1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Normally at what age kids should learn modesty?

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by pruthvee, Nov 12, 2011.

1. pruthvee

pruthvee Senior IL'ite

You must have seen kids running around naked or not feeling embarrassed to remove or change clothes infront of others or coming out undressed or just in panty from shower. Well they are just innocent kids and I think its also cute and not offensive or unusual to anyone. But normally at what age kids really start feeling that its private and I should not show my body to parents or others? Actually the reason I am asking this is because I have sister who have 2 daughters. The older is 9 year old and younger is 6. When I went to my sister's home, I saw that my nieces were taking bath in shower and they came out like that only & then dry & dressed themselves after coming out. I & my husband was sitting there and their father (my BIL) was there but the girls weren't embarrassed of their father or my h. Infact the little angels became excited on seeing us and started laughing. We didn't felt anything weird or offensive but just it was itching in my mind that the younger is just 6 but I felt its weird for the older niece (9). Then this Diwali we all from our mom's side of family went out of station. My nieces wanted to go bathroom so car stopped in middle of road, my sister made them sit just near the car, I can understand it was night time and maybe she was scared going too far on side of road but there were gents in car and its not like anyone was like predator or looking but ain't it is sister's duty to make her girls learn a bit modesty. Then during sight seeing my older niece got hurt on her butt so my sister removed her underwear there itself and seeing where she got hurt. I pointed out this to her but she said that comeon they are just kids & all kids are like that till 10 and maybe you don't remember but we too weren't feeling any shame till 10-11. As far as I remember it wasn't later than 6. Btw I am recently married and shortly planning kids. Presently I am fond of reading parenting books so that it help to raise my own children appropriately in future. Maybe I offended my sister, but the reason I am posting this question because what I noticed about my niece was I found inappropriate and also I am just curious to know about it so that I do not make mistake for my own kids in future.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    Nice thread. I also want to know about this issue. My DD is 5.5 years. I teach her that you should not leave the bathroom without panties or jetty.
    Here in US keeping the kids naked is an offense,unlike in India. At some party or gathering she used to scratch her butt by putting the fingers inside her underwear. I used to advice her that it was not nice. I don`t know whether she understands or not. May be some other ILs can throw some light!

3. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Hi,
    I'm still trying to digest your post.

There is a difference between modesty/shame and not being ashamed of your body. What you describe is actually very unsafe especially at their age...and if the parents are unaware of this it is extremely strange. You don't have to read parenting books to know why.

sindmani and SallyR like this.
  4. pruthvee

pruthvee Senior IL'ite

I don't say I am finding this in parenting books. I just mentioned in general that now that I am planning a kid I read some parenting books and not in the pretext of question I asked. I also don't say one should feel shame about their body. Kids shouldn't feel shame about their body or have difficulty in accepting their body. When I used the word shame or embarrassment I didn't mean feeling ashamed of one's body but I meant feeling aware about their own body and feeling uncomfortable changing or being undressed infront of others or parents/siblings/others of opposite sex (esp. girls). I know that if kids are made to feel shame about nudity then their focus & curiosity might increase on private parts. But here my question is that normally at what age kids learn modesty & feel on their own that its private and feel uncomfortable to change in front of others & also whether my sister is right or wrong or am I wrong to think like that? I don't think my sis or bil are dumb but maybe this is their way of thinking that they are just kids and maybe they being a parents don't feel anything weird about it. But I personally felt its weird esp. for a 9 year old girl infront of her father and I think its my sister's duty to make them learn modesty now that they are growing.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  5. justlife

justlife Silver IL'ite

As a mother of 2 teenagers, I have seen that my kids became modest only when they reached tweens. mostly around 10-11 years of age. Before that they both used come out naked of the shower, or they would barge into the bathroom when I am taking a shower. I have 2 boys. When they were around 9-10 years old I had started telling them to knock before they come into my bathroom. I think that also helped in a way, so they atleast understand that they are not supposed bathe in front of others.

Also they both used to shower together often until my older one was about 12, after that he stopped and wants to shower by himself. So I think when they are just about hitting puberty thats when the kids start becoming aware of their bodies and understand modesty.

I also feel however that you have to talk to kids in a very gentle way about these things, not just walking naked in the front of others, but also being aware if someone is taking advantage of them. Be it a girl or a boy, they need to be taught what is right and wrong, and what to do when they find themselves in situations like these.

6. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

The assumption is not that your relatives are dumb but it is an instinctual response in most parents to know why children must be made of aware of the boundaries.

Safety is the main concern-parents must teach children (explicitly) about privacy. Otherwise children will unknowingly put themselves in situations where predators may take advantage of them...it doesn't matter if it is in front of family members or friends.

sindmani likes this.
  7. lalaja

lalaja New IL'ite

I have read a research paper that mentions that parents have to be very careful with regards to modesty after age 8 for girls and 10 for boys no changing clothes in front of them no unneccasary exposer to private parts for some sensitive kids who dont have awareness will have lost lasting impact and it also mentions that some over exposure will lead to exhibiotionist qualities in future(what to show their naked body to others)

8. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

I think even the 6 year old should be taught right away :) but it is all personal perceptions too :)

9. hsusheela

hsusheela New IL'ite

I feel we actually start teaching a child from day one. It is not just a question of modesty alone, it is more a question of safety. We come across cases of child abuse every other day.There is an age old saying that "a girl child should not be left alone even with fathers." Sorry I don't mean to be offensive but in most child abuse cases the culprits are near and dear ones.