New Dog Owner Here. Cross Breed: Great Pyrenees- Mountain Cur

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by Rakhii, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thank you hun. ya, i have an appointment for her for spaying on 13th sept. Anything that I should watch out for after spaying?
    I will follow the page suggested. thank you. Other day I made her meal (1/2C rice + 1 C grated carrots +1/2C finely chopped beans + 1C minced chicken + 2.5 C water). Cooked it for 4 whistles. She loved it. If I were to give her fish oil, I just mix it with her food?
    I am still giving her kibbles mostly as i am not too sure if I am giving her a complete balanced meal. I heard from the vet that even though home cooked food is great, it doesnt provide the nutrients that a dog needs and that would show as it ages, even though its seemingly fine now.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I would try to add a source of calcium like bonemeal powder to what you're giving her. The better pet stores also sell frozen raw food that consists of meat with ground bones, vegetables etc. If that fits your budget you can try that in place of plain ground chicken. Be careful with ground beef or lamb mixes at the pet store though as these can be very fatty.
    The fish oil can either be mixed into the food or given separately. As long as your pup is doing well and looking healthy what you're feeding her should be fine. Most, though not all vets are surprisingly ill-informed about nutrition and will continue to push commercial dog foods and prescription diets that have weird ingredients like corn gluten. My mom's family dog in India was fed a largely vegetarian diet except for eggs and lived to a ripe old age!
    Our dog was already spayed when we adopted her so I'll defer to others for advice about that.