1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Upmanship!

Discussion in 'Stories (Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Sep 17, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Can you see Sarasa over there? Notice how she winces as she climbs the stairs. She's torn a ligament in her ankle. Ask her how she injured herself and she'll say something vague about tripping down the stairs and so on. But I think you know the real story.

I’d seen it coming for a long time… They were made for each other. Sarasa and Sanjana ! A regular Marie and Debra Barone combination, I tell you. Everybody saw it. The first time Sanjana stepped into Sarasa’s house the atmosphere was so thick, you could cut it with a blunt knife! Therein started their eternal game of one-upmanship! Not that they had anything out in the open… but the they alternated the predator and prey routine so adeptly that it was difficult to keep a tab on the score. Like on Sanjana’s birthday. Sarasa had signed her up for week long prepaid classes with the doyen of tele-cookery shows… I know how insulted Sanjana had felt by this pointed reminder that she had moronic culinary skills. I know she had been waiting to get even…. So on Mother’s Day, she drives Sarasa to Cleo’s Body
    Center and tells her she has signed her up for a two week aerobic session…to whittle her waist and transform her into a new hep gal! Oh! Did Sanjana gloat, when she saw how alarmed Sarasa had been!

Still Sarasa’s pride wouldn’t let her admit defeat and she valiantly laced herself into the Nikes, her daughter in law had considerately bought her… I knew it… The very first day, Sarasa had started limping…but she wouldn’t give up. Fate was kind to her though… On the second day, she tripped on an undone shoelace and came crashing down. She has torn a ligament, her doctor has advised her to avoid climbing stairs, to bathe the foot in salty, warm water and take plenty of rest. But Sarasa wouldn’t be told what to do by others…ever! So, she climbs stairs, wincing with pain as she does… I know it is her pride that has been injured more… You ask me how I know all this? I am the Ray Barone in that house, dammit!

*In case you are interested, the three are characters from the serial Everybody Loves Raymond

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi tm..

I dont watch the serial..but this one is a typical saas -bahu one upmanship as you say..looks like checkmate/stalemate for sarasa at the moment.... may be aadu puli aatam would be a better comparison???:mrgreen:

3. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Hahaha!

It is a very familiar scene from "Everybody loves Raymond", we watch it over and over again, more because my mom loves it. So what is the Indianized name for Ray Barone, since you have Sarasa and Sanjana for "Maurie" and "Debra".