Organic whole grains in US

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Sandhya13, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Where can we buy organic whole millet grains (all varieties) and other whole grains like barley, quinoa etc for less price in USA? The local Indian grocery shop only carries the millet flour and organic whole grains seem to be quite expensive in Amazon. Please help.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Whole foods is the only shop carrying organic whole grains in my experience. Its quite expensive though.

You get non-organic whole grains in some non Indian grocery stores too. For eg I found Millet, barley in the Polish section of a store. Bob's red mill has whole grains stocked in various grocery stores. I have found millets, sorghum (jowar), corn grits, amaranth etc there

Costco sells quinoa. The quality is not that of Whole Foods but still fine enough.

1 person likes this.
  3. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Check this link. It gives info about various wholesalers/retailers in whole grains.

Mail Order Grain Sources | The Whole Grains Council

Also ask your Indian grocery store owner if he can source grains that you want. Barring ragi, they can do it. My Indian grocery store has amaranth, buckwheat and bajra and samo rice.

Pakistani stores or Middle eastern grocery stores will have haleem wheat, barley etc

Another idea is to ask a bakery making non gluten bread, pastries etc where they get their millets. You could buy from there or buy from the bakery if they are open to the option.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

Thank you @butterflyice for the info!!

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Some stores (both grocery and health food) carry bulk grains and often for better price. That being said, I have found the quality, especially of millet, to be not optimum. My preference is for Arrowhead Mills products and the cost is good on vitacost.com. Free shipping over $49. They have a huge inventory and I also like to get natural cleaners from them and also Alvera deodorant. Whole Foods, imho, is a big rip off for stuff carried at better prices elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  6. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Op, Just a quick caution: all millets are naturally organic. They are not attacked by pests nor are pesticides used on the growing crops. That is one of the reasons millets are being touted as a sustainable grain. So, if you see a packet labelled as 'organic sorghum' or 'organic barley' for a higher price dont be fooled. It is a ripoff. the regular jowar or barley is equally organic/GMO/ pesticide free.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sandhya13

Sandhya13 Gold IL'ite

@1Sandhya - Thank you! I did not know that.

@tashidelek2002 - Thank you!

8. Nadin

Nadin New IL'ite

The best variety of grains are only at whole foods. The store itself is expensive, but the grains (organic) actually cost less than in other stores.