1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

not happy with arrangement in home :( :(

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Varshap21, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Varshap21

Varshap21 Bronze IL'ite

Hi all....

After long time am again here to seek some relief and peace of mind..

1. My SIL had renovated her house.. transferred all old furniture to our place.. MIL wanted those grate things... include dining chairs. Sofa set. Godrej cupboard, 2 wooden cupboards.
    We already have more than enough furniture at home.. still old waste is here occupying most of the place in hall.. arranged in random manner

Though I am leaving here from last five years.. taking good care of household work.. cleaning.. but my choice is no priority

Not able to look at all those old things.. why can't I decorate my home in my own way.. how can she take me granted..
    There is no any point in bringing that furniture at home

I want to know everyone my feelings loudly ... how can I

1 person likes this.

2. bluebanana

bluebanana Bronze IL'ite

It is difficult for dil to live in her own way if she is living with her ILs and her husband is a momma's boy. From ILs perspective, mil is the leading lady in the house (off course only for making decisions not for doing household chores :p) and holds the exclusive rights for making decisions in home. They will never understand if you go to them directly and express your desire. Infect, it will hurt their ego. I have seen in some cases mil/ fil understands dil's point of view if their son approaches them and explains things in his own way. So, go to your husband and try to explain your desire to him in a polite way.

2 people like this.
  3. Iamagoodgirl

Iamagoodgirl Platinum IL'ite

haha i feel ya.I am trying to take more prominent role in my house too.Its annoying we cant decorate house our own way.

1 person likes this.
  4. Varshap21

Varshap21 Bronze IL'ite

What's the use of living in such way.. ehts use of our k education.. we are earning good but still no satisfaction... what about the dreams we have

whaatsmiley

5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Show them the ad for OLX .com

Did you try raising the issue with anyone?Ask MIL...."So what are we doing with the furniture...are we selling it ...or donating to an old age home?"

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    2 people like this.
  6. bluebanana

bluebanana Bronze IL'ite

Even I feel the same way dear. What is the use of our higher education?? After being so much loved and pampered by are parents, are we meant to serve our dh's family like maids? Don't we have our own views and desires? I am newly married and still struggling for the answers. I think this is how it goes in indian society.

7. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

HI OP,

If the house belongs to your PILs, your MIL will have some say in deciding things. There is no escaping that until you set up a separate house. Still, if there is excess furniture, bring up the topic via your DH and decide what could be kept and what could be disposed of.

8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

It took my sister ONLY 10 years:roll: for her MIL to agree to use placemats on the table when eating, and use a bed spread over the bed in the room. But till till the day she died, she refused to put a bed spread on her own bed...my sis couldn't care less. Said no worries as long as she doesn't bother about what is in my room.

9. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

I totally understand your plight but allow me to recommend that maybe theres a way you can make lemonade out of your lemons.

I am always envious of the artistry and craftsmanship that folks have access to in India. Here, people are encouraged to scour through thrift shops and antique shops to find old furniture that they can customize themselves.

So with that in mind, is there a way for you to get your old furniture re-upholstered or polished so it looks closer to what you want and gives you a choice in how to decorate it without getting rid of the sentimental value attached to it? You'd be surprised at the difference it can make if you have it restored as per your taste.

I would guide you to seek designerly shows such as Design on Dime, Color Splash, Small Space Big Style. There's also tons of websites that can be great inspiration. At least, personally have inspired me to create a space my DH and I love without compromising on our budget or space...

Check out Pinterest for restored furniture:
    Pinterest

Apartment Therapy:
    Apartment Therapy | Saving the world, one room at a time
    30 Ways To Repair, Restore, Or Redo Any Piece Of Furniture | Apartment Therapy
    Do it Yourself Furniture Repair, Refinishing, & Restoration Ideas

I'm also a huge believer of being resourceful and "Asking for forgiveness, not permission" :) Depending on what your furniture pieces are, you'd be surprised at what a little color, polish, hardware, lighting and wallpaper/veneer can do. If you need help getting ideas, you're welcome to PM me pictures of your furniture and I'll send over some ideas/resources that might help you.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this.
  10. Varshap21

Varshap21 Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    Thanks hasate raho for your suggestions... its really good idea...

But this can not me applied me my case dear... won't be able to put that much time

N again for this also I will need high command approval