New Car / Dealers/ License etc

Discussion in 'New to KL' started by dsouza, Nov 1, 2010.

1. dsouza

dsouza New IL'ite

Hi all,

Planning to buy a new car, and would appreciate your help!

Need some inputs on the following

1. Model - We're looking at Perodua models (Myvi perhaps) right now because they seem to be cheaper. Anybody had any problems with Perodua Myvi?

2. Manual/Automatic - What do people in Malaysia prefer? Do most go for a manual car? What's the trend now?

3. Dealer & Service Centre - Anybody know a good dealer for Perodua ? What service centres do you recommend?

4. License - I have an Indian Driving license, and hoping to convert it. Anyone here knows what the process is.

5. Driving schools - If I cant go thru the License conversion, I'd like to go to a driving school to get it. Any recommendations?

Phew, so many questions...but I guess your replies will benefit a lot of people...So thank you in advance.

2. preethiitech

preethiitech Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi dsouza,

Its a nice thread that you have started. Hope it will benefit many people like you.

1. MYvi is no doubt, a good model that you have chosen (quality affordable and good for small family). Actually, We are also going to book a new car now. For the same budget, we are going for ''Proton Persona'' - Check this out!!

My reasons for Persona rather than Myvi:

• Both the cars are going to cost more or less same price
    • Persona is bigger, accomodates more people, incase of guests or so
    • Persona has a bigger boot, which we need as we often take trips to India and luggage is more
    • Got manual and automatic, with 1 airbag for driver
    2. Manual or automatic is your choice and according to your convenience. But, here most people prefer automatic models.

3.Yesterday, we saw a car sale in USJ1 Mydin and the offer is going on now. Got sale for other cars as well..

For a 1.6M Persona, manual model they give you 2.5k less than original price. For automatic model 1k less til the end of the December.
    (Original price - 54k ; down payment during offer - 3000 ; monthly around - 500rm for 9 years. This is at 4% interest rate)

4. Indian driving license can be converted into international license and used here. For this you have to go to Putra Jaya and fill in certain forms and then submit your passport, visa etc photocopy.. (no need to take the driving test)wait for 20 days or so, (may be 1 month) then you can get the license valid for 2 years. Then every year, you have to renew it in a nearby post office for 30Rm for 1 year validity

5. No need driving school since you already got indian license. Driving schools cost you around 1000k.:spin Do not waste it. Not necessary in your case.

The Service center for the car, I dont know. Since you are in Subang Jaya, may be you can visit the place and know more today.

3. parasmanic

parasmanic Bronze IL'ite

:thumbsupHi Dsouza,

It is waste of money to learn driving all over again....rather just get ur india license converted time taken is approximately 2 months ....if u have international driving license u can drive rent a car till then....n try out

Myvi is the maruti of india....easy to resell incase u r an expat....if not then it can be used as additional car when u have a big one in future ...:thumbsup Auto is better as traffic condition is not so gud in KL ....u dont wanna clutch n break all the way home:rant

We have a Nissan Grand Livina at the moment its a wonderul family car as we have lots of family gathering - 7 seater but boot space is less....when its just us the 2 seats in the rear are converted into boot space:thumbsup About service centres also no idea as the make u have inquired for is different ....

If u want to hire/rent in the meantime check for mayflower thya give good deals...if u pay for a quarter...u can get a exora for 2400 per month:bonk

The decision of buying a car here is the next big thing after house as it eats up a lot of ur money:rant though petrol here is cheap:thumbsup

Keep us posted on ur decision:)

Sonu

4. dsouza

dsouza New IL'ite

Thanks a lot Preethi..Totally agree with you..

We went to take a look at the Myvi model, but very limited trunk space.
    The Persona/Saga models have a larger trunk space especially if we're considering shopping/travelling with luggage/shifting houses etc.

We couldnt make it to Mydin. Could you please give me the number of the agent you are contacting.
    Will give him a call.

Thanks a lot!

5. preethiitech

Hi dsouza,

Today we are going to book the Persona model 1.6 Medium Line/High Line. We are still confused as to which colour we like to get. Can you suggest any colour?

I will Private message to you about the agent.

6. preethiitech

I am not able to PM to you as you are new member. Its alright. The name of the agent is Sunny ng and the number is 0192181229.

His shop is in Subang Jaya/USJ. So, nearer to our place. The price range is good and they provide ''Service for the Car'' for about many times. Check it out.

Now, we plan to go for 1.6 Medium Line 5600RM as down payment and 750RM per month for 7 years because this is 3.9% rate of interest:cheers

Still confused whether we want to get medium Line or High Line as High Line has got ''Auto Cruise'' Facility:idea And what color to choose?

7. parasmanic

parasmanic Bronze IL'ite

We got our Proton Exora from the dealer right next to ikea....its a MPV as we r a family of 4 plus guests keep coming n also we travel a lot so needs loads of space to stack the stuff....

Just love it...got a high end with DVD player n leather seat covers they have promised 3 yrs warranty n extended warranty of 2 yrs if we pay 400 myr...which i dont think we might need :)

Preethi let us know ur decision soon:thumbsup

:cheers
    Sonu

8. dsouza

dsouza New IL'ite

Thanks Preethi..I will contact Sunny. I think the Persona Hi Line has auto cruise as well as ABS with EBD plus dual air bag. None of the other models have them. As for colors, I'd go for lighter ones (silver or gray - less car washes required), but it's a personal choice and also depends on availability.
    Tell us what u finally book and when you'll receive it.
    We'll wait to congratulate you :)

9. preethiitech

@ sonu- wow!! congrats on your new car:cheers you can enjoy traveling and going to places in KL.No to taxi, bus, Lrt:rotflSonu, whats the colour of your car?

@dsouza - yes, what you say about high line is correct. will make our decision soon, may be tomorrow and book it. What are your plans?

will keep informed as to what we buy!

((dsouza- you have suggested about meeting as we live in the same locality. Please see the posts in ''Housewifes/ILs - Lets meet in KL''. Post there and then we can arrange for a get together very soon. I am glad that you have come here:)

10. parasmanic

parasmanic Bronze IL'ite

Hey preethi

my car is silver considering the weather n the fact that we need to do car wash weekly.....the car wash bay is generally only 30 min of availability so cud not get a black....mayb next time

Keep us posted on ur choice n decision:) All the very best for the move to ur new house:thumbsup Congrats:cheers

Sonu