1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Now, It's Time For a Walk on the Banks of Vaigai!

Discussion in 'Saturdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Dec 3, 2006.

1. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Your replies are getting nicer by the day, Kamla!

Dear Kamla,

" The Vaigai banks must be richer for rearing loving and sincere sons like you and daughters like Chitra."

These words made me really proud.

The one distinguishing feature of Vaigai is its being dry for most part of the year. There is also a Vaigai Dam some 50 kms from Madurai, which used to be a favourite picnic spot.

Regarding the story of the woman we were all watching the scene. From the distance we stood we could not find out what was happening. None of the persons involved in the incident came out alive to tell us what happened. The report which came in the newspapers is the version of some of the rescuers who were swimming nearby.
    In terms of credibility the story can be designated apocryphal. But as a writer I loved this version. That is why I reported it.

I share your skepticism in this regard; but there have been many occasions in my life where I have suspended my disbelief. In fact I think that was my first step to being a writer.
    regards,
    sridhar

2. varalotti

Your post was even more romantic!

Dear Chitra,

How I wish I also studied in a co-ed college and had this blissful opportunity of chaperoning the girls, especially to go to see Vaigai.

But unfortunately (ladies please don't tell this to my wife) I studied in all boys school, all boys college and CA in those days was an all-males-profession. The height of it was that the auditor office I apprenticed, had only a male sweeper.

My wife has heard about this pulambal and she would quote something from your proverb section,
    ஆட்டுக்கு வாலையும் அளந்துதான் கொடுத்துருக்கான் ஆண்டவன்.

You have rightly pointed out the joys of the riverside drive through kuruvithurai. We went there last year. It was a pleasant journey. Though no water was there and the kids played in river sand instead, we all enjoyed the trip.
    On Gurupeyarchi days the whole of Madurai will be there in the temple.
    Agreed Chitra, Madurai and Vaigai are a class of their own. But I hasten to add that this is subjective. Those who have lived in Chennai will have the same nostalgic memories about Gandhi Mandapam and the beach; Trichy people would go crazy about Cauvery and Srirangam. Not to speak about Europeans who have their Danubes and Niles, or the Americans, who have their Miamis and Long Islands and Liberty Statues.

At times I wonder if a rank outsider to Madurai walks on the banks of river Vaigai will he find the walk so romantic? Let's test this ILites. Those of you who have not visited Madurai earlier are most welcome to try this theory.

Thanks Chitra for joining me in the walk and making this thread more memorable.
    regards,
    sridhar

3. varalotti

Had a Nice Walk, Seena?

Nice to have your company in the walk along the banks of the famed river Vaigai. As you say that Madurai is luck to have some children like me and Chitra, so I say, Seena, your native place is lucky to have a child like you. All of us are born with a sacred and indissoluble attachment towards that country and that place whence we derived our birth and infant nurture. We make our place proud when we reciprocate that attachment. Which I am sure you do.

This Madurai is not related to Srikrishna. That is Mathura and is near Delhi. That is the janmabhoomi of Sri Krishna. Though the names look similar there is a phonetic difference. That is normally pronounced as Mathura and our place is Madurai. The soft d or the third tha in hindi.

regards,
    sridhar

4. varalotti

I am happy that you liked the post!

Dear Preethi,

When you like a post of mine I feel as happy as if my daughter likes it. I think the name is the reason.

There are many people who live around the river. For them water is not a problem. The dig a borewell for some 20 feet and they get good water. But the problem is their houses are not safe.

While on this let me use this reply to describe a day where Vaigai will be flooded not with water but with people. That is on the Chitra Pournami day when lord Azhagar mounted on a golden horse descends the river to go to the other bank to attend His sister Meenakshi's wedding. The day Azhagar gets into the river is the highlight of the festival. Normally the Lord gets in around 6 am. The entire place will be crowded the whole night. Many years back I have been to see that event. Standing in the Albert Victor bridge ( several thousands will be there on the bridge) we will have to look down on the river. Lord Kallazhagar would appear as a small golden dot from the distance. And everywhere you will be seeing people - all colours, shapes and sizes, rural, urban, semi-urban, ladies clad in village type sarees, rural folk dressed in specially made silk clothes carrying a water dispenser and will be pouring water over the other people through a small nozzle.

Since that would be during summer there would be virtually no water in Vaigai.
    A mandakapaddi will be constructed right into the river where the Swami will get down.
    Story has it that Lord Kallazhagar goes with all "cheer, chenathi" to marry off his sister to Lord Sundareswarar. But before he goes the marriage ceremony is over. He gets to know that through his friend Veeraraghava Perumal who meets him on the way.
    The brother offended, returns to his place Azhagarkoil which is about 15 kms from Madurai.

You kindled my malarum ninaivugal again.
    regards,
    sridhar

5. varalotti

Your description was poetic, Pallavi

Hi Pallavi,
    Your description of my post was really poetic. I read it several times and enjoyed it.

Life, Pallavi,is a bundle of contradictions. And the teacher who taught me Shakespeare and who was an avid fan of the Bard used to say about life,
    Life is not a Midsummer Nights Dream,
    Nor it is a Tempest
    But It is a comedy of errors
    Which you can enjoy As You like it.
    And great phenomena in nature, be it a river, or a forest or a mountain mimicks life. And art, be it painting or writing has also to mimic life if it has to be interesting.
    Thanks Pallavi for the reply. If my memory serves me right, you are writing in my thread for the first time. All the best; may you write more and more.
    And welcome to Madurai
    regards,
    sridhar

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    You took us on a heritage walk this time too. It was lovely to read about Vaigai. When I was around 5, we had visited the Vaigai Dam. It had such beautiful garden then, with so many statues. I even had some photos taken there, but sadly they were all destroyed in the flood which happened in Trivandrum.
    You are making every one nostalgic about their natives. I am a lover of waterbody in any form, I must have been a mermaid in my previous janma. I lived on the banks of the river Karamana in Trivandrum and seeing the river in full during mansoon and bathing even at that time are experiences which cannot be forgotten. And Killiyar (Vidya mentioned it) always comes over the bridge during rainy season. I even had the expereince of our area flooding - there was water upto 5 feet inside the house. We all were rescued by boat in the evening from the errace of a neighbour's house and had to live outside for many days for the water to receed and houses were cleaned. That was an experience. It will run to pages if I start to tell you.
    I hope Vaigai continues to have water in the future.

7. varalotti

You have a point, Varloo!

Dear Varloo,

Every one will have to be nostalgic about their native place - either the place they were born, or the place they grew up or some place in the world to which they feel a special attachment.

I have seen Indians (at times within my close relatives) who being born in India have found an unquenchable love to some foreign country and have gone there to live their dream lives. They are very happy there. The attachment to a particular place may be carried over several births.

Your experience in floods made an interesting reading. Why don't you think of posting a thread on waterbodies you love. Being a mermaid in your previous birth makes you exceptionally qualified to start such a thread.
    regards,
    sridhar

8. varalotti

Time For Some Action,Ladies!

Most Gracious Ladies,

After the refreshing walk along the Vaigai river its high time we get back to business. We are still in the comparison issue and this Wednesday, we have a full short story of mine on this subject.

I would be grateful to have your presence there in the thread and still more grateful to have your comments on it.

Regards,
    Varalotti

9. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    in my hurry, I forgot express my grief and sorrow at the incident of the lady who preferred to die rather that let her body be exposed. When I told my husband about this, he too said he remembered that incident. What can I say, except salute her noble thought?
    Now I was just wondering about the present day film and tv actresses, who do the opposite to amass wealth. They even attend public functions in the shortest and tightest of dresses. I wonder where this showing off skin will end.

10. varalotti

No need to hurry! You cannot be late in these things!

Dear Varloo,
    Our culture boasts of a strong value system which the Western influence is trying to break. I am very happy to have this story confirmed by your husband. I just wrote that from my memory. Certain things you cant forget.

I remember reading a powerful short story in kumudam some 20 years back. A young college going girl refuses to go to college because the new blouse she got for ther birthday was not fashionable enough. It did not expose her back enough. So she tells her mother, her friends might tease her if she goes with the old fashioned fully covered blouse.

Next the scene shifts to a slum nearby. Where a girl of the same age working as a construction labourer refuses to go to work because her blouse is slightly torn. She says that she would rather prefer to starve than expose herself.

And now not only among the actresses but also among the other women there is a competition to show more. You need not believe my words. Just go to Commercial Street, Brigades, MG Road in Bangalore for 15 minutes. If some moviemaker shoots the street scene it is likely to be cut down by the central board of film certification as obscene.
    regrds,
    sridhar