbooking. In the past, people often used glue or glue sticks to adhere their photos to the pages. The problem with glue and glue sticks is that it creates lumps and bubbles under the pictures. Tape runners are double sided and are available at craft stores. Tape runners are extremely easy to use and do not leave any traces of bubbles or lumps. Tape runners can either be permanent or repositionable.
    Journaling pens are perhaps one of the most important tools in a scrapbookers collection. In order to truly capture a memory, it is important that you write about the picture. Tell the what, why, where, when and how about the pictures. It is so easy to forget important details if you do not write them down. Journaling pens are available in different colors, ink types and widths.

9. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Page protectors are important to keep your memories safe. You will want to show your scrapbook to as many people as you can and that means alot of fingers and perhaps, dirt. Page protectors slide directly over your page to create a barrier for dirt, food and "gunk" that can get on your page. Page protectors are must haves if children have access to the scrapbooks.
    There are other items that you can purchase for your scrapbooks. The following items will add nice touches to your scrapbooks. They are not necessities to begin your scrapbook, just nice additions.
    Stickers-Stickers can really make your scrapbook pages "pop". Because there is such a wide variety of stickers available, they are inexpensice and can add a nice touch. Alphabet, number and object stickers are available. Stickers are available for every event that you can think of from pregnancy, baby's birth, potty training and first hair cuts to travel, career, wedding and anything in between.
    Punches-Punches are a fast, easy way to jazz up a layout in your scrapbook. To use a punch, you simply slide a sheet of paper into the punch and press down. It is that simple-and quick! Punches are available in different sizes, shapes and even themes.
    Page Kits- If you need a fast way of getting your pictures arranged and assembled, page kits are the way to go. Page kits are equipped with everything that is needed to create a page in your scrapbook. Background paper, embellishments, frames, letters, stickers and journaling boxes are often included in page kits.

10. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Others : Laser Engraved Toast

Jesus in Bread Toast.............[​IMG]