Online MBAs How valid are they???

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by SriVidya75, Oct 12, 2009.

1. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Helllo Ladies

I wanted to know about studying MBA through online universities. I see that going full time or part time to a university costs so much in US and no idea whether we get financial aid or not as we are on work visa , so wanted to know your views on online MBA. How valid is the program? and any idea how much effective or recognized is it when it comes to hiring /recruiting in companies.

I appreciate your views on this. Thank you!!

2. Shijiskumar

Shijiskumar Bronze IL'ite

Hi SriVidya,
    its nice to hear that you are planning to go for some higher studies.
    The validity of MBA depends upon the institute or university from where you are going to take the degree. we cannot compare the results of Symbiosis and IGNOU. One of my friends she is currently in US, was telling that there is no value for IGNOU MBA.
    We will wait for the opinion of others who have experience in this regard.

3. Sindhuja

Sindhuja Silver IL'ite

4. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Vidhya, me and my husband had the same plans few years back to pursue MBA. Got some opinion from a lot of our colleagues and friends who are MBA themselves. Most of them advised us to go full time in good university. My 2 cents would be at the least go for part-time in a good school rather than doing it online. For us it was kind of tough with a toddler girl, so dropped that idea.

If you find out some good online accredited school, do let me know :)

-Uma

5. sailingboat

sailingboat Senior IL'ite

Hi, it is better to go for a university to complete mba. Most employers only value those mba's who got from a good university. Employers dont value online M.S or MBA's. They think it is crap. Try doing mba in your local university. As for the financial aid, it depends on your family's income. There are also many university scholarships available. Try going to your local university admissions office and find about scholarships or grants. All the best.

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

For MBA, regular full time is BEST and thus the UNIVERSITY :) - An Ivy league degree is obviously more value than phoenix right ;-) --->This if you are career oriented.

But if you are looking for using your idle time at home effectively and want to pursue a degree, just the name tag, then I would suggest to try out these online courses available.

May be you should explain us more about what is that you are looking for and your midterm/longterm goals in life are. That way we can give you more options :)

7. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Srividya;
    I have done a corporate law program online from Rutgers. I did to bridge my time gap, so that when I go back to work I can show the certificate.
    This time when I went to India I was almost into joining for Symbiosis online MBA. The reviews are very good, as Symbiosis is a good institute. A few of my relatives have joined it. I backed off only for one reason as I wasn't sure whether I will get enough time to study with, my 14 month old tagging behind me. Maybe I will join next year.
    My opinion is if you already have a good educational qualification plus a little work experience, even a part time prgrm is suffice, but if want to start all over again better go for a good univ. as Nandu suggested.
    -Nitha

8. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Srividya,

It really depends on what you want out of the program. If you aren't looking to move around much, stay in the same company/field, career advancement in the same company etc then an online program may be good for you.

You have to realize that an MBA program is not just about the course content and study - it is equally about the brand equity associated with it, and the network you create from it. In the latter two aspects a good school will be way above an online school.

Consider this - most online schools (like Phoenix U) will admit anyone who can pay the tuition, and there is no selectivity. On the other hand good schools will require GMAT, years of work ex, have a GMAT score cutoff and that ensures a good quality student pool (which translates into your network). Brand equity is equally important with an MBA - you usually say "I have a an MBA from XYZ school", not just "I have an MBA"

In the end, you get what you pay for - just my opinion.

9. Sakshi

Sakshi Senior IL'ite

Srividya,

I totally agree with Pavarun. I did get my grad degree from a mediocre school here in US. My intention was to get my foot into the door and to prove to my future employers that I talk the talk and walk the walk. I did do a full time program at a local university. Had to take GMAT and TOEFL and meet a cutoff. But if you are looking to make money, then I suggest getting into a good school. Even though you shell out a lot more money initially, you will be able to reap the benefits within a few years. I did have a lot of friends who went to one of the top 50 school during the same time and paid 8 or 10 times more than what I did, but they have earned all that money and more already. I have a job but I did not want a career. I am a mom and a wife before anything. All I cared about was an additional income, something non-stressful and wanted to be "productive".

So decide what is that you want out of this degree and decide accordingly. But you do have to understand that having an MBA does not mean money comes pouring in. You would get a better start than an non-grad person but you will still have to pay your dues to move ahead. Having a good prior work experience, in addition to your MBA, does help a lot.

Sakshi..:)

10. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Pav Dear

Good one!! this was the glitch I had....hmmm seems like I have to wait and get this GMAT exam given before I plan for MBA. Even few of my friends were saying the same that, in US if you are doing MBA, its mostly for the contacts and the brand name of the school, rather than just for the sake of doing MBA.

Finally even the cost doesnt seem so different for both schools just couple of thousand dollars difference... so its goodif atleast we could take part time / evening / weekend classes if cant afford to go for full time program..

Thanks again....am happy to have clarity on my thought process