1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

'Oppukku chappani, Oorukku mankottai'

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Rrg, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

2. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

nice one.. what is mundrikottai?

3. lalithasathish

lalithasathish Silver IL'ite

Der rrg sir,
    very nicely explained..now i know the meaning of OCOM..
    one suggestion : why dont you open a separate thread where you can explain tamil proverbs.. though my mother tongue is tamil as i was brought up in karnataka i dont understand the meaning of tamil proverbs..my dh keeps telling me some proverbs or the other based on situations and i just start blinking both my eyes at him so that he would explain it in detail ..

4. Rrg

Rrg Gold IL'ite

Dear SM,
    Thanks for your FB.
    'Mundri' means cashew and 'kottai' means seed.
    If you look at a cashew fruit, you would notice that unlike other fruits, the seed jets out. The phrase 'mundri kottai' is so used to describe people who do anything ahead of their turn. Normally children who jump ahead of their peers, to answer a query or do a task are addressed thus. Of course we do find in life so many grown up mundri kottais as well.:)
    Dear Lalitha, Your suggestion has lots of merrit. But there are thousands of proverbs in Tamil, readily available in the net as well, the meanings of which are direct & clear. However, if I recollect any like OCOM, certainly I would post it with my explanations. Infact, even OCOM was explained by me when one of our friends, after reading its usage in one of my stories, desired to know its meaning.
    Cheers,
    Rrg

5. tnkesaven

tnkesaven Gold IL'ite

நல்ல வேளை!! பூசணிக்காயில வோட்ட போட்டு பூதமா வூருக்கு கூட்டுட்டு போகலை, மேற்க்கத்தி மக்களின் jack o'lantern போல!! For more information on Jack O'lantern, refer here: <http://[URL="en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack-o'-lantern"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack-o'-lanter"]en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack-o'-lanter[/URL]n[/URL]>. கிட்ட தட்ட நம்ப ஊரு திருஷ்டி பூசணிக்காய் மாதிரி தான்!!

ஒப்புக்கு சப்பாணி, ஊருக்கு பூசணிக்காய்! (என்னை பார் பயம் வரும்-type!!)
    -