1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

No jobs during my youth and vice-versa

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by happywoman, Apr 27, 2008.

1. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Hello friends,

This is in ref to the mushrooming BPO jobs in recent times and i see many youngsters getting fat pay packets w/o any work experience.

During my out-of-college days, we used to sign up for management trainees and even for that we had waiting lists.We used to sit for hours together in the libraries to write our subject notes. For every mark we got more than our friends we used to feel on top of the world.

I see all this lacking in todays generation somehow. When i was young thre were absolutely no such BPO/call centre etc jobs. We had to struggle so much right from looking into the local newspaper for vacancies and preparing ourselves for the interview etc A neighbour friend of mine who passed her graduation in 3rd division is fortunately a very smart girl (but not good academically). She got a good job in a MNC and earns decent salary now, has her own car. I feel sad sometimes and feel like going out and giving myself a try and assessing my worth,but now not possible due to family commitments.

Not all of such people have real knowledge about their work, they get hands-on training,some voice modulation classes and then get started. During those days, a receptionist job was the last option available. Today BPO is the bread n butter of many in India,

Today this was on my mind...so wanted to share with you friends...wish i was either young or BPOs existed during my time.bonk

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

dear happy woman,
    even now they take ladies up to 50yrs u can try your hand there, i mean if you are willing to slog in now...yes exposure in many fields, like the saregama i felt should had been during my time i would had enjoyed participating for recognition.

i must add in those time we never looked so tired after a work the way nowadays children look, they come home like a wrung cloth practically with no strength to even say a proper hello, the constant looking at computer screen or what i wouldn't know how to place it...those days the pollution was so less, one could breathe without fear, no crankiness to these days level,the milk, vegetables, and all products were so reachable and fresh sometime direct from the farmers but with the city growth they have all gone beyond reach, and beyond prices too...sunkan

3. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi happywoman,
    sometimes i feel exactly the same way, after doing a five yrs professional course, i was working for peanuts before marriage....now i have mixed feelings abt my cousins in BPO earning 5 times that without any work exp....i calculate how much i would be making if i had continued working....whenever i discuss this with my DH, he always says that in no way we should compare ourselves with them for a lot of reasons...raising a child(ren) and taking care of a household is one of the most important jobs in the world....if there is a choice of staying home and taking care of kids even for a brief while, there is nothing like it.....we keep having impulses of assessing our worth, not becoz we have self doubt...but because all media portray a successful woman as one going out and working in a corporate world...i think if anyone and everyone can work in a BPO then what's the fun...lets do something more creative and will fit our time constraints...we can take up a course and study for a while before children are big enough for us to work full time...no knowledge can ever go waste right...or we can try painting or writing etc...if the world is full of only s/w engrs and BPO/call centre employees then who will do the rest of the work....i poured out my ideas since i thought we were sailing on the same boat (dilemma of stay at home ladies)
    i dont mean to undermine any particular job...

4. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

HI vidhya,

I totally agree with your views. The media portray a successful woman as one going out and working in a corporate world. The monetary yardstick is assumed to be the best measure for assessing a woman's success sometimes. Its true that we as SAHMs can have a variety of activities while doing the most imp task on hand of bringing up the kids. Sometimes when my kids say to their friends that im a housewife or when i fill up some forms etc where i have to write my designation as homemaker, i cry from inside.
    Though my DH is very cooperative, i myself sometimes start doubting whether im worth this (staying at home) or if try out working (whether im worth that).
    Whatsoever, i feel a women should have the continuity of working immediately after marriage, otherwise the family get used to having her around all the time,,,,,which some of them like and some dont!!
    Still pondering over to which category i belong....:hide:

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi happy woman,

I understand how u feel...it is a feeling shared by most of the stay at home moms..especially if u have left a nice lucrative career..the idea is to do what u are interested in like taking up music,art and doing all the things that u cudnt have done with a full time job.....very diff to go to a bpo job after enjoying the luxury of being at home......

Mindi