Never Mind.....

Discussion in 'Community Chit-Chat' started by Amulet, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

I had a fantastic junglee childhood! But I am rarely 'nostalgic' as I am 'anecdotal'. I never hark the recreation from those childhood 'worming' days. I have often wondered ...why I am not sentimentally nostalgic.

I suspected, am an ungrateful freak not nostalgic even a smattering when friends speak so fondly of the past....because I (exceedingly) embrace the oncoming reckonings of life. Those 'book-worming' days were tedious and boring in hindsight. Yesterday while reading Geraldine McCaughrean's "The Canterbury Tales", I instructed: Siri to look up 'oriflamme'. After much "ollie" and "or ..or ..." the lumpen AI got wise to my inquiry. And then on kindle I could easily switch to Tom Wolfe's 'The Painted Word'.

My childhood days of 'book-wormy days, worming through books, contemplating phrases, and words' were impoverished from lack of gadgetry sophistication. I envy the childhood of the current generation and their access to Mal Peet's books. Today, with a click on the internet to download, the kid can read any book. In my days, we had to fetch the book physically to read, such horrendous and lumbering days of the yore. I wish I could be reborn as a kid of today. I would have explored broader with this generation's privilege. My own childhood was trifling compared to the mind-blowing childhood of today's generation with internet mobility.

Amulet likes this.
  2. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Last night, I was listening to Wryd Sisters adaptation on BBC radio. Nanny Ogg grumbled: when I was the age of Magrat Garlick .. I had to make-do with ...
    (First thing in the morning, I should squeal this to @Amulet , well, with the distractions the update was deferred till afternoon)

Amulet likes this.
  3. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

My biryani recipe also involves bizarre steps like 'add salt' then twirl around dancing to Mr Blue Fox. ;)

Viswamitra and Amulet like this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I like Novalis' avatar picture... the mount of Mr. Sancho Panza, Dapple, trying to catch up with the annotated Quixote, I bet.

5. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Suggested, perhaps. 'Confirmed', unlikely. I write my posts in a casual vein. I don't keep track, so I don't remember what I might have said; but, the role of endogenous DMT and its induction remain speculative.
    Well, psychotropics provide immediate access to the "oceanic feeling" - ego dissolution on demand if you will. Netflix for Nirvana! Here is a recent experiment. I do think that mystics and experienced meditators have learned to access these states without the administration of exogenous chemical agents.

The technical details are irrelevant. Viswa, you will find the introduction and the discussion informative regarding the history and the state of the art (for e.g., the EDI & MEQ). The figures are interesting as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    Viswamitra likes this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@sokanasanah,

Confirmed is overreach and I clearly misspoke. My apologies. What you have shared is already quiet interesting and I am printing it to digest the content with more focused attention.

Viswa

7. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

No apologies required. I do believe that endogenous molecules like DMT, voluntary control of autonomic physiology, etc. is where the power of the yogis/mystics/Buddhist monks comes from. I meant to say that to actually confirm it, one would have to demonstrate change from basal levels of such molecules to some sort of induced level and correlate that with some subjective state like NDE or ego-dissolution or something like that. We may be getting to a point with fast fMRI and other technologies where we can get a handle on such internal states, but we're not quite there yet.
    Yes, those papers, and the references therein, give a good overview. Enjoy!
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@Novalis:
    I went and saw "Moved to Never Mind"... in that "On Acknowledgement" thread, and then came here to see what was moved...
    Nothing had been moved.....
    It is like one of those 20ft containers...
    The movers said, it's been moved, but there is nothing at the destination.
    Lost at sea ?

9. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Hehe! The oceanic 'move' has been ill-fated like the monumental odyssey! Barely escaping from the sea-monsters with instagram worthy pictures, stuffing earplugs with spotify to avoid the sirens, bribing Circe with non-GMO pork chops, now ..now ...passing the caves of the Cyclopes who seem to be obsessed with FB and twitter, the container is underway.

10. Novalis

Novalis Gold IL'ite

Seneca often scoffed that no genius could be identified without some touch of madness though it still remains unresolved if genius begets madness or madness evolves into genius. Either way, both are complementary to a thinker's psyche. You either go mad thinking too much or only mad people could think in astonishing ways.