1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No need to feel shy of contagious yawning!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Sep 13, 2007.

1. manjumnair

manjumnair Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I too yawn in between typing something or even reading... My Yawn becomes problematic when I recite Sthothrams during Pooja in the evening... My husband is very irritated about my yawning which makes him and our little daughter also do the same...

Even I had been caught for yawning in the classroom by one of my teachers in my Plus 2 class.... Felt very embarrassed at that time, :oops:standing when all the class is looking at me and the teacher shouting at me asking "Didn't you sleep yesterday night"? The truth was that the lecture was so boring that I couldn't help....:mrgreen:

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    This is indeed novel. I mean the way your hubby gives expression to his irritation by following your yawn! It is more effective than scolding or criticising you!

The punitive measure of your erstwhile teacher, on the contrary, was on the basis of a mistaken belief that standing would reduce or banish yawning. I am afraid that she was not well informed. Standing posture actually increases yawning because you feel more tired standing! She was actually taking greater risk asking you to stand because while you were sitting , your yawning would have been noticed by only a few sitting around you. But in a standing position, if you had yawned , the whole class would have noticed it and the contagious yawning would have caught your teacher too besides all the students!
    Sri

3. abhatv

abhatv Senior IL'ite

Hello Cheeniya sir,

Really I too don't know why, but the moment I started reading your post I started yawning. Can it be what the psychology people call as auto-suggestion ? It must be the word-suggestion. And as Sudha wrote even I wonder whether it is contagious through net? As of now, what is the count for and against? I did read the Chithra Squared"ujar".

And trust our Sunkan to bring out the scientific facts. Thank you.

Regards,

Abha.

4. Cheeniya

Dear abhatv
    Now this is getting very serious. While I can pass of a claim of few as a mere fancy, I now find more and more people claiming that they yawned the moment they started reading my post! Now you bring in a new theory of auto-suggestion but why would anyone suggest to himself that he would soon be yawning?
    There must be something in the reasoning of our bright star, Sudha that yawning could spread through the net too. In fact, I did yawn when I saw some yawning pictures forwarded to me by Shanvy.
    Are we on a breakthrough of a new scientific discovery? I'm really excited!
    Sri

5. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,
    Another theory....( result of listening to Deepak Chopra,)

Since we are all connected in this UNiverse...you know Soul and all.....we are all a part of One another etc etc....so i guess since all of us are bonded through our thoughts and feelings....these things like yawning( which is why they cant be proved i guess, ) catch up with one another. But honestly whenever i read the replies on Yawning, i did get the urge to Yawn.....and Yes it is difficult to type with one finger with a big yawn...i just expeienced that!....ha ha.....

Aren't we all making a Boring , i mean a yawning topic into something as psychological and spiritual etc etc!:mrgreen:

6. Cheeniya

Dear Sudha
    Aided by Dr.Deepak Chpra, you have come out with some pluasible explanation for contagious yawning which incidentally induced a yawn in me!
    What you say must be true, I mean about this connectivity of souls et al. Otherwise, how can you explain contagious yawning between two people with a yawning gap?!
    Sri

7. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sudha,
    I am an ardent fan of Deepak Chopra !
    But I wonder, how you co relate the connectivity of souls with yawning !
    Well, yawning has suddenly "emerged" into an interesting topic - in our interest to read all the posts in his thread without missing, yawning takes a back-seat !
    I wonder whether Sri himself would have dreamt that "yawning" will be a winner post, drawing so many F Bs !
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear sri,
    i like all ur articles because they are down to earth and not a serious one, but here in yawning i notice each one coming up with different versions felt the depriviation of oxygen should also be seen here, so that people can take care immediately...sunkan

9. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya,

Nice topic and as usual excellent write-up by you on imitating, mimicry and yawning. Imitating cine actors was a very common pastime among us when we were in school. When M.G.R's Nadodi Mannan came many of us including me used to take the two fingers to the nose and do exactly like M.G.R was doing in that movie. M.G.R used to wear shirts with very short sleeves and we all followed suit. Similarly, hair-styles of Dev Ananad, Rajesh Khanna and Amitab Bachan are imitated by many.

Mimicry is becoming very popular with the program 'Asathapovathu Yaaru'. One person called Kovai Guna can not only speak in any actor's voice, his body language also mimicried.

Yawning and contagious yawning we used to do in our classes when the lecturer used to be boring. I still wonder whether yawning is a symptom of getting sleep or coming out of sleep since I am getting yawns both times. Even animals do yawning.

On the lighter side, here is the definition of yawn:

Yawn : The only time some married men ever get to open their mouth.

Regards,

TDU

10. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    You are very right. I certainly did not expect such lively debate on a dull subject! In fact, some of my best posts(according to me) have gone literally unnoticed in my forum! It is very difficult to judge which are the subjects that really appeal to people. I'm still in the learning process!
    Sri