1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oh My God! Episode 6

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, May 1, 2009.

1. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar

Thank you for this wonderful story, which I had not known until now. It is very blissful to recite these lines. It emphasizes the fact that if we learn not to take the basic necessities for granted, we will be at peace.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sridhar,

I have to agree with Sudha. You did fulfill the expectations you built up!! So, peace! :)

I could sense that you have penned this episode with a lot of emotion and devotion. That in itself makes it a very special one. Nammazhvar surely suffered from a very sweet pain. I do not understand his suffering because I am a mere mortal. But I can understand that there is something very elusive and I should strive to find it.

The story of KG and his friend was very touching and moves one to tears.

I loved the one and half lines on the Almighty. The way you have explained it goes straight to heart and mind and will reside there forever.

Thanks once again for the wonderful story and for introducing Nammazhvar to us. This favor will always be remembered.

L, Kamla

3. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Boost,

Hats of Hats off.....Please accept my standing ovation on the net. The tired body and sleeplessness state of Yams is not hers alone I too join her after a bout of viral attack and this has given immense rejuvanation to the body and soul.

These one and half lines summarise everything what the Gita says. I too wondered why sufferings has been left out by our azhwar but the way Logu cleared it was super o super...

Would like to share this here with all. Just yesterday Swami Sukhabodhananda has started his talks on Gita here. Myself and DH are his great fans though I could not go yesterday to listen to his preaching my DH went alone. Morning he was narrating what Swamiji spoke yesterday (not like Arvind & Yams conversation).

This is how it goes........ a very religious person had this habit of reading the Gita daily and absorb its meaning. He was very sure of the effects of Gita on a person. His son was his quite the opposite. He read the Gita and told his father as to what is there in the same....why do people go ga ga over the same. It is too boring...etc. The father was a very wise man he asked his son to bring water in a basket from the river. The son religiously went to the river and brought water in the basket but by the time he came near his father the basket was empty (as there were small holes due to the pattern of weaving). But the son never left his attempts he tried again & again and the result was same. After almost 6 - 7 trips he was tired and exhausted and told his father about his plight. The father smiled and asked him as to the state of the basket now and on his first attempt. The basket which was dirty had become so clean because of the contact of water. Similary whether the person takes into him the core of Gita or not just the contact with it will make his mind pure..... I was simply awestruck by the analogy given by the Swamiji...A very beautiful message.

Thanks a lot Sri.... I too pray alongwith KG that an iota of the kind of love Logu had should also be blessed on us. Only with his Karunai we can have this kind of love for him.

Like ARR style..."Ellam pugazhum Iraivanukke", I sign off as I will be leaving my base and returning only on 7th. Till then bye see you all.

Take care.

4. smileypooja

smileypooja Senior IL'ite

Dear Vara,

Thankyou :thumbsupvery much for sharing such a masterpiece with us...After your sri sooktham now i have planned to add these lines to my daily prayers ...:bowdown

shall give a detailed fb soon..

-Pooja.

5. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Meenakshi,
    thanks for being the very first to respond to this thread. There is a misconception meenakshi that we should chant only some mantras in sanskrit. Actually what lends power to the chanting is the meaning and the inherent love. I have read hundreds of books, most of them spiritual texts. I am yet to come across something as profound as these lines.
    Sorry to know that your father had cancer. It's really a blessing to have one's children chant God's name while one is in his last moments. I would say that your father is a really blessed soul.
    Thanks for the fb once again, meenakshi. Now pray God that I should come up with something good for the next episode.
    love,
    sridhar

6. varalotti

Dear Indhu,
    I am really happy and thrilled that my post has made you chant those immortal lines of the Greatest of Azhwars. And happier still to know that those lines give relief to you.
    You are right dear. Those lines give relief not only from cancerous pain but also from nagging husbands. ha ha ha
    Eagerly waiting for your next visit.
    love,
    sridhar

7. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear sridhar,
    again a master piece from you combining the " baktha bhava" of two devotees." Ulagam yaviyum thamula vakkalum, nilai peruththalum neekalum neengala, alagila vilai yattudaiyar thalaivar averkke saran nangale".this the wordings of Kambhan. like that Logu completely surrendered himself to God by uttering those words putting his body, mind and soul to him.when he said even in his pain he saw the LORD, i recollected the words of mahakaviBharathi" Theekul viralai vaiththal nanadhalaa ninnai thenum inbham thonrudhaiye
    nandhalala". sridhar, my thought is ( i may be wrong) the bakthi of the simple man Logu, surpasses the bakthi of Nammazhwar, who at the age of sixteen itself found aplace in the heart of 'Madhurakavi'. i could not think Logu as an imaginary character and i literally shed tears when that noble soul left for the heavenly abode.sorry if i have blabbered something. still i am in that mood.
    with love
    pad

8. Malathijagan

Malathijagan Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    I have no words to express my feelings when I read this 6th episode except repeating those 1 and a 1/2 lines that are so too simple and yet so pregnant with meaning!

[FONT=TSCu_Veeravel]உண்ணும் சோறு கண்ணன்[/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Veeravel]பருகும் நீர் கண்ணன் [/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Veeravel]தின்னும் வெற்றிலையும் கண்ணன் [/FONT]
    [FONT=TSCu_Veeravel]எல்லாம் கண்ணன்[/FONT]

I do have to share one more coincidence (if I could call it so) that happened. This after noon I was going through the Bhagavad Geetha 6th chapter, verses 21 to 25 and the 22nd sloka says exactly about how one should become one with the Lord that even if his body is cut into pieces or fire burns him, nothing should occupy his mind except the Supreme being.

Yam Labdhva chaaparam Laabham
    Manyathe Naadhikam thatha: (I)
    Yasmin sthitho na dhukkena
    Gurunaapi Vichaalyathe (II)

meaning-
    That by gaining which, he (the yogi) thinks there is no greater gain beyond this and in which, being established, he is not shaken by sorrow- however great.

The story of Loganathan was a wonderful example to show how simple it is to love God. Nammaazhwar's story was an added bonus to this episode. You simply made us shed tears of joy by sharing them with us and showing us the way to love God in such a simple way.
    Love,
    Malathi

9. varalotti

Dear Sudha,
    today I'll let out a secret to you. You should have observed some kind of pattern in my building up the expectation. I did it for ALS 10 OMG 2, now OMG 6.
    While writing these pieces I could very distinctly feel that the things were not under my control. We were in Chennai during 18 to 20th April. And I was planning to write an episode based on one of my earlier stories. That Logu incident was to be given only as a ten-line prelude. But when I started writing on a sunny Saturday afternoon I could not stop myself. I went on and on with Logu and finished the serial with that Nammazhwar incident which my teacher had told me long back.
    Then I know that this episode does not belong to me though technically I created the fiction. Hence the build-up.

Many years back I read these lines in a book written by the writer Sujatha. I had almost forgotten it. At least I was thinking like that. When my teacher quoted those lines and explained the concept of poshakam, tharakam and bhogyam, I was clearly floored.

The beauty of Nammazhwar's composition is that with the others you need to take some efforts to memorize it, while with these lines, you can't forget them if you take so much of efforts.

Yes, they constitute the entire spirituality. The rest are just frills.

the penance we can do as far as our pains are concerned is to just keep them within the confines of our body.
    Many years ago one Swamiji gave a simple training to me. He told me that we should not say "எனக்குத் தலை வலிக்கிறது." but rather say, "என் தலைக்கு வலிக்கிறது."
    There is a world of difference between these statements. Knowing that difference is the beginning of wisdom.

Thanks for the fb, Sudha.
    love
    sri

10. varalotti

Sriniketan,
    I deem it as my blessing that I could give some relief to such a good lady. These lines are based on the force of love. And there is nothing greater, subtler, more powerful, more benevolent and more giving than this life force. When you chant these lines you tell Him in effect that you are Him. For if what you eat is Kannan, what you drink is Kannan and what you enjoy is also Kannan who can you be, other than that blue-eyed Lord?
    May that Lord of Love fill your mind with love and happiness.
    sridhar