1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Not so friendly BIL and Co sis visting, what shud i do!!?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Weasly, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Hello dear ladies,

wanted ur opinion n advice on something!

ok my younger bil n co sis wud be coming to my place to celebrate my dh's birthday.

I am not in talking terms with my fil n mil cz of their bad behaviour and repeated harrasment. Though i did wish my mil on her birthday n spoke two lines to fil as well over the phn. However i have never communicated this fact to bil or co sis ever that i am not in talking terms with them. Both the brothers are not that close, just a hi hello kind of relationship. I wud say my husband cares more for his brother than his brother does. They dont talk that much, his was a love marriage that the inlaws were totally against but my dh supported his brother, tried to mediate the whole thing. He infact also was a witness to their court marriage that they did in US without telling my inlaws, co sis's parents knew abt it. My inlaws still dont knw abt it, if they knew. My god the drama that will follow!! However after our marriage when my husband needed his support before mil n fil regarding our relationship, he did not stand up for my husband! Infact he is kind of competitive and wants to always prove that his marriage is more successfull than ours, petty things really, wants to earn brownie points (as my husband calls it) with mil and fil every chance he gets by showing or telling our things to the inlaws. However my husband never ever tells the inlaws anything abt their activities. He maintains that he doesnt know, while they do not really do so. On the face the relationship is cordial with them, just like distant relatives are, we talk every week on phn, more like formality, the call lasts for like 10 minutes n brothers talk for 2 minutes!

my co sis, she is 6 yrs elder to me, 2 years elder to my husband, m just telling her age, cz she is suppose to be more mature than me, or i dont know, maybe age has nothing to do with maturity. She is the sweetest person on the earth on ur face, while she can be very manipulative!! She can be so sweet that when u realise what she has done ull never belive that she is capable of something like that!! Anyways i have no issues with the two of them, i try n be cordial. I feel if someone can manipulate me then its my problem not theirs, cz i let my guard dwn! Even my husband tells me, that i cant hide my emotions and if i feel something is not right i have a habit of just blabbing it out! He tells me i shud not be like i am on a mission to rite all wrongs!! I have cooled dwn a lot, n m trying to change!!

Now evertime when we go to our bil's place or they come, we tend to skype with the inlaws back home! Even this tym i think they wud try doung skype, what shud i do when they skype?! Sit in the call? Be busy in the kitchen?! If my co sis asks shud i at all tell her y m maintaining a distance from my inlaws!! I knw if i tell they wud try n use it against us!! What shud i tell y m not in taking terms!!

my co sis also faced a lot of problem with my inlaws before n after marriage but sonehow she just dsnt care, she will still talk to them, do all kind of buttering, will listen things against her parents. Shes just too thick skinned! I admire this quality of hers though!! But i cant do that!!

Please advice what shud i do!?

2. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

How long is their stay? Play along in the skype call and get it over with.

1 person likes this.
  3. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Just be busy in the kitchen. No need to tell your co-sister anything about your cold relationship with your in-laws. It always back-fires.
    If BIL or co-sis insist that you participate in the phone call, then just participate in it for a couple of minutes and excuse yourself on the pretext of kitchen work or some official phone call.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

repeat the 2 lines this time too. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

It's your home. There will be 100 things to do. Keep yourself busy. Or go in to read a book. Don't go into details. Just insist everything is fine. Encourage them to talk.

1 person likes this.
  6. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

If co-sis asks if there is a problem, say "what problem?!"

3 people like this.
  7. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

2 days, we also visit fr two days , they also visit for 2 days!!

8. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

recall the madness this forum is going through now, :rotflyou will be smiling all 2 days.

2 people like this.
  9. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Yes the madness in the forum will definitely keep me upbeat!!
    How i thank god that i found u wonderful ladies to interact with!! Bless u all!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Radhai

Radhai Platinum IL'ite

Thankqued laugh1smiley

Word Courtesy: Aria

1 person likes this.