1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oil for LO

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Padminiramesh, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I was using Badam oil for Hayagreev and he was good with soft skin. But last couple of days i started using olive oil and i could see skin rashes in him. The skin is not at all soft now. I am confused. Anyways i am stopping Olive oil. Is it ok to continue Badam oil immedietely or should i wait for one or two days for the skin to heal. Also on the same day, i started using J&J milk bath (Vitamin A and E) for him. I am not sure which one is causing the problem. But from day 1 i am using J&J milk lotion (Vitamin A and E) and it is good with him.
    Please advise

2. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Hi Padminiramesh,

I think u should try pure coconut oil. My colleagues son used to come to office very often for his holidays. he was in 5th Std that time. Must be 9 - 10 yrs old. His skin was so...... soft and he was glowing like anything. When I asked his Mom, she said, every day before bath she used to apply coconut oil and leave it for 10 mins and then give him a bath.

Such a soft and glowy skin i can't forget. Try that.

3. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Padmini,

I think you need to continue with almond oil. If you get til oil its good for bones and good in winter too. Olive oil darkens the skin is all I know.
    You can see if almond oil worsens the rash and then wait for some days before trying again. In case you are interested then Pears soap works wonders on the skin. I think Vidya used almond oil and her LO got rashes.

While each child is different, DD got rashes with coconut oil and we switched to J & J oil and eventually moved to Dabur Lal tail. I stopped using oil on the face after three months.

I think its best to continue with one oil and after six months you can switch to Dabur Lal tail on hands and legs.

4. sherin78

sherin78 Silver IL'ite

Padmini,

I heard that olive oil darkens the skin and if u feel it makes rashes on your DS's skin better discontinue. you can continue with the oil which suits your child's tender skin as it varies from each child. I started with J& j oil but was not very satisfied with the product. Now I use virgin cocnut oil. Mostly keralites use this oil as other baby oils are nothing compared to this one.It has a sweet smell and said the children will not get any rashes. if you have lot of time and patience then try making at home otherwise go in for store bought one.

5. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I think you should go back to using badam oil.

My son got rashes when I used J&J products...I just use butter for him now and use Aveeno body wash...

6. ridgemma

ridgemma Gold IL'ite

Padmini
    Almond oil / badam oil is the best...my SIL son had a fair face but dark legs and hands...she is regular with this oil and it did improve the complexion..think there is a thread also on this...

for my DD tis J&J oil..

7. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

I second Sudha on J & J allergies for some products.

For me the below worked sans allergies:-

1) Till 6 months - J & J Vitamin E body oil, Pears Soap, Mother Care Lotion
    2) After 6 months - Dabur Lal Tail, Pears Soap, Mother Care Lotion

For face I did apply Mother Care Lotion and then now I apply Neem Oil in case of any mosquito bites.

The above worked for me. I must admit that I seen a remarkable difference in DD after using Dabur Lal Tail. Some oils are for beautiful skin but it is also essential that the bones are strengthened too.

8. Padminiramesh

Thanks so much ladies.
    Today i applied Almond/badam oil and looks like the texture is improving. I could see only few dry skin area...Previously his chest and hands both had dry skin, but now only in his hands i see. I think it may go off soon....Thanks so much once again.

9. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Padmini - I think almond oil suits ur son better. So, continue it.
    I used J&J and pure coconut oil. Both suited DD well.
    Oflate, I started olive oil on few days, though there are no rashes, I am worried as u people say it darkens the skin. Is it true?

10. Padminiramesh

Suman,
    Olive oil looks like darkens the skin...but Almond is really good:thumbsup
    Ladies,
    Can i use Vaseline petrolium Jelly on LO's skin on the dry area?