No message for World Chess Champion - I am really disappointed!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Shanvy, Oct 17, 2007.

1. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

HI VMUR,

Thanks a ton for the link...

Congrats once again..hope your dream of winning a olympic for india come true....

3. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Hi Shanthi,
    That was nice of you to start yet another good thread .....yeah true Chess has been in the background, more so i feel because every has taken Vishy for granted! I guess somehow everyone feels he will keep rising....and it is not exciting or surprising anymore. but it is going to be great task for hime to stay there now.

I had the good luck to meet him when he was here....he comes every year here and wins also: We have a well wisher who always encourages Vishy and Aruna and hosts a party ....and i happened to be there 3 times...and we welcomed him with the traditional aarthi etc. And was he glad to speak to us in tamil and catching up with happenings in Tamilnadu....He lives in Spain most of the time, and Aruna was discussing abt Sun tv etc there. For all his achievements, he is such a simple person and talked very well to everyone. My daughter was shivering to sit with him since she does not play Chess and would run half a mile. She preferred sitting with his wife and talking about dance.:wink:

But did not the HOCKEY team also win in Chennai. recently...thats what i heard here!
    Lets keep sharing all the sporty achievements and keep this thread live!

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Hi sudha,

Thanks for stepping in. yes we all take him for granted....because winning is a habit...not like others who win one and lose few..you know who..:biggrin2:. And nice to know that you have met them...

chess is a very popular game in chennai. more classes/coaching plus informal competitions are on the raise. i know a nri friend who pays Rs.200 per strategy.. analysis for a game played by her son......

BTW the hockey win was also discussed.(may in another thread)..stating it would have gone unnoticed if not for the authorities dancing on the ground and also post "CHAK DE" phenomena....:tongue.

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

For all those who are wondering who are the women who have made a mark in chess....I am referring to the times article..where Anand remarks on the women chess players....

Ms Vaishali Sawarkar, who represented India in the World Open Chess Championship for blind women in Greece and was ranked 8th in the International Marathon race

Tania Sachdev the new asian women chess champion 2007.

Three cheers to these ladies....they are just the tip of the iceberg.....

Women Grand Masters from India. : D.Harika S. Vijayalaxmi, Nisha Mohota,Tania Sachdev, S. Meenakshi, Eesha Karawade , Swati Ghate ,Arti Ramesh