1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Open Letter From A Mother

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Jun 17, 2016.

1. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Why is something that should be private correspondence between a mother and her children doing the rounds in the media?
    Why is such a harsh ,guilt tripping letter being shown to strangers?
    Why couldn't the mother just pick up the phone and talk to her children in a straight forward manner?

@jayasala42 .....Ma'am ,Opening this thread brought the wonderful series of 'An open letter to a cherished son ' by the wonderful Late mithila Kannan in view.Thanks a lot . What a wonderful soul she was. What beautiful letters!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    sindmani, jayasala42, Srama and 3 others like this.
  2. somsar2014

somsar2014 Silver IL'ite

To the loving mom in the post

I do not know, what are the proper words to appreciate such a letter. The expressions, the details, the fleeting touches to the subtle issues, hidden behind main issues are so good. I am not sure, what to appreciate more....the issues or the presentations. As a writer observer, you have dome a tremendous work. looking forward to more of such writing to give kicks to conscience of those to whom the letter is addressed.

Please keep it up.

jayasala42 likes this.
  3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda,Really a wonderful thesis you have created.The simple thread has been woven into a grand Saree with frills and sari works. You have inter alia discussed the family planning and migration issues prevalent in earlier days also.But I can't agree that they had many children because parents insisted No doubt people migrated for earning.Even the poet Avvai has advocated that one cam cross seas to earn money.But today the issue has taken enormous proportions.I too wonder how a living mother could send such letters.Apppears to me the draft of some social activist writer. Even considering the case as a fabricated one or cannot be denied that many parents .not necessarily those of NRIs are forsaken in India.As you rightly said parents cannot be ATMs.It is high time that children are left to themselves."Don't give and don't expect also.Are we bring advised to be selfish or worldly wise and materialistic too as a bread-butter aim.I think it will take at least 50 years more for the dust tosettle down provided any other new social issue does not creep in jayasala42

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear JS Ma'am, my only point in saying "don't do any favours and don't expect any in return" is in order to avoid disappointments. When one expects something which may or may not happen, one is setting oneself up for disappointments. If one is grateful for being given the privilege of raising children, then that is it. The privilege itself is the reward for whatever efforts and sacrifices the parents make. They enjoy the babyhood, the innocence and joy of their children. If the children turn out to be good and reciprocate the love and affection, they are indeed blessed - both, the parents as well as the children. If not, the parents need to understand that what they did for their children until they were in a position to fend for themselves was their duty as parents, their duty towards to the children they brought forth into this world. That is their duty and they owe it to their children.

Once the children are capable of looking after themselves, anything the parents do for them is either out of love or as a favour. If they do it out of love, they should not be expecting a quid pro quo. If they do it as a favour for which they expect reciprocation, they are only setting themselves up for disappointments. So do whatever you want to do (I mean the statement as a general one for all parents) only if you wish to. Don't do anything for your children which you consider as a favour.

sindmani, jayasala42, Lathasv and 4 others like this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Parents with only girl children and no male offspring dealt with this issue for decades/centuries. Why this hungama (outcry) and "open letter" drama now about NRI children who leave parents alone in old age?

6. jayasala42

Dear Satchitananda,your mail.has been taken in the correct sense only.Normally,as you say.problem arises when.there is ex pectation.But expectation is likely to be there whenever there is financial instability.You know many parents have written settlement deed of the housing property in favour of children in expectation that children may not ask them to leave the house.Another important factor behind this is the rule that "execution of will is not a sufficient document in case of proprties in mtro cities like Madras.Mumbai Delhi and Calcutta and the will has to be probated in High court after the death of parents-a long drawn costly process which the NRI sons and daughters may not be able to comply with.whereas the settlement deed attracts the stamp.duty of Rupees ten thousand only irrespective the value of the prop.It is this rule that made many parents to transfer the property during their life time.What was done in the interest of kids had gone against parents.

sindmani, vaidehi71 and joylokhi like this.
  7. jayasala42

Dear Jskls,Thank you for your reply.Many children are ok with parents.Some show it out and some cannot express.when parents are admitted in hospitals in India .even if is for minor ailments children v cell up every hour .Though the particular coast is unique there are misunderstandings among mother apnd kids and the fact cannot be denied totally.somewhere the show punches and parents or kids,if they are sensitive react to the extreme of breaking the relationships.)Instances are many jayasala42

vaidehi71, Viswamitra and jskls like this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks jaya mam for starting this thread. There are some people who ill treat their parents, there are some who love their parents but are caught up with their own situations and can't help, there are some who love and take care of parents. Of all the friends and acquaintances that I have, I have only seen cases of children taking care of parents either by getting parents here or frequently visit them. So I don't know if the people who ill treat or don't care for their parents is majority or in minority. There will also be cases where the children and parents live under same roof, yet the children not taking care of parents.

Yes. it breaks our heart when we read about such cases. A few years back, I read about a son leaving his mother on a deserted road in a jungle type area in US. The mother after waiting for a long time started walking and was eventually spotted by someone after three days.

I am afraid how the next generation (my kids) are going to treat their parents. The newer generation kids have more independent thinking and are much more ambitious so not sure what kind of days we will be seeing.

9. poovai

poovai Platinum IL'ite

Sooner or later, we all will be facing both ends of the spectrum. I do time to time think about where would I fit in my old age? I look around our neighbors, as well. Our neighborhood lately became empty Nester's and slowly replaced by younger couples.

Our opposite neighbor, dentist with 5-kids and all are home-schooled. Every day, at 8am just after the dentist leaves, the retired parents (on lady's side) arrive and leave after 7pm, just before the doctor arrives home from work. Rain or snow, their car is parked outside. Next door neighbor has complete mother-in law suite and hardly ever, that section of the house used, no visitors. We came to know, the house was gifted from their parents.

Ideally, I like to live like 'everybody loves Raymond's mom. It is impossible, but the thought made me smile. Already our boy put us on every year, 2-weeks visitation rights and that too for his home "maintenance" service...just kidding. Mostly, we spend our time with him to care of the home/finance/stocking up his closet. We are determined to maintain 'long distance' from him and not to overcrowd him. No body can predict, what the future hold for us?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  10. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

@Rihana,
    im surprised by this question of yours. Just because the girl child parents were managing all these years - and we have spoken of the harassment/illtreatment etc by their sambandis all along, so essentially they have been suffering /at the receiving end of insults,indignity etc. Steps are now taken all over to set right such issues by education, empowerment in all ways. Similarly where there is lack of empathy for parents of an only son or so, what is wrong in questioning the same?
    I am almost sure that the open letter is not a genuine one written by the mother but by some activist or person known to the family who feels the injustice of it all.
    I have expressed my views on the situation in my earlier post and am definitely not justifying the tone of the letter or its purpose.
    Sorry OP, i couldnt but help react to this.