Nightie in Public

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by JanSri, Jan 28, 2015.

1. VanithaSudhir

VanithaSudhir Platinum IL'ite

Really !!! ??? 3 nightie for Rs.300 (must be in Ranganathan Street).. In the same street you can get 3 decent kurta pajamas for Rs.300

2. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

No; i meant the price for a single nighty with double stitch starts from Rs.325.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda Finest Post Winner

It's somewhat strange that on one hand we keep fighting for women's rights to dress as they feel comfortable and on the other hand we have such sharp comments to pass on women who choose to be comfortable within their houses and come out as they are for quick errands.

What is called a 'nighty' in many parts used to once upon a time be called a housecoat and it was not at all uncommon to see women come down from their flats or out of their houses to buy veggies from the gadiwala dressed in these. They were covered from top to toe, so indecency ......??? These days I do see some women come out covered with a dupatta. What's wrong with that? Just another dress. Worn with a proper petticoat and proper underclothes, there is nothing unsightly about those. (What about kaftans? They too were a rage once upon a time, same kind of material, pretty shapeless too).

It is not essential that a saree or salwar kurta look good on all people. A saree draped inappropriately can look worse than a 'nighty'.

Women are already over burdened with housework and stuff. Let us cut them some slack and stop expecting them to be perfectly dressed and presentable every time they are within sight of others.

4. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@yellowmango: ROFL!!

1 person likes this.
  5. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

What is indecent in wearing a nightie except it is ugly and not so attractive on young women.

It is comfortable, specially for the people who live in the "hot zones" like many parts of Indian suburbs.

It is easy to wear, easy to wash, and easy to remove. It is cheap compared to other cloths.

Now, I wouldn't expect women to come out to buy veggies on their street or go to grocery shop in the street corner or to visit their next door neighbor with a saree or proper outfits. It is very casual dress, covered fully, not exposing body parts and usually worn inside the house. So, what is the big deal to wear the same comfortable cloth while you are "still" at home (buying veggies at the gate does not count as going out) and doing house chores.

Further, old aged women with arthritis, and other illness finds this cloth extremely comfortable. Should they accompany their children to somewhere, and on the way stop for shopping... I wouldn't expect them to groom up for that reason if they really cared nothing about their looks. If that is not their problem, then why should we worry?

I wouldn't go out in my nightie, because I care a lot about the cloth that I wear.. It should be rightly fitting, sexy, beautiful in color, attractive, appropriate, and good on me. I want something to show me younger than my age.. But if I am in a usual nightie, I will look like a middle aged woman. So, I hate it. It is my problem.

But I wouldn't comment on someone who likes it for other reasons.

PS: We are not speaking about night time lingerie right? Then why someone do not want to come out of their bed room with this nightie, and think this piece of cloth of indecent if worn in public? Just why?????

sindmani, peartree, Swasha and 2 others like this.
  6. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Most of them in this thread were against wearing nightie , I think @satchitananda and @sgbv did the right thing. It is not about wearing nightie or not. It is about how it should be decently worn.
    Just for styling purpose, curvy ladies can’t wear pajama and kurti s at home. It is quite uncomfortable. I don’t support wearing nightie outside home. But in case of some emergency and you have to step out for 2 seconds within the vicinity like throwing garbage it s not wrong.
    The thing is nightie should be worn with proper under garments. I always wear spaghetti like the one which we use for salwars for nightie even when I wear it only for night time. I can’t be without wearing a spaghetti especially when I am using light colored cotton garments. When proper undergarments are used, I think it is quite decent than the shorts, pyjamas and tight Tshirts which are worn by most of the ladies….( my exp)
    Replace dupata or shawl over the nightie with a neat undergarment…..

7. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

What is spaghetti? (Thought it was a kind of pasta that you eat)

8. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

Ladies vest... may be my spelling is wrong........

1 person likes this.
  9. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

some people are fine with DILs wearing nightie at home but not comfortable with PJs......all kind of strange people!! :bang

10. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

you mean spaghetti strap nightie??

1 person likes this.