1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Sacrifices ;others Enjoy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Sep 22, 2017.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Recently I read an article in the Hindu.Extracts as under:-

"Dr. Shankaramenon has three children, two boys and one girl. All three are doctors. Fifteen minutes after they came out of their mother he started coaching them for medical entrance exam. From morning to evening he made them study. I remember they used to come to my house once in awhile to play some games with my children. But immediately Dr. Shankaramenon would come and take them off. In their entire lives they have not gone for school sports day even once.

And now this mahatma wants youth of India to win Nobel Prize in ball badminton."

We have already seen Anita sacrificing her life and other politicians call it as an achievement.

You make sacrifice because I want glory.Is it?

This is the fact in our life. The elder son/daughter is made a victim often so that the younger ones enjoy more in life.
    The son goes to work in gulf, but never returns home but the money keeps on coming and a new house is built, and all younger siblings are married off with pomp. When he returns it is too late for him to settle in Life. A loser.
    The younger sister falls in love with a well to do boy but the elder sister is unlucky to get an alliance. The impatient younger sister goes ahead with marrying her sweetheart without bothering the fate of her elder sister. Her life is sacrificed to remain single.
    One child is sent to a municipal school and the younger one is sent to a convent school.
    The first one becomes a beautician and the second a bank officer. Everything clicks for convent education.
    Senior party leaders sacrifice their ambitions so that younger ones can tour around the world.
    Religion teaches us to sacrifice. Elders advise us to give up for others.
    There is lot of sacrifice in cricket fields so that newcomers can win a place.
    The saying is 'There is no gain without pain." But the problem is the gain is not to the person who takes pains.
    No one wins unless someone else is willing to lose.

Many leave all their desires,goals,ambitions for the sake of family prestige considering what will those four people talk?(God only knows who those four persons are.)

Many girls nodding for what parents say and whom they should marry ,how should they live leaving all their desires,interests and thoughts behind.One may question whether all the love marriages are really successful.

Software employees : many of them ..we can say most of them joining the companies for the sake of money,survival and ending up travelling abroad leaving spouse and kids.

Real sacrifice of the Army men who sacrifice their entire lives in the biting cold guarding our borders.

PARENTS
    : Sacrificing all their strength ,money ,life ,food for the sake of the their children.

I believe most of us sacrifice our whole life for others and not for the something that we need.

"Too many people are buying things they can't afford, with money that they don't have... to impress people that they don't like!" - Will Smith.

In terms of above quote, we tend to lose our money and incurring future debts(loan), To impress our haters whom we don't like at all.

We think that we know what all the things we sacrifice in our life, but in reality we are never even aware of things we sacrifice until the final moment of the thing arrives.

In the end, when you die, your whole life will flash in front of your eyes, make it worth watching!
    There are other things too.
    People sacrifice their new thoughts and conceptions for fear of failure.People just sacrifice happiness.They just adopt sheep mentality simply following what others do.More than everything,sacrifice of'Belief System' has done more harm to us.

Sacrifice is what we may do even unwillingly, may be for the benefit of others or ourselves. We sacrifice on almost every mode of life.

When we(especially boys) start going to college, we start sacrificing for our dreams and the most important ie our first love. Bunking lectures, spending money which we get as pocket money on our love, telling lie to parents, adjustment on different things and many more sacrifices for different things.

Now when we start the job or business we have to sacrifice for different terms. Leaving home or hometown for the job, adjustments in needs and desires because of money, notwithstanding insults directed on us by employer.

The real sacrifices starts at this age which lasts through life.

As when we start looking for a partner, we sacrifice our love for the choice of our parents. When we become parents we start sacrificing for the better future for our kids. We want to give them better education, healthy and good lifestyle, and progress in their career.

The list is endless. Only one sentence can give answer to your question,

'Another name of life is sacrifice'.But the question is

Is the sacrifice meaningful?'

Jayasala 42

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

To be frank sacrifice is not worth it. I feel sad for people who sacrifice through out their life. . it is unfair. Every one has right to live

3. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

OP, your thread touched a chord ..
    If you hadn't created this thread, maybe I would have..
    after interacting with so many people of previous generation and after knowing so many examples in mine and extended family circle..
    Since a long long time it has become compulsory for eldest sibling to shoulder all responsibilities, make all sacrifices for family and compromise on everything..
    Especially in large family where it's was common to have 7-8 children..
    They gave up their dreams of higher education, lucrative job opportunities in other location and to some extent marriage opportunities and personal life etc to attend to family responsibilities..while the oldest son and DIL would slog to save every penny to send money home, not able to afford proper food and comfortable lifestyle for themselves and kids, and no money to buy property to secure future, other younger sibling would lead carefree life..in few cases only I've heard of younger siblings contributing money and giving physical assistance to parents in Old age and in marrying off younger sisters etc..
    A person in my family circle who was the eldest son in family slogged like anything to educate younger siblings, marry off his many sisters in good families while his younger brother after getting job washed his hands off family responsibilities and married and isolated themselves not bothering about well being of family of origin..
    That eldest son n his wife raised kids with great difficulty and gave them good education and married them off..after he passed away all his siblings who are in extremely good positions and very rich don't even care for his widow..they don't talk to her properly and demean her at all social occasions..in what way is this fair.
    Now families are smaller..but youngsters these days have to make sacrifice in education n career choice and study the course that parents want them to do, and marry according to parents wishes..but in these cases let's think in positive way, that parents are doing this for well being of children so they can make good choice and live comfortably.

4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

It is for the welfare of the child is good. But at least higher studies and marriage can be taken with full acceptance of a child is my humble opinion.

5. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

It is the parent's fault for brainwashing and expecting one child to sacrifice his/her life for other siblings. Why do parents have children that they don't have the capacity to provide for ?

6. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

True and million dollar question.

yellowmango and momsky like this.
  7. jayasala42

Thank you for the first response.I had a friend who had 6 siblings all sisters.She strived hard and saved every pie to see all her sisters married.By the time she thought of getting settled, it was too late.She was nearing 40.Her parents simply didn't care as thought it was her responsibility.After retirement nobody cared for her.She bequeathed her house to one of the sisters who simply sold it off and went abroad.
    The only solace was, she didn't suffer long.She was just 65.When she was having darsan at Raghavendra Swami Mutt, manthralaya, she felt uneasy and collapsed in the sannithi.That was her last breath.
    Only a friend who accompanied her, brought the mortal remains to Chennai to her house,and informed all the sisters.Except two, nobody turned up even for the funeral.Last rites were performed by the friend in simple style.I am reminded of her whenever I think of people sacrificing for the family.

jayasala 42

8. jayasala42

Since one or two child norm has come to stay, the sibling may not have that much responsibility.Now a days even parents are not cared for, nor do the parents expect.
    leave alone siblings, on many occasions things which we do with a sense of sacrifice or good intention do not get recognized at all.
    jayasala 42

BeingSoulful and Thyagarajan like this.
  9. jayasala42

Dear Sindmani,
    Thanks for the response. Now a days marriage is a costly affair and no one but the parents can take the responsibility of conducting the marriage.

jayasala 42

sindmani likes this.
  10. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Really sad. But society can be hard on some people. Life is not always fair.I can say next birth will be great for her. I know I am saying this to make up my mind . but she is the one who would heart felt a pinch in her heart through out. Her parents and siblings are lucky to get her in life. Many good parents are waiting for a kid like her.

momsky likes this.