1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Good Thing about your MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by puni88, Apr 5, 2007.

1. sandu

sandu Bronze IL'ite

This is a nice topic and interesting too. My mil & I generally get along well together. Some of her unique good things (which I didnt find in the posts above).
    1. Immense self-confidence. Rarely says "no". This is what I first learnt from her.
    2. Very adjusting type. Both in domestic issues and adventurous matters. (Coming to that, she is very adventurous for her age, something which I admire in her.) She could spend 4 days on McDonald's food without a cup of good (home-brewed) coffee, and walk a couple of miles on worn-out sandals without squinting an eye.:bowdown
    3. Helpful in nature, without expecting anything in return.
    4. Takes good care of me and tries to treat me like her daughter.
    5. Of course, a fine cook too. Always ready to share her tips with me. Cooks up delicious surprises for us.

That was a nice opportunity for me to list out her good points. I pray God continues to give me the patience to bear with her shortcomings and the ability to look mainly at the good things in her.
    Cheers. :coffee

2. sahitipaleti

sahitipaleti New IL'ite

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and newly married as well :)(5 months into marraige)...my two cents to the topic
    • My MIL has the most awesome sense of bargaining at any store, be it jewellery or sarees or groceries! I literally try to learn how she does it, but its so hard n comes with experience!!
    • She is a great cook. Contrary to the opinion that MIL's crib and point out mistakes of DIL's cooking, she has always encouraged me to try dishes n she would help me out. She loves cooking and gives me various tips always...
    • She loves her son tooo much and is a bit possessive, but every mother is possesive....its heartening to see how hard she works to just see her son smile or be happy....I realised I can never take her place, ever in my life, since she is too willing to do anything for him....but my husband says, I am just like her in this matter and would act like her, when time comes
    • she guides me in family matters and suggests how to solve the fights with my DH....I never liked it earlier when she used to ask me and my DH to tell her, what the fight was about...I felt we could solve it on our own....but then, some valuable suggestions came from her on how to handle them...however, she is always biased and would never go against her son :)...but for me, its the learning that mattered....
    • she has never tried to involve in our financial matters...she has left it to usto plan and would interfere only if we ask her for a suggestion.....
    • like every MIL, she has a downside too....she is possessive about her son and I let him spend enough time with her everyday....she wants to do her son's things herself and I tried to resist initially, only realising that she loves doing it and no point in trying to do it myself since I have the years to come, to do it for him....
    • She does discuss a lot of things with my DH in the back, but the good thing being that, my DH reveals only things that I need to know....
    • The best part of my MIL is that she never keeps things to heart and brood, she would question me and things would sort out immediately when they go wrong....
    • I was very skeptical and worried initially that I would go thru tough times after marraige, but thankfully, I am overall happy with a few glitches, here and there....I have committed mistakes too, since I am new to the environment, and they seem to have forgiven all of that slowly....
    • Over all, its imp to sort out things when they go wrong and its working pretty fine for me:)....
    • Looking forward for the gud times to come...since we might be moving to the USA in sometime and I would not get to spend time with my MIL and FIL then...
    • Btw, my FIL is very soft and does all the household work at one go....he is of great help to my MIL and I keep telling my DH to follow his father in this matter :)
    Cheers,
    Sahi

3. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

It is quite nice to see a lot of the posts....

. She is extremely generous. All you need to do is give her a sob story and she will swallow it hook line and sinker...
    . Managed the household on her own, as my father-in-law was away for most of the time.
    . Stood her ground in order to give her son a good education
    . Great cook
    . Good in crafts
    . Perfectionist.. (It is also a downside for her)

Mythili

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@ Mythili & Sahi,
    Glad you both have got good MIL and you guys get along well.
    Really Happy for you.

5. iyerponnu

iyerponnu Gold IL'ite

Puni,

Yes, my mom-in-law is quite good, but she has her negative points too... I didnt want to write about it... If you read thro' my post in this same section, you will know :)

But I have to give credits where they are due. For the most part, my in-laws are real good people... (as long as I place them on a pedestal and worship them, as long as I dont talk or even think about my parents...but she will constantly tell me that I have to visit them and be with them etc... but when I want to, that is a different story...). Yes we get along well, most of the time. As Sahi said, my mom-in-law is also very possessive...not just about her son, but also about me. Her possessiveness is beginning to get to me now and I cant do much about it!!

Mythili

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010