1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nurturing children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Laxmiji,

So true dear friend.But i am guilty too of criticizing people instead of appreciating their good points.If people dont praise me , i pick faults with them.Dont worry i wont with u , god promse.HAHA

But this is the general trned, we do tend ot critise more, thn praise,But i guess that makes life more spicy.:biglaughWell said.

Regards

kamal

2. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Praise and not flattery improves relationship and enhances the feel good factor.People who are regularly praised do better in life even though oldies like me whisper-dont praise too much-it will go to his head.I remember my old English teacher going through 3 pages of flawless composition but pointing out the single minor mistake.That was his way of prodding the boy to aim at perfection.
    Thanks for the FB.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

3. vishy

vishy Bronze IL'ite

HI LN

Very informative post. God has created every single thing in this world unique. The real good Artist He is, has painted rainbows of qualities in each and everyone of his creation. I feel there is a purpose behind all his work.

Nature teaches us a lot.... We should leave the water behind and drink only the milk like the beautiful swans do...

If we learn to understand the uniqueness of things and appreciate them, it'l be as good as giving a positive feed back to Him on his work :)....

Vishy

4. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vishy,
    Thanks for the FB.Your swan example is simply beautiful.He has done the balancing act and let us learn to live with it peacefully.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

Deepali_deepali likes this.
  5. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Dear LN sir,

An inspiring post.. God has made innumerable small and big creatures, all with different different abilities. And sometimes we humans, most powerful creation of God grumble to God for our deficiencies..

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Deepali,
    Thanks for the FB.Bernard Shaw said"We have no more right to consume happiness without producing it"-One way to do that is to look at the positive aspects of an individual and let him know that you have noticed them.
    Thanks once again and regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

7. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear LN Sir,

A crisp post that is filled with abundant wisdom! Loved it.

To recognize and acknowledge the strong points in another person is such a vital trait to possess but very hard to find and cultivate.

This trait is extremely important when raising and handling kids since their minds thrive on positive feedback and encouragement and can wither by harsh comments (no matter how true they may be). It is very important that parents strike a healthy balance between praising them and correcting them.

But some parents seem to take up their parental roles very seriously and think that their big role is in making every possible thing in the child perfect! I many times find parents having lofty aspirations for their children disregarding the child's inherent nature and bent of mind. Very sad. They correct the child in every small thing citing the reason for correction as " I only mean good for the child". You sure do, but the end result is not going to be good.

I think if at all I were to err, I would err on giving extra doses of praise rather than extra doses of correction. I feel too much nitpicking and pointing out of undesirable traits kills the positive spirit of a child and sort of makes them question their judgement and thinking at every step. Not good for bringing up an individual with a healthy sense of self-esteem and confidence.

Positive reinforcement I feel works the best in most cases. Not all cases, but most. I agree that some times we do have to make them do a harsh reality check. But by and large if we reinforce positive behavior by encouraging them, by following the positive traits ourself thereby setting a living example for them then I think they learn well from it.

Same applies to adults as well. But many times our ego and vanity come in the way of recognizing people for their good. We tend to focus on what they did not do rather than what they did.

Thanks for the wonderful post Sir!

Warm regards,
    SS

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear SS,
    Thanks for the analytical and exhaustive FB on a very important subject.Strokes are necessary whether positive or negative according to psychologists and are better than ignoring the children.According to the Management Guru Sharu Rangnekar,Executive menopause sets in for many of us at some stage or other when we meet road blocks in our career progression that we push the children thinking that they will fulfil our dreams.Under such pressure either the children fail or are driven to nervous debility.Understanding their strengths and building on them will give far better results.
    I propose to dwell on Executive menopause after I marshal enough data by way of case studies.Thanks for writing on the subject.If you get time please visit my blog"I cant make him out-can you?
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN