1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Online Hindi teaching material.

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Dewdrop, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Hi friends,

I'm teaching my 11 yr. old niece Hindi during her summer break and have taught her all the hindi alphabets. Now, I'm looking for word forming, short sentences etc. to build her vocabulary & help her start conversing . I wrote my own small poem of 4 lines, so she can read Hindi as well -- but my vocabulary is also limited only :hide:

Any site where I can download any textbooks or worksheets with small stories or grammar tutorials which I can refer & teach her , please share the link.

Would be very useful for others as well.

Thanks,
    Divya.

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I haven't found online sites all that helpful to studying. I just went upstairs to see what I had at home and I will just tell you so you might check out or you will pass over:

*Hippocrene Practical Dictionary: it's for Hindi speakers and way too basic

Lonely Planet Hindi/Urdu phrasebook: easy to understand

Teach Yourself books by Rupert Snell: I did the beginners Hindi script and it was excellent. I would expect the Hindi course (cds and book) to be good.

*Rajpal Hindi Dictionary: good for Hindi speakers but not detailed

*Hindi for Non-Hindi Speaking People by Kavita Kumar: very very detailed and difficult for someone without a fluent teacher but comprehensive. There is a text and a workbook.

Colloqial Hindi by Tej K Bhatia: book and tapes and cds set: I started this and then got sidetracked: it seems good.

Rosetta Stone: helpful but if you can't read the script you are sunk as there is no transliteration.

*Allis Chambers dictionary set: they have three volumes with each one having either Transliteration, Hindi, or English as the way the book is listed. This is a Bible of good info on Hindi and the appendices also are very very helpful. Expensive to buy here, moderate to buy in INdia. HIGHLY recommended.

*purchased in India

3. Dewdrop

Dewdrop Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the very useful list of books , Tina. I have noted them down & will also pass it on to her parents , so that in case anybody is coming from India , they can purchase for them.
    I have just a pocket dictionary[from my school days ] :)

Appreciate the time you took to reply my query. Thanks very much .

Divya.

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

5. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

hi,

www.kidsone.com in this website you can find graded levels for learning hindi, telugu and tamil, it has really nice stuff.

dheepa

6. singhsunita

singhsunita New IL'ite

Check out Sunosunao Hindi learning site for free & interactive Hindi worksheets. I hope this will definitely gonna help you.