1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Nutrition Labels?

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by varshini, Jul 20, 2005.

1. varshini

varshini New IL'ite

Recently I went shopping with an American lady (first time) and for every product that she bought, she was turning over the packet and reading the nutrition label. I was quite embarrased to say the least. I NEVER look at the nutrition label before buying a product. Do any of you look at them? If yes, how do you read them and what do you look for in that label?

2. Roshni

Roshni Local Champion Staff Member Senior IL'ite

Nutrient facts!

Hi Varshini,

Mainly what most people look for in the nutrition label are calories per serving, fat content, sugar or salt content, vitamins and minerals and fibre content. These days in the U.S. people are very 'carb' conscious - so they check for the carbohydrate content - low carbs.

I never use to check the nutrition label when I was in India, but I learnt after coming here from these people.

3. shakila

shakila Junior IL'ite

Varshini, I have uploaded a nutrition label here. For some reason, you are able to see this label only if you are logged in. If you are able to see the nutrition label, you can easily relate to my explanation below...

Serving Size - It is the recommended portion of that food that can be taken during a serving.

Servings Per Container - The number of portions/servings in the container.

All the nutritional information provided in the label is for the serving size - not for the full container. In the below example, it says that the serving size is 54g. So, 54gms of the product contains...

200 Calories - Compare that to the daily intake of 2000 calories and make an assessment as to how weighty the product is. Of the 200 Calories, 25 calories are from Fat. Given the heightened interest in fat during the 90's, many consumers looked for the fat calories in their food.

Then the label breaks out the amount of calories from each type of nutrition like Fat, Cholesterol, Sodium, Carbohydrate and Protein. On the right side it also provides info on what percentage of the daily requirement of that nutrient comes from a single serving of this food.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  4. swtester7

swtester7 New IL'ite

I even dont know much about 'Nutrition Facts' when I was India.

But when I was in USA, i lived thr for almost 3 yrs. I was reading lot of blogs/articles on Health then i come to know why it is imp to check nutrition facts evrytime you but any food.

When i buy any product i usually checks for Protein and fats % value. Protien should be high and fat shud be less.

5. shagydeep

shagydeep Bronze IL'ite

Hello,
    No never...