1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

One Good Thing about your MIL

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by puni88, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Neeti

Neeti New IL'ite

Hi
    I have been married for 3 years but still my MIL is a mystery for me. I would like to appericiate her diplomatic nature. She is wonderful woman who always hides her anger behind her smiley face .

2. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

Hi Puni,

hey, this is a great thread.
    when we can fill up the whole IL with negative's of IL's, you thought of a good one here and I appreciate that.
    to give away some good points about my MIL - yes, she's given me a wonderful hubby. It's her determination that sailed the family thru tough times.
    a fantastic cook - give her one ingredient and she'll come up with 10 recipes out of it, instantly.
    yes, a pillar of strength to the family.
    a great strategist.
    knows all the shlokas in the world.
    a very strong lady.

Regards,

3. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Hi Puni

Its nice to start this thread and I feel proud to tell abt my MIL.

Although I came to US immediately after marriage and dont have muc touch with her, I can tell abt my MIL very well.

She is a great cook, god fearing, always talks softly..

She doesnt demand anything.

She never interferes much personally, if she needs to say something, she will just tell once and she will never compel.

My husband's family has facecd lots of financial problems while he is studying, and to make it a point, with a very little salary of my FIL, she used to manage the family without even showing her difficult situations to their children. In that way, I can say that she manages the family very well.

She has a motherly affection to me, a situation I can say is now, I am pregnant and worries much that we live so far and she cudnt help me in any way!!! That proves her to me..

I am waiting to get all that love from her in person, to go to India, be with her.
    But at the same time, if I deny to something which is good, she is strict(not that strict) to tell me that "its good and u have to do it". For eg, I dont eat good vegetables, in that case she compels me to eat it..

I think if i live with her, I can give u a big essay about her :)

I feel happy to share u all about my MIL.

San

4. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

One good thing about my MIL is her perseverance. She is 83. She fell down 2 years ago and had a L1 fracture which was described as hair-line fracture. She was using the belt for several months. Doctors told her that if the belt doesn't work she has to be operated. She had a daytime nurse who taught her some physical excercises. Slowly she got rid of the belt and she is ok. now also she is walking inside the house with a timetable of her own so that arhtritis doesn't get her.
    I also surprised at her perseverance in getting a night time nurse( eventhough she don't need it.)
    As this thread is about talking only the good qualities, I am not able to elaborate her other side of perseverance. I am not able to resist --perseverance only to get her things done even it is a hassle or suffering for the people who take care of her (i.e. my husband and myself)
    Sriniketan

5. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

i am not in good tune with my MIL right now but very soon it will be ok.
    but my MIL has many good qualities--- whatever she cooks is always wonderful whether it is a simple fried dish without spices, she cooks with lot of patience. Every morning first she gives very small and cute smile which starts day with good note. Eventhough we are not in tune but whenever we meets she will ask my planning for life and blesses me- dont despair dont lose hope slowly u will get everything u dont stop keep on going. All these words reminds me now when i am alone. i am waiting for the day when things will be alright and we can be same to each other as we were in the starting and no ousider interferd our lives.

bye
    padma

6. geeta79

geeta79 Bronze IL'ite

Hello dear IL ites,

Its true that sometimes the Mother-in-laws can become Monster-in-laws, but people, we also have to think through their view point. A mother who has nurtured and carried her son in her womb for 9 months, brought him up to be a wonderful human being for almost 25-30 years. During all these years the mother is undoubtedly the center of attraction for the son. Then suddenly another woman (wife) comes into the sons life and all the attention is gone towards that other woman in his sons life. Definitely the mother may get a little bit anxious and scared about this situation which leads her to do somethings which the other woman (daughter-in-law) may not like. But that does not mean that the mother is not a good person, or does not like her daughter-in-law. But its just that she wants the daughter-in-law to follow the traditions and cultures of her home which she has been following. She wants the daughter-in-law to take care of the home, husband and kids just like the way she has taken care.

I love my MIL. Shes a very caring and wonderful person. She always supports me in many situations. She has never ordered me to do any work, though sometimes she tactfully indicates me to my mistakes, but she has never compelled me to follow her rules. Though we have different methods of doing our work, but we have never clashed about anything. I guess mutual understanding and sometimes the perspective of "let go" does go a long way in making the mother and daughter-in-law relationship much better.

Regards,
    Geeta.:2thumbsup:

7. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Dear Ladies,

To begin, it's a great thread. Just now, I read all the previous views about M-L in different shades.
    well, my M-L...to talk about her, neither one day won't be enough nor one page is enough to write about her.
    I hate her to the core...she has wounded me deeply through her words. ...I'm trying hard to forget & forgive...!
    but yet...I secretly admire her a lot! she is a power packed machine.
    Does all the job neatly & efficiently. whether it's cooking, cleaning,dressing up, anything for that matter...God has blessed her with all ' high voltage'!
    In short, she is a phenomenal person! I need to learn a lot from her.

Thanks puni...for opening this interesting thread!

cheers!
    Anu Shiv

8. SanchitaGhosh

SanchitaGhosh New IL'ite

Well she is good cook !

~Sanchita

9. geeta_sathish

geeta_sathish Senior IL'ite

Very nice thread.

Came up with these points within minutes of reading this topic. There are positives and negatives in this delicate relationship.

Here are my MIL's positives.

1. She is a very good cook. I learnt everything from the scratch from her and she never complained that I was zero in cooking when newly married.

2. She is very religious and follows all the pujaas and traditions well.

3. Friendly by nature. She has a good network of friends whom she meets regularly or talks regularly. I am also a very friendly person and my friends group is endless (touch wood). She has met all my friends and talks to them very well.

4. She is quite modern - She has bought me quite a few skirts and jean tops.

5. Very decent and no-nonsense type - Never asked my parents what they
    planned to do for our wedding.

6. Appreciates my parents for all that they have done and maintaines a good rapport with them, which I suppose doesn't happen in many families.

7. Both my FIL and MIL are never dependant on their sons financially. I will not say that I like it very much but it is something that I admire very much. Completely independant and very well planned.

8. Not interested in the material things of life like Gold, Silk etc.

9. She has managed her work and life balance well. It's interesting to listen about how she brought up two kids, attended to her MIL, did two different types of cooking everyday and also worked full time.

10. She makes and packs all kinds of podis for me whenever I visit India. Treats me very well and makes all my favourite dishes when I go and stay with her.

11. She also has a very neat kichen. Uses minimal dishes to cook and always keeps the counter top and gas stove very neat. Even if she has just cooked on it, you won't believe it unless she tells you. I spend an hour cleaning up after finishing the cooking and all the kitchen sink will be loaded with dishes when I am done. Have to learn how she manages to use very less dishes to cook.

If there are any threads for good things about FILs, I could write pages and pages. He is a very very sensible no-nonsense person, who deserves the "Best FIL" award.

Cheers,
    Geetha

10. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

:goodidea:

Hi All,

I'm so glad to see so many positive and happy DIL's. I've been married for 2 1/2 years and I always though that my IL's will also be my parents. To be honest my MIL is not very nasty with me but vicious. Unfortunately my hopes have shattered and I have to live like a DIL.

The best thing about her is that she loves her kids the most and the problem is she can't LET GO.

Something that I'd like to apply in my life from her is "Endless Energy". Really, she's got problem with one of her legs, inspite of it, she can move, talk, cook and take care of her kids and grand kids with no shortcomming. She can live with just 3-4 hours of sleep and when everyone's home for vacation, she becomes "Super-Woman". Just wish she'd cared the same for me too.

Sai Lalitha
    See Always Inside