1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

None\selected\delayed Vaccination - Pl Share Experiences

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by matrix15, Aug 7, 2016.

1. matrix15

matrix15 New IL'ite

Hi Meetu,

Sorry, just one correction - His due shots are HIB, HeP, DTaP, MMR, PVC and chickenpox
    Thanks

2. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Hey no need for thanks! :) we are all here to help each other...

I think you should give him Hib definitely. Hib protects from disease that are spread through air and highly infectious..PCV is also needed. Please do tell me for Hib and PCV what dose it is..is it third or fourth dose?

If you are not worried about copay(though i know for vaccines there is no copay, its just a nurse visit), you can:

- give Hib, PCV in the next doctor appointment
    - wait 2 weeks
    -give MMR (nurse visit, no need for copay i think i am not sure)
    -wait 4 to 6 weeks
    - give varicella
    - wait 4 to 6 weeks
    - give the Hep series (or start it, if you are in USA his first hep B shot should have been given when he was born before releasing you guys from hospital)

Bests,
    Meetu

3. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Hi Meetu

I am seeing your message after writing my previous reply.

Give him DTAP one appt. If you want to give him Hib, and PVC alongwith it (is it 3 or 4th dose), you can else break it into 2 appointments:

- Hib, PCV in your next appt (Both are very necessary, plz tell me which dose it is)
    - wait 2 weeks
    - DTAP next appt
    - wait 2 to 3 weeks.
    then proceed with MMR step in my previous reply.

Also, you wrote Hep, its not just Hep dear...its Hep A, Hep B etc... mostly it could be Hep B..Hep B series should be completed ( 3 doses with each a gap of 2 months), Next Hep A should be given..Hep B stays in body, so completing that is important but be aware it also spread rarely in babies...from mother to baby or through sexual contact or salivary ..so if you are going to India, make sure your son doesn't eat jhootha food from strangers (or known people whose Hep B status is not known)...

Hep A spreads from contaminated food and water..it should be given also after the above series is completed or after one HepB dose, wait for 3 weeks and give Hep A ..wait for 2 weeks (that the time needed to develop antibodies for the protection effect) and then go to India

when is your next doc appt?

Best
    Meetu

4. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

My son like yours also didnt get any fevers with most of the vaccines etc..he did get a swollen thigh from the fourth dose of DTAP...for me it was important to give these vaccines one at a time..he did get fever after MMR, but otherwise he was fine...since fever after MMR happens around one week after the vaccine is given, I wanted to give him one month break with no sickness (like cold cough fever etc due to general viral illnesses) to recover from vaccine and develop antibodies before moving on to next vaccine... I had a gap of 8 weeks between MMR and varicella, with no vaccine in between...because he got sick with some other viral fever a month after MMR, so I waited for one more month to give varicella.

Hope it helps,
    Do write if you have more Qs

Regards
    Meetu

5. matrix15

matrix15 New IL'ite

Hi Meetu,

This information is really helpful. Sorry for again posting lengthy response, but hopefully my last set of questions

1. Now my son is 14 months and these are 12 months shots for which he is over due. Recommended time frame is 12-15 months. But it has been studied that more you delay after 12 months, your chances of side effects like seizures increase. So what you suggest- should we definitely put gap between MMR and chickenpox ?. In India seems like chickenpox is optional

2. I also believe all vaccines are needed but I am still not sure about MMR based on my gut feeling & research. Again no one in our family took MMR vaccine when we were young & I never heard anyone got severe symptoms\complications. My only thought is even if there is a risk of measles complications like pneumonia or brain inflammation but still are these complications treatable or it depends ?

3. His Hep B is upto date and he is due for Hep A ( first dose). Rest he had shots at 2, 4 and 6 months so Hib\PCV might be fourth dose. If it is very much needed I can check exact

Thanks

6. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Hi there!

- I would suggest keeping a gap between 2 live vaccines but final decision has to be yours.. :) you know there is a small risk of contracting diseases in outbreaks..its a matter of benefits outweighing risks..if you are in high prone area, your kid is being exposed to lots of people and crowd, the risk increases...
    -I am completely in favor of giving MMR..just delay it if you are concerned regarding autism but do not make a decision of NOT giving it at all.. most of my friends delayed it until age 2 or 3, we gave at 20 months we were travelling to India in a month..we could have delayed it till 24 mo...
    -I just wanted to know the Hib/PCV dose..if you gave at 2, 4,6 mo then you are right it must be 4th...which is good....you can prioritize based on risk..see measles spreads through air..but how many measles outbreaks happen around us? Hep A spreads through contaminated food and water.. how is your kid going to get exposed to it ? Hib/PCV without fail are needed to be completed soon, they spread through air and its common germ in daycares/ hospitals etc...and if your kid is exposed to unvaccinated kids who go to daycare.... think along these lines and prioritize...and take your own final decision....I think you are doing a great job on vaccines..you have given all on time ..you are just concerned like any normal parent would be regarding MMR esp in boys..:)

Regards
    Meetu

7. matrix15

matrix15 New IL'ite

Hi Meetu,

Not sure about dose but I checked. He had 3 times Hib and PCV
    Probably let us give him DTap, HiB, PCV, Hep A and (MMR or Chickenpox) and then one more visit after 4 weeks to give remaining MMR or chickenpox. Does it sound good or it is still a bit more in one visit ?

Were you also concerned about MMR and thats the reason you delayed it until 20 months ?. Was your concern based on any risk factor that you though baby had or you encountered other indian people who delayed it ?

Sorry, if I am asking too much. By the way I am in Bay Area, CA and lets stay in touch !

Thanks

8. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

Hi! I stay in Atlanta, GA :),

I think in my opinion you are giving a lot to him.... you may split it into- like DTAP is 3 in one vaccine and its biggie at 4th dose (my son got swelling/bump at his DTap injection spot that lasted one week, we gave him with Hib and PCV.. on one thigh, nurse gave him Hib and PCV, on another Dtap)- I think you may give DTAP, Hib and PCV in one appnt and Hep A + MMR in next...then chickenpox later.. If I were you, I would not give any other vaccine on MMR day....so try delay Hep A at least a little later.. again you need to be final decision maker..I am just telling my opinions, you should not get influenced by my personal viewpoints and opinions....

I was concerned about MMR and its relation with autism and that's the reason I delayed it, I wanted to delay it further to 24 months but DH wanted to give it before India trip....I knew it was something big but my thoughts were further fueled by some indian friend whose close aquaintance had autism..and their parents thought it was this vaccine...at that time, I consulted my college friend who lives in another country, her son has autism, she said all kids in her in-laws family (they are 8 brothers, so all their kids) were given MMR at 12 months, only 2 got autism..and she says her son totally regressed after this shot overnight..still she herself said that she gave same vaccine to her daughter and all other boys in the khandaan got it , nothing happened to anybody else...her view was to take this as unbiased opinion.. Again, everybody in our family have gotten vaccines as recommended so this was something unusual for my parents when they came to know that I am giving MMR little later...I am pro-vaccine , pro-giving MMR.. but delayed it .....be aware it takes 3 weeks for antibodies to develop for protection, its not that they got injection today and they are protected right away.... Plz pardon me if you already knew about it..I just mentioned to you just in case you plan your india trip right after you give MMR....

No need for sorry thanks etc....we can be friends here on this board virtually at least :)

take care
    good luck!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  9. matrix15

matrix15 New IL'ite

Hi Meetu,

Thanks. I will go by your suggestions on all vaccines.
    So your college friend and the other person - are they indian ?. So 3 cases that you know is still significant I think, seeing the disease totally cripples you. I know there is a theory saying it is a coincidence that time of the illness to surface up is also between 1-2 yrs & so it coincides with vaccine timing. But again since they did get within hrs of getting specifically MMR, high chances are MMR triggered it ( though they might had risk factors present like gene mutation etc). And these are real people who you know.

I do surely want to delay MMR now but we have a trip starting Oct ( will try but less likely we can postpone the trip). He will be more exposed to measles etc in India but not sure if there are different strains of the same virus- I mean less powerful and more power strains.

What was your thought of not totally skipping MMR ?. No one in my family received this vaccine when we were young & we all got measles\chickenpox. I never heard in India about fatalities because of measles, mumps etc.

Thanks

10. Meet9

Meet9 Silver IL'ite

I agree on your viewpoints,
    yes, 2 cases in Indians, one my friend and one my DH'S friend's close aquaintance,

Are you breastfeeding your son? I forgot to tell you I went to India before as well when my son was 9 months, we did not give him MMR or measles vaccine then... just the 2,4, 6 mo shots but he was breastfeeding a lot then , He did not get anything major other than common cold and cough, we went to lots of crowded temples etc, I breastfed him until 22 months ...so please keep this in mind that due to my feeds he was getting immunity and we were able to postpone this long, for our peace of mind [this natural breastfeeding immunity effect wanes off as the child becomes older, so prolly around 20 months, my feeds were not a lot beneficial in terms of antibodies]

I dont agree with totally skipping because I could not convince myself of it...vaccines are scientifically proven to be protective of diseases.. I delayed as much as I could...whatever theories are there floating around on internet, gives you lots of superstitions which are not based entirely on science....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016