Organised cooking - Help pls!

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by mslovely, Nov 9, 2013.

1. mslovely

mslovely New IL'ite

Hi,

Friends who organize your cooking effectively, please provide some guidance..

Rice, roti, one dry subji and one gravy(for lunch and dinner & for two ppl) - To make these 4 items, I take 2.5 - 3 hours..
    Rice too in cooker, so it is just like 3 items..

I do the gravy with dhal and the dry subji with any vegetable..
    I generally wont get time to cut vegetables the previous night and keep..so I do everything on the same day morning..
    I have a two burner stove..
    Cleaning comes after my cooking, so after finishing cooking, I clean the place and the vessels for another 30 minutes..

I always feel I take a lot of time for cooking and just thought today that our IL friends might provide some suggestion..

Thanks

2. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear mslovely :)

I would suggest that you store one or two cut vegetables whenever you get time. Like I do this cutting and cleaning when we sit for family time. Cleaning coriander leaves, curry leaves, Spinach, fenugreek (Methi) is done without feeling left out in the kitchen sweating if we do it with all sitting together.

I make sprouts also quite often. They are very nutritious and also can be used in place of a vegetable. We Maharashtrians call it "Usal."

I knead wheat flour also for two days and refrigerate it.

Try this out, and tell me if it works for you too.

4 people like this.
  3. adinil

adinil Silver IL'ite

Really nice tip anu..i really love your replies and i do follow them :cool2:i will PM you my query i need a suggestion for the same

2 people like this.
  4. anukarsha

anukarsha Gold IL'ite

Dear Aditi
    Thanks for your kind words. Yes, please do PM me about your query. I hope, I'll be able to help you out. Take care. Have a blessed life ahead! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. MadhaviUP

MadhaviUP Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    Generally I cook 1 dal, 1 subji and rice in 30-40 mins. By the time i wash rice and dal and keep it for biold , my DH will help me in cutting the vegetables along with me in the kitched. One i start with subji we will be cutting green leafy vegetables for dal..so in the end its only tadka left and rest of the cokking will be done. I feel good we both working together in kitchen, as after hectic office schedules we get some to time talk together.Belive me its fun in kitchen when we cook together. So take help of your DH.
    Cut vegetable when something is cookking on ur stove like dal or curry. It saves lot of time.
    Sometimes we cut onions first so that until they take time to get fried we cut other vegetables like aloo or tomato etc.

3 people like this.
  6. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

I too do the same...

First thing i do is, start rice and dhal........

while that is cooking, i cut the vegetables, onions, tomatos, etc.... I generally keep the green lefy vegetables sorted out the previous day as suggested by anukarsha. I even peel ginger and garlic and keep it seperatly in 2 tiny boxes(can be used for over two days). Even i make chilli paste and keep it in the refrigrator(can be used for a week if kept in the freezer)....

While vegetables are cooking, i start rotis on the other stove(i too keep the dough ready n use it for 2 days)...

Also sometimes when i don't have much time i prepare a vegetable rice with vegetables, greens, onions and tomatos(point is to have everything in a meal and also not waste too much time cooking ;-) ) in cooker, and Curd/raita/salads to go with it....

The whole cooking doesn't take more than 1 hour for me. Hope this helps......

Take care...
    Aprillisa

1 person likes this.
  7. adinil

adinil Silver IL'ite

really nicetips dear
    can you pls help me with the below query....
    After my delivery i will be moving with my DH and LO to a new house...how to manage kid and cooking?i am a woking lady

8. adinil

adinil Silver IL'ite

thanks
    have PM you

9. simpleMom

simpleMom Gold IL'ite

Refreshing to hear from a woman that her husband helps her in kitchen everyday. Very nice.

4 people like this.
  10. mathiravi

mathiravi Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Dears,
    I follow, some quick preparation for my cooking.. I peel small onion , garlic, peel off ginger skin, during family time.. Cut vegetables too during leisure.. Prepare ginger garlic paste every week with equal portion of both and few pinch of turmeric powder to prevent discoloration. When I am in a hurry, I even, soak tamarind in water and place in microwave high for 2 mins.. And use it.. Grate coconut and make balls and place in fridge.. When needed.. Just bring to room temperature and use it... Prepare rice, dal together and while they cook, make vegetable.. Once the pressure is released make dal tadka a d serve..I don't stand longer in kitchen.. Even if I had to make a South Indian feast meal, that has lot if items or during festive seasons too, I organize such that I finish them on time

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    2 people like this.