1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Oct 2nd is Gandhi Jayanti

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Shubha Balu, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Shubha Balu

Shubha Balu New IL'ite

It was Oct 1st. A wavy haired seven year old was worried. She was one those rare kinds who wanted to go to school every day. But earlier that day a notice was circulated in her school and her teacher had announced the dreadful. Holiday on Oct 2nd. It was Gandhi Jayanti. She was not sure why the schools would be closed. Too embarassed to ask in class, she headed towards home with a heavy heart. Her papa had returned home after a hard days' work. She stood there staring at papa, waiting for papa to ask what was worrying his little girl. Papa noticed the anxiety in her face and asked her what was bothering her. The little girl complained, "Papa, I wanna go to school but it is closed tomorrow." Papa asked her, "U know why it is closed tomorrow." The girl replied enthusiastically, "Yes Papa, Its Oct 2nd and it is Gandhi Jayanthi." Papa was still lost savouring the feeling of pride owing to his daughter's intelligence, when she popped up a question,"Papa, What is Gandhi Jayanthi?". The papa in a reassuring tone tried to enlighten his daughter. He replied, "It is Mahatma Gandhi's Birthday, dear and the whole nation celebrates it by declaring Oct 2nd as Gandhi Jayanthi and a national holiday that would keep all schools and offices closed." The girl instantly inquired, "Papa, will it be a national holiday on my birthday?" The puzzled father could just squirm at his daughter's presence of mind.
    A decade down the lane, Papa dearest still narrates this incident to all and sundry in his own inimitable comic way and vivid detailing. However, these days he goes on to add that this was the reason why he made sure his second daughter was born on December 25, An International Holiday.

The elder daughter is Shubha Balu :)

2. Amywos

Amywos Bronze IL'ite

Hhaaaaaa haaaaaaaa haaaaaa haaaaaaa LOL :) :)
    Nice one Shubha..

Love,
    Amy

3. swathi14

swathi14 IL Hall of Fame

Hai Subha

Nice one. So you wanted national holiday for your Birthday. Why not write to Govt. regarding this. We will get one day leave extra.

better luck.

NIce blog and I enjoyed it.

4. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

in a magzine , there used to be a column..
    'bachhon ke mukh se',(from the kids mouth) relating about the cute incidents of kiddos. after years i've been reminded of that column .kidz r kidz r kidz r.........
    beautiful and:spin

5. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Amy,

Good one..... Though my dd's birthday does not fall on holidays but both their birthdays are celebrated by all...younger one's fall on Valentine's day and elder one falls on Teacher's day... both of them cannot fight...

When we are declaring holidays for all persons... maybe we will get one on your birthday too in the near future...ha ha ha

6. Shubha Balu

Shubha Balu New IL'ite

Thanks Swathi

@Muzna: Yes, I remember even in woman's era there is a section like that, called baby talk or something. Its fun reading and listening their cute stories. Kids are always fun.

@Lalitha: Haha....I think I should also time my kids' births to avoid similar instances.... I wonder if these traits are heritable! :)