1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Organic Foods is it Worth It ?????

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by sheetal, Mar 11, 2006.

1. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Thank you soo much for your reply Vandana,sounds good sending fruit flavored H2O.,I wiill try with my D.

2. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

Mohana,

As Vandhana said water is the best. Fruit flavored water is also great, the sugat added is very minimal. You can also send milk. There is a milk variety called "Lilmilk" available in gorcery stores mostly in tea, coffee aisle. These come in little cartons and they dont have to be kept cold. They come in regular, lowfat and also in chocolate.

Jothi.

3. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

Thank you soo much for your reply jhothi,I wiill check it in my next visit.

4. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

Like Vidya and Vandhana, I too feel organic milk has a very good taste and natural flavour.

I used to detest drinking milk, but when I was pregnant, started drinking organic milk and just loved it.

Like Sihi, I try to get organic milk, fruits and vegetables for my kid and the regular food for ourself. We have a store called 'Whole foods' near our place which carries a variety of organic stuff. For the organic milk, the cows are fed organic feed and are raised in farms where they are able to freely graze and are not injected any bouvine growth harmones - so, naturally this natural milk is tasty. Couple of years back, the mad cow disease in cows were traced to the feed which contained non vegetarian additives.

So, it is a good thing that there is more awareness and demand for organic produces. I hope there is more and more demand for organic produce reducing the prices and eventually making them comparable with non-organic counterparts.

Vidya, after seeing your post, I called Horizon organic and enquired about the source of additives in their organic milk. I am told that the Vitamin A palmitate is synthetic and Vitamin D3 is from lanolin( wool ). I need to check with the whole food's 365 brand and the costco for the source of vitamins in their milk as well.

-Gayathri.

5. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

thanks jothi, i have come across nature's promise,, will check for the aisle too.

6. sihi

sihi Senior IL'ite

Of all the organic milk brands I have tried so far....I just love the O Organics milk taste. It tastes much sweeter than the rest of the brands and my friends agree with me on that. We get that brand in local Genuardi's (Safeway) store and most of the time they are on sale....check it out ladies...

-Sihi

7. Geetha24

Geetha24 Senior IL'ite

Organic products are available in Trader's Joe and Whole Foods. In Trader's Joe you will all oraganic things. There are some Non-Organic too..you have to see the label before buying. Even organic chicken and meat are available.

8. Madds26

Madds26 New IL'ite

Hi, I know it seems strange that my first post in this forum is in this section -- but actually I got to this forum coz of the heading of this thread . I was doing some research for my husband who is an organic farmer ( we r in India ) and so far has been growing fruits and vegetables but in 3 weeks from now will launch organic fresh cow milk in the Delhi region . I was trying to google and see if I cud come across any women forums like this that were based or frequented by Delhi moms/ladies , and I stumled here .

Im helping him with his launch ... and as he aint interested in doing a whole media campaign , we are using whatever mean of PR that we can to spread the word to mothers as we are only offering the milk to houses that have kids below the age of 14 . We believe that lil kids stand to lose the most by drinking the contaminated milk from teh market here ... Also we aint supplying to any middle men or stores as you know how easy it is in India for ppl to copy or sell normal milk under our brand incase it does get popular , so we only supplying homes directly from our farm , this way we can monitor that no adulteration happens to the milk ...

So if you know of anyone in the Gurgaon region .. who has kids ... and would b e interested .. pls do let me know and I will contact them .

I will post a full intro shortly as well .... and it seems you guys have a nice group going here .

Luv to all ...

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    Read Organic as Very expensive here in India. I would say that we Indians used to produce in organic manner and that did not meet the demand. So we started using fertilizers and then everything was produced in abundance. Now, back to square one.
    In Kerala, we always ask for 'Nadan pazham' when we buy bananas. That means, bananas produced by using the organic fertilizers. These usually come from small farmers or households who do farming. They will be small in size but the taste will be very good.
    In Ambattur where I live in Chennai, there are lots of such veggies available from small farms. Only thing is the fancy name is not attached and also the prices are very competetive. I always buy snake gourd, brinjal (tiny ones), avaraikkai etc. as soon as they arrive in the morning.
    Also in our market, women bring their produce in the mornings and sell them. These are organic ones.

10. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

Yesterday, got a chance of buying Nature's promise organic milk and what you have all told is very very true. The smell or flavor, was really great and makes me to drink more!!! Yet to see for curd. Too bad, that we dont have any moderate price shops except for stop & shop; hence, the price is closer to 4 bucks!!!

Still, thanks to you all..