1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Nurturing children

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jun 1, 2009.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

NURTURING CHILDREN

Here is something interesting which I came across and would like to share with you:

The humming bird is tiny and weighs only about one tenth of an ounce.It can make complicated manoevres in the sky like twists and turns and can fly upside down and backwards.Its shoulder joints are so flexible that it can move its wings forward and backward,beating them seventy five times per second.This enables the humming bird to hover around a flower and drink nectar from it.Unfortunately its legs are so weak that it cant hop.It cant also soar or glide as as some birds do.Even if it has to change its position on a twig it cant just move but fly to reach the new point.

Take the case of Ostrich.It is the largest of the birds and weighs 300 pounds.But its strong point is its legs ,can take strides of 12 to 15 feet and can sprint upto 50 miles an hour.Unfortunately it cant fly.

The peregrine Falcon otherwise called duck hawk is the fastest creature on earth.It is the size of a crow and can catch its prey diving at a speed of more than 175 miles per hour.

Are you surprised at the differences among birds –you will not be if you compare with the differences among humans.The Olympic games demonstrate infinite variety of special talents and endurance..Each individual is endowed with unique skills and talents as well as bogged down by invidual deficiencies.Understanding the individual’s strengths and building on them while helping to overcome inadequacies will make the world a better place.The same principle is eminently suited for bringing up children by building on their strengths and not harping on their deficiencies..
    Reference-Three minutes a day-Christopher Books.

2. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear SLN,
    That was an interesting thought.

Each individual is endowed with unique skills and talents as well as bogged down by invidual deficiencies.Understanding the individual’s strengths and building on them while helping to overcome inadequacies will make the world a better place.The same principle is eminently suited for bringing up children by building on their strengths and not harping on their deficiencies..

The same priniciple that one should build on or atleast learn to appreciate the strengths of an individual should hold good in all walks of life.
    I come across men who compare thepr spouses with other women,
    "She is so smart,she keeps a shining kitchen,why does our kitchen looks filthy?" forgetting the fact that their better halfs are endowed with generous hearts and forgiving nature.
    I come across women who compare their husbands with other men.
    "Do you know,so and so's husband takes her on a holiday every year?When was the last time we went on a holiday?"forgetting the fact that their dhs toil and save money for the rainy days.

Children do suffer a lot when their parents refuse to identify their various skills that remain dormant in them,not getting encouragement from parents who are interested in 99percent in all subjects,noting more nothing less.

Strange are the ways of the world!

Regards
    mithila

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    sindmani likes this.
  3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Sir,
    You have rightly said concentrate on the good qualities and less attention to be paid to negative points. We can't be best in all and each one has their own area of mastery.

This applies not only for nurturing children, but also for dealing with any human beings. Then you start noticing that deficiencies fade away,we will be seeing the only the skills, talents and good nature

Thanks,
    Jaya

4. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi mama
    You always write great snippets about relevant topics and matters that count .

I never knew these facts about the humming bird though I was aware of the Ostrich.

You have managed to highlight what can be considered the most important lesson for a parent in these few lines. Most parents I know focus on the deficient side of a child and overlook every significant achievement. Mainly because the child might not measure up to preconceived notions exisiting within the parents mind!

This helps reinforce in mind of what the focus should be for a parent.
    Thanks for sharing.:)

The best inheritance a parent can give to his children is a few minutes of their time each day.-Grundler

5. Richa_05

Richa_05 Senior IL'ite

Dear LN Sir,
    I was just wondering yesterday if you are back from your holiday. Couldn't wait to read something interesting from you in the snippet section and walla! here you are today. Wow!

Such an interesting write up and thanx for the reference. I believe that it's always best to take the good points and leave the bad or the ones that we don't agree with.......cause after all, nobody is perfect. And with kids, it's best to encourage them to grow as per their individuality, their likes and just guide them to make sure that they don't go overboard or slip away from a path that we, as elders, know would ensure their well being.

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Jaya,
    Thanks for the FB.If we like someone we highlight his good qualities and prepred to ignore the deficiencies.It is the other way round when we dont like some one.This happens particularly in the corporate world vitiating the conducive environment for team spirit.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

7. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Anandchitra,
    Thanks for your comments.By harping on the deficiencies we drive the children to develop inferiority complex and the I am not OK feeling.We have to go out of the way to find the strengths and make every effort to build on them.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

8. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Richa,
    As parents it is our responsibility to guide them,place all the cards on the table and allow them to decide.Problem starts when we thrust our ideas on them.I was sorry to read a news item,four days back that a father committed suicide because his son a top grader refused to study medicine.Our experience has become a part of Indian history and is no longer relevant for the changing dynamics of the current competitive world.
    By the by I have posted a blog"I cant make him out-can you".Hope you will enjoy reading it.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Sir,
    Interesting facts about differences in birds..which also side by side, highlights its strengths..see here too, I saw the differences first..:biggrin2:

Rightly said..here in schools, they ask for strengths and weakness for the child..and the like..

Looking good in others too...makes our life easy going..'kuttram paarkkil suttram illai..'.

sriniketan

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sriniketan,
    What an apt kural you have quoted.There lies the essence of good relationship and success.
    By the by,as and when you get time have a look at my blog-I cant make him out-can you?
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN