1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Minute, Ready To Wear, Pre-pleated Saree?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Rihana, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Not for me!! Let's get that clarified first!!

I have been volunteered to help a 16-17 year old wear a saree to surprise her mother on Mother's Day. My consent was not sought. I am not looking forward to it. I am not good at helping others wear a saree. More importantly, I will be tagged on FB as the creator of the art when the pictures are posted. :facepalm:

All shopping will happen online, delivered to US address. All dressing at my place. I am buying stock in safety pin companies. My own Mother's Day is already ruined.

Anyway, so I found this nice website of one minute ready to wear pre-pleated sarees:
    The Original One Minute Saree | Ready to wear | Authentic Sarees

I want to get the girl to choose one of these, she can drape it herself, and I only have to do some minor adjustments.

Questions:
    1) Is it even a good idea to get a pre-pleated saree?
    2) Is it comfortable to sit, stand, walk outdoors and drive a car wearing such pre-pleated saree?
    3) Any other pre-pleated saree websites that deliver to US addresses?
    4) In that website, any fabrics to avoid? They have silk, chiffon, organza, net, cotton, crepe, satin, georgette. Within silk, they have art silk. I only know printed silk, cotton, mysore silk from previous century.

The dad of the girl is non-Indian and an old friend of ours. I cannot wriggle out of this.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2022
    Amica, chanchitra and Thyagarajan like this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I really liked the The Original One Minute Saree | Ready to wear | Authentic Sarees website. Cool to see a need translated into a sleek online business. At the ordering, they ask for waist size, waist to floor length, height. Then, for $10 extra, they also have the option of pleated pallu - it is pleated, pressed and secured with a clip (not stitched). : ) I also liked the multiple blouse options.

Thyagarajan and Ranchu like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

This is not what you asked for but I looked up Dolly Jain’s saree draping tutorials. I am going to start practicing on myself. Our entire work team has been invited to my Indian coworker’s daughter’s wedding. The bridal party will all be wearing Sabyasachi and I have been ordered to show up in a Kanjeevaram or else. Wish me luck!

KashmirFlower and Rihana like this.
  4. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I would have not liked the surprise if someone draped my daughter in her first saree without my knowing. Her first saree cannot be from some store. It needs to have meaning. It should be her grandmother’s handed down to mom(or something like that). It always comes from Amma’s wardrobe.
    The whole saree discussion process, finding the blouse, getting the jewelry from the bank locker, getting her into that saree, getting teary eyed as to how much she has grown, getting photos together - those are all beautiful memories and a perfect Mother’s Day gift. I got to do it with mine. She chose my mom’s wedding saree. Priceless!

Edited to add: Just my opinion but I’m one of those moms. This mom maybe completely ok with it.

Amica, KashmirFlower, nuss and 5 others like this.
  5. maalti

maalti Gold IL'ite

Seems to be really good. Has anyone ordered before? I would like to order. Please update

Rihana likes this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

I have seen plenty of you tube tutorials before I did the job for my colleague on a special wedding function. This colleague was from Australia & she had the perfect body to fit into that saree.
    I enjoyed the FB tag, and the comments later.

I assume, the young girl must have a perfect body too to carry her first saree.
    Some youtube tutorials would fix this problem.

I would go with normal saree instead of the ready made ones. Because, the hip size & the saree size is always tricky if you buy them on-line.
    It can ruin the beauty of the event.

Like @Laks09, I don't like the idea of someone else draping my DD's first saree.
    If that's not her first saree, it should be fine.

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Great idea Rihana, The website images show the pallu to be messy. The hip pleats seem neat idea. You can buy this and just adjust her pallu length , proper coverage of front blouse etc.

Another option for you is Saree skirt which has a pallu , check this website and it delivers within usa :
    Buy Women Yellow Pigment Foil Ruffled Sari Skirt - Cocktail Wear - Indya

Amica and Rihana like this.
  8. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

There are also local boutiques who bring in ready-to-wear sarees.
    Check this seller in Atlanta :
    https://fb.watch/clbpNPcohF/

you can reach out to her to see if she has any available for sale.

Rihana likes this.
  9. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I got inspired by Tiabhuva the moment I watched her pleating videos on Insta. I wanted to try this badly on my baby shower. My saree was Kanchipuram silk and it was not the regular variety. It was rising border. I couldn’t believe myself that I took more than 2 hours in just draping the saree :clapclap:
    I was 7 months pregnant and I struggled so much to cover my bump with some help from my spouse :confused:

I really wished I purchased the saree skirt on her website. Looks like it’s going to help especially for beginners!!

She also sells sarees and you can get it shipped to US as well.She is from our neighboring country!

Luxe Saree
    This one is pretty popular and looks like it’s very easy to drape as well.And I feel it would really look beautiful on young girls with lace or sequin blouse!!

She also has tons on reels on Instagram and this is my favourite
    Login • Instagram

Amica, maalti and Rihana like this.
  10. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

Pre-pleated sarees are great! I saw it on my Postdoc's wife at our Diwali celebration pre-pandemic. I wish I had known, would have saved me a lot of frustration. I will be taking all of my sarees to India and getting them pleated :). Sorry, I have no idea about pre-pleated sarees website....only know that it's a thing in my hometown.

Amica and Rihana like this.