Nightie in Public

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JanSri, Jan 28, 2015.

1. JanSri

JanSri Silver IL'ite

I didnt mean to upset/offend anybody's sentiments when I started the thread. (And definitely didnt expect it to run to 8 pages!! nightie really?!?!?) However, if you read read the first post, I was specifically referring to a lady I saw wearing a nightie while supermarket shopping and some instances where I've noticed ladies dropping off children to their bus-stops. I wear a nightie on hot and humid nights - particularly the loose worn-out ones, because they are comfy, full stop. But would never drop my son to his bus in my nightie. It takes a minute to change to a salwar. I have taken the short-cut of wearing a kurti over my pj bottoms, coz its still decent.

I remember in UK Tesco banned shopping PJs
    BBC News - Tesco ban on shoppers in pyjamas

Also here in Bangalore, one of the Public Schools (cant remember if it was Delhi PS or National PS), has requested the parents to not drop off their children to the school gate in their night clothes.

I dont have a problem with people wearing their nighie for a 5 sec job outside their homes - like dropping off the garbage or picking up milk.

My thumb of rule, you are wearing your outdoor shoes so wear your outdoor clothes.

2. annapoorni

annapoorni New IL'ite

In us the nightys are three forth... You cannot step out out side this design..in india the designs are maxy ...only thing some ladies having sleeveless or low quality cotton deep necks are horrible look. Otherwise it is ok for short emergency duties for morning and summer time at house....but anyway not suitable for shopping mall. It is showing lazyness.

3. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

There are many varieties of nighties. I don't understand which variety you are discussing here.

My nightie at this moment doesn't look like a nightie at all. When I started wearing it as a new cloth on this new year, my H's and kids' reaction was "why are you wearing outdoor cloth to sleep now'. It is comfy, but very fashionable too.
    Now, the next morning after brushing, I don't have to change this night cloth immediately. With proper inner wear, I can go for shopping with the same dress.
    It looks decent though.

My mom wears her nightie, which is called as housecoat. This is what I called as ugly dress, as it is shapeless, big fat long dress. Necks are too high, and the color combination is always not appropriate for outdoors.
    But then, at the age of 65 she cares nothing about shape or color. As long as the dress is comfy, clean, neat and with proper inner ware, she usually drops my son at his School gate. She accompanies the driver inside the car. But in any case, she requires to get down, she will do so.

When my grandma was old, and suffered often with arthritis, she would prefer to were the same cloth to go everywhere instead of drape her sari.

1 person likes this.
  4. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

kneesmiley...they are just ever ready for a casual AND formal moments at the same time... w.o.w

5. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

It IS pasta... The tops got its name as it gets supported with 2 thin straps over the shoulder

6. heron

heron Platinum IL'ite

those greek godesses, they wore nighties too!...

2 people like this.
  7. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

laugh1smileylaugh1smiley. Its a ladies vest with spaghetti like shoulder straps..

8. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

My maid at times comes wearing a night, she looks sad definitely but like I care, it's her personal choice, I only want the work to be done. It's quiet a common scene in Bangalore, you'll get used to it. And I feel there are bigger problems around than to rant about the nightie, just my opinion :)

9. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

this is what i thought is a house coat
    [​IMG]

and this is what i thought is a nightie:

[​IMG]

and i thought when one needs to step outside their bedroom, they are suppose to drape a housecoat over their nightie.

That's what i thought. Others might differ.

10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

we have two in one... housecoat and nightie together.