1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

not increasing weight

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by visala, Aug 13, 2011.

1. visala

visala Senior IL'ite

hai friends,
    my son 19months old.he is not taking rice to eat .he eats chappatis os some snacks.his weight is only 8kgs.my mil says that he is under weight.but he is very very active but he is loking just like skeleton covered with some skin.i am tottally worried about him.he is drinking daily one glass of milk mixed with boost.he donot like pediasure. i am thinking that to take him to senior doctor for enquiring about his health.do u moms have same problem.plz give me information about LOTUS hospital which is located at lakdikapool(whom do i need to meet)

2. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I cannot say on your choice of doctor but I think it is a good idea to have him checked out. Do you feed him any protein? Protein is very important so please try to get him to eat paneer, cheese, egg, meat or fish if you are non-veg family, butter, ghee, full fat milk. Do not worry about fat content at his age as he needs the fats for development. You can make egg custard for him (recipe posted on another thread of this topic). You can make a cheese sauce for boiled/steamed cauliflower....kids love that. Add jams and butter to bread as desired.

3. visala

visala Senior IL'ite

i am trying to give him paneer,egg, fish but he is not eating.but he likes potatoes i am thinking of giving him potato daily.

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Well if he like potatoes then you can do a mashed boiled potato adding butter, maybe some cream, and melt cheese on top. Or you can bake thin potato slices in white sauce (scalloped potatoes). You can microwave a whole potato and put in cheese sauce and cooked brocolli or cauliflower. The potato is not a protein item...it is a carb item so it will give him calories which he needs but it won't give him protein. Adding the other stuff is a way to get some protein and extra calories. I am just wondering what exactly he is not liking about the protein items....could he be someone very sensitive to spice or a particular spice? I know when I was a small child I hated (absolutely hated) onion although now I love them. Maybe you could systematically leave out all spice and strong ingredients and slowly add them back in case you can pinpoint what he is not liking.

5. visala

visala Senior IL'ite

thanks for the reply,
    he likes potato a lot.he also likes scrubble egg in which i will add masala otherwise he will not eat.he only eates chutneys i.e;coriander tomato or bittergaurd or beetroot chutneys.and he likes biryanis or different rices which need to be added masalas. he don't likes veggies and non veg also.so everyday i can't make chutneys or biryanis.and he also likes manchurias or bajjis all deep fries.i don't like to give him deep fries.i wish if he eats some vegetable curries also.

6. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Hi Visala,
    Get him checked with your doctor ..kids have lowered appetite if there is iron deficiency...
    Other than that, there is nothing much to bother if he is active and playing well..
    As others say,feed him protein rich foods, atleast 2 glasses of milk a day, cheese, paneer..
    Check with your doctor for any health supplements...

7. swapna15

swapna15 Senior IL'ite

Dear friend, what i think is first you should take care of his loose motions. Get him examined by a dr and see what he has to say about it. Once his stomoch is ok then make sure that he is having healthy nourishing food, as tashi rightly said give him protein rich diet, pls pls do not give him fried stuff at all.Search for healthy recipies for toddlers. you will find some really good recipies for your son in this website itself. If he is a fussy eater then give him small portions frequently. Hope this helps.

8. nithyamahesh

nithyamahesh New IL'ite

hai visala,
    Even my daughter lakshana is very low in weight. she is 20 months old and weighs 8.5 kg. There is no need to worry about weight since your boy is active. you can try rice kheer or rice - fried gram porridge. Try adding almond - cashew powder( equal quantities blended to coarse powder at home) to his chapatis or snacks. they will definitely raise nutritive value. one way to make your son eat better is, share food from your plate whenever you eat. my daughter run away when i bring food in a bowl with spoon, but if the same food is brought in a plate she tends to sit down and eat.