1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

NRI husbands considering Indian wives so cheap - The magnitude of the problem.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by indianguy2010, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Friends,

We have been coming across, threads in this section, in the last six months, discussing about how NRI husbands assess and handle Indian women cheaply. They , in some cases, leave their wives, after engagements………..in some cases, after marriage and going to the foreign country only the wife comes to know that the husband had a former wife / lover, with whom he still continues to have connections. Then, the wife , either returns back to India on her own, or in some cases, the hubby chases her back to India.

We have already discussed, why , in the first place, such NRI husbands agree to marry Indian women, when they already have a wife / lover. The answer , we got, seems to be, it is because, they consider Indian women so cheap. Hence, they think, they can try living with Indian women for sometime and if the deal does not work out, NRI hubbies can chase them (Indian women) back to India.

I shared with you all, sometimes back, that Gujarat and Punjab has the maximum number of such wives deserted by NRI husbands. In Punjab the dimension of the issue is so huge that the Government has formed a special Police cell for this purpose, yesterday.

Let us have a small discussion on the magnitude of the issue in your region (the place, where you live in India,) according to the information available to you. That is one purpose of starting this thread. The second purpose is...........to spread awareness among the IL community, about the gravity of the problem in the country. A Govt. forms a Special Police Cell, for a particular crime....... means, these Police Personnel, will do only that particular job. Examples of Special Cells of Police are Terrorists Cell, Narcotics Cells etc. Their full time job will be to do that special job only, considering the volume of that special job.

Here the Special Cell will deals with.....only with, the Indian wives cheated by NRI husbands. That much is the problem, that huge is the number of Indian wives cheated by NRI husbands.

The following is the news summary. (Detailed news of the same, can be accessed easily by googling )

The Punjab government on Tuesday announced the setting up of a high-power cell headed by an Inspector-General of Police to provide assistance to brides deserted by non-resident Indian husbands.

The cell would also assist, rescue and seek to provide justice to youths trapped in other countries after being sent fraudulently by unscrupulous travel agents.

The announcement was made by Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal while addressing the Punjab NRI Summit-2011 held at Jalandhar. He said the government was determined to effectively counter the growing practice of NRIs fleeing after marrying Punjabi girls, leaving them in the lurch. This dedicated cell, besides providing legal aid to the affected women, would also pursue the criminal case in the country where the NRI bridegroom had fled.

To Moderators :

At the moment, I do not know where to start this thread. Hence, I started it here, as I found it is relevant here. I am sorry , if I am wrong, in choosing this section to start this thread.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
    1 person likes this.

2. indianguy2010

120 members have viewed............but no single reply..........!

Have I taken up an unimportant issue ? :bonk I thought it is a very serious and important one....!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

IG,

I beleive all these things get coverd on Indian TV.As far the people who live in US,won't get to see those stories.

Atleast 50% of people on this website may live in US and most of the people might have good husbands.

Just my View.Some people might be doing it,like your might also have cases in india.But can't blame the whole world(All NRI husbands)

4. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

I think its got more to do with the attitude. I've been living abroad since 2years. My outlook on many aspects changed. But to what extent you stick to your value system and roots depends on many factors. My friend's colleague is from Kakinada (Small town in AP). He has a GF here who is from Belgium. His parents were against this, but he moved in with her (live-in relationship). He sees nothing wrong in it. If it doesnt work out in the long term, he's probably going to settle down with an arranged marriage. This doesnt necessarily mean he is bad or something, but it doesnt go well with my value system.

I consider keeping such things in the dark and getting married to someone is cheating. Its cheap.

Also, I think a lot of NRI guys take their wives for granted because of the financial dependency.... 90% of the cases go on H1 dependent visa and hence cannot work... and after a few months, when the see someone else's wife working, jealousy starts (based on true story of a friend) ...

1 person likes this.
  5. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

IG, Resident of India or NRI, if a persons intention is to cheat, he is going to find a way to cheat. So, I wouldnt say the problem is only with NRI's. Its with every one. If its an arranged marriage, its important that the background check is done.

I dont mean to derail your thread but I can give you an example. My own example. Before I got married to DH, I was engaged to someone from Hyderabad. After meeting him for the first time, he came across as a wonderful person. We spoke on phone for a few weeks and he said that he is working as a manager in Dell. I somehow didnt go into too many details...Infatuation you see:). I already had a great job in England and before going back I asked him to send his resume to me. The intention was that I sponsor him to come to UK after marriage. 1 day stretched to 1 month and still no resume. I kept asking him and he kept postponing.

Then it struck to me that he could actually be lying to me about job and asked my friend in Dell to persuade some HR friends to check about him. It turns out he is not employed with Dell. Later we also found out that the penthouse which they claimed to be theirs is rented.

We broke off the engagement because he cheated even before we got married. I was 1 month away from wedding date.

Like I said, women should be careful...very careful when it comes to marriage, NRI or otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
    3 people like this.
  6. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

It would be interesting to know what percentage of NRI's are from Gujarat and Punjab. Because from what I've noticed, there are a lot of gujarati NRI's and a lot of Punjabi NRI's (especially in Canada). So.... are we seeing a lot of bride abandonments from these communities because that is the trend in those states, or is it because they have the highest rate of NRI's, and hence the most opportunity to do such a thing.

Because I think if every state in India had an equal number of NRI's, we would probably see nearly equal abandonment rates accross the country. I don't think Gujarati's or Punjabi's are inherintly bad, I just think they make up the largest number of NRI's. For example, my dh is Gujarati, and there were lots of people from that community where we lived in Tampa. However, it was really really rare that I would meet somebody from say, Kashmir or Bihar. But I'm sure if Biharis were as numerous abroad as Gujarati's, we would hear similar stories of abandonment happening in the Bihari community. I THINK. I guess we would only know for sure if someone did a study on it.

As for why SOME nri men dump their wives back in India.... I think it's because they may be torn between the western life they have become accustomed to in the U.S. (which may include dating, bachelor life, etc) but still have relatives with eastern values urging them to go the traditional route for marriage and "settle down". Then there are those who just want to collect dowry and make off like bandits. I knew of a guy in the U.S. who got married in gujarat to a girl from the next village over from his, and then left her there to "wait for visa". She's still there waiting years later. He got married only because his sister wanted to see him "settled". His sister even picks out his socks and undies. Without her he'd be lost. So until his sister decides to bring over the wife, the guy is happy to live without her.

It's sad when hopeful new brides get dumped like that. I hope all these young women get justice and are able to find happiness.

7. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

To be fair an NRI is considered a very good catch , people sometimes do not investigate as they find it hard to do so .
    The news item was about girls from middle class background , mediocre education leading a miserable life after such marriages.
    Its common to find entire families migrating , being sponsored by the Son -IL.
    It there is a choice between an NRI guy and a desi guy who would be chosen ?? There is the lure of $ , foreign country and girls fall for the glamour.
    The parents want an arranged marriage complete with horoscope matching, dowry, the guy succumbs marrying and leaving the bride to look after the aged parents .

8. optimist

optimist New IL'ite

i my self NRI from AP studied and living in US for past 5 yrs about to get married. in AP this is not such a big problem but may be some cases might have got reported. but i do believe you have to expect some differences in their values compared to most people back home. " WEST is more of speak u r mind compared to our own indian" this air will bring in that change could be good or bad. but plz dont say that they think indian wives are cheap. they dont think their own culture people are cheap.

optimist

9. indianguy2010

Hi Priya,

yes, you are right. Even more than 90 % of those NRI hubbies may be good to their wives. And certainly as you said, we can not blame the entire community of NRI hubbies.

But, the other side of the story is..........here in the place where I am living, there is a vast number of young women, who have been deserted by NRI husbands. The number of such women is so huge, that, the Govt of Gujarat is contemplating to do something similar to what Govt of Punjab has done.

Governments are usually lazy in acting. If Governments wake up and act on the issue means.............the numbers of desertion is huge. Hence, an Indian woman should be doubly cautious to verify the claims of an NRI husband, especially whether he has a job or not.............more so , whether he is already married or have a former lover or not.

thanks for dropping in.

10. indianguy2010

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.