Opos Help Request

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by Caughtinbetween, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone ,

So i have heard a lot about opos in the past year and follow that fb group of RK . But for some reason I never find enough courage to ask anything there .

I have two prestige non stick pressure cookers . one is small 3.3 litre handi style and other is a big one almost 5 -6 litre straight wide mouth type . So I really dont want to spend on buying that magic pot for now since both the cookers are new , barely used .

I really want to try opos with the small PC .

Kindly help me with the usage . As in how to begin with for an absolute novice. I think it needs some standardization . I would use it on normal 4 burner gas stove you find in apartments here.

Thank you very much for your help.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Caughtinbetween

Like for example lesson 1 says heat 1/4c 60ml water in 2l cooker so i scale up and make it 100ml water in
    3.3l cooker ?

Here we need to focus on getting the first whistle in <2 mins ? I mean even with a big 3.3 cooker the whistle should still come at <2mins ? And high flame means completely covering the base ?

Thank you.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

I have been cooking with OPOS for nearly 2 years now - some of the recipes come out very well and in afraction of the normal time required. You need not worry overly about the standardisation. Just scale up in your 3.3 litre cooker as suggested by you for the first whistle and mark the time with a stop watch . It is not necessary that the timing should be exactly 2 mins or so. Just ensure that the flame is medium high i.e. it covers the bottom of the cooker completely. Once you time your whistle, for following the recipe, you can calculate the whistles required from the total time given.
    In the beginning, it is a question of trial and error, but no major issues would normally arise if you follow the recipe in total. Try out flash cooking of veges, kurma varieties etc before you attempt fried stuff in OPOS. I am still not comfortable with fried curries in OPOS and prefer the open pan cooking only for this. Do try and let us know your progress - u will surely get hooked on to it:)

Thyagarajan and Caughtinbetween like this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Initially even I dint have magic pot. So I used my 3L and 2L in coil stove to prepare opos dishes.

When magic pot was available in US, it was my DH who wanted it and ordered.
    Usually we pressure bake veggies in it as it cooks very well in it.

It’s not mandatory tat you need magic pot.

But when you go lesson by lesson you will understand how each veggie, pulses etc works and you will be able to do it.
    Sometimes you will succeed sometimes it may not work. But keep repeating you will understand it.

But don’t try CPF with your cooker.

Thyagarajan and Caughtinbetween like this.
  5. Caughtinbetween

Thank you @shravs3 and @joylokhi for your helpful response .

I could not standardize today . So timings are off but here it is :

I prepared aloo peas gravy.
    L1 : 1 spoon oil+butter+ 4 spoons of water
    IMG-2589.JPG L2: ginger paste
    L3: tomato
    L4: potato + peas
    L5: spices

Put the cooker on medium-high flame on the stove . safety valve built up the pressure at 5 min mark and i waited till 7 min mark but still no whistle . I switched it off and released the pressure . Potatoes were cooked at this point . However i closed the PC and put it on flame again on a different burner , this time whistle one at 5 mins and 2nd whistle at 5.30 . Curry was indeed good. I , for sure , need to make a lot of tweaks to get the whistle on point. Will try that again tomorrow . Thank you .
    Sorry for the poor image .

6. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

Nice. Only make sure you follow the layering of ingredients properly. The timings may vary based on quantity being cooked. You can safely wait for 2 whistles for the small cooker u are using , unless u get a scorched smell or so!

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  7. Caughtinbetween

Thank you very much @joylokhi for your help. Yesterday I tried cabbage curry opos way . I have to practice to wait for two whistles as its taking a long time to build up the pressure i guess . Will try it more . Thank you.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Can you please share the recipes of the ones that worked best ? I am new to OPOS and will wait for your feedback before I try something.

Caughtinbetween likes this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: Thanks for the query that seeks clarification.
    Curiosity got better of me and then I remembered about this one
    Pot one shot - Bahrin Ramki discovered or invented - an article appeared few years ago in the Hindu metro. I showed it to spouse this post with FB and she is on to it.
    More kindling from the link
    Cooking up a storm with OPOS.
    Save cooking time, less vessels, less cleaning in sink and it is saving galore.
    Happy cuisine OPOS.
    HAP HAP HAPPY BIRTHDAY INDIA BHARAT MATHA KEY JAI

Sreevidyaa and joylokhi like this.
  10. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@SinghManisha, before u attempt individual recipes, i would suggest you to search in youtube for OPOS lessons. It is a set of 30 initial instructions to get cooking with OPOS. If you follow that - at least the first 4 to 5 notes, you will get very comfotable with OPOS cooking. Fresh vege dry curries like beans, beetroot, carrot, cabbage etc come out veryt well in OPOs. U just have to follow the instructions for flash cooking. You can scale up or down the quantities, as required by you. Making different kurmas etc also get done in a jiffy litterally, once the ingredients are kept ready. Update us on your efforts. Happy cooking:)

SinghManisha and Thyagarajan like this.